Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Screener Examining Reading Materials

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
Checked bags are scanned electronically and don't get inspected unless the scanner does not like something in the bag. Then it comes down to the baggage inspection station and gets opened. The alarm item is inspected and returned to the bag unless it is hazardous material. The notice of inspection is inserted in the bag and the whole process is video recorded. IF something is missing from your bag you can contact TSA with the baggage tag number and they can tell you if the bag was sent to inspection, they also know who opened the bag regardless of whether there is a video of it. Locks get lost. When there are several hundred bags that are coming down for inspection it can be a challenge to keep up with the flow and make sure that the lock gets put back on the bag.
Are you saying that TSA screeners are unable to do their jobs properly. Isn't putting the travelers lock back on the bag part of the process if one is there?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Checked bags are scanned electronically and don't get inspected unless the scanner does not like something in the bag. Then it comes down to the baggage inspection station and gets opened. The alarm item is inspected and returned to the bag unless it is hazardous material. The notice of inspection is inserted in the bag and the whole process is video recorded. IF something is missing from your bag you can contact TSA with the baggage tag number and they can tell you if the bag was sent to inspection, they also know who opened the bag regardless of whether there is a video of it. Locks get lost. When there are several hundred bags that are coming down for inspection it can be a challenge to keep up with the flow and make sure that the lock gets put back on the bag.
Particularly for the bolded part, which is news to me, is there anywhere where this process is officially and publicly posted? And if not, WHY NOT?

Would be logical to have something like this printed directly on the inspection notice, or at least on the website.

(I'm sure if someone raise this issue with someone at TSA, "because eyecue posted it" isn't going to mean much!)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
eyecue's a big boy and can take care of himself, but I have to speak out.

We've had TSOs post false and misleading information here before. We've had TSOs post here solely for the purpose of antagonizing and insulting.

Someone may be able to prove me wrong, but to the best of my recollection, eyecue has never claimed that the way the hidden rules are implemented at DEN is the same way at every airport - unlike what some TSOs post.

He has described what should happen, how the process should work, at DEN. Unless he's actually worked in other airports or knows someone very trustworthy who does, he can't say what goes on elsewhere - and he doesn't.

If you think I'm being biased towards eyecue, feel free to stalk my posts. I have disagreed with him on more than one occasion (SSI rules the public can't view about 'dual purpose assistive devices', aka, 'cool cane that looks like a light saber') and won't hesitate to do so in the future if I disagree with him.

JMHO.

That said, it is inexcusable that TSA doesn't bother to put locks bag on the bags. If a TSO doesn't relock my bag and a baggage handler subsequently opens it and steals from me, as far as I am concerned, TSA is responsible for leaving my bag unlocked.

I either carry bags with metal zippers or I secure the zip pulls so they can't slide - the baggage handler 'pen in the zipper' trick doesn't work with my bags unless TSA has removed the lock from my bag.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:21 am

F something is missing from your bag you can contact TSA with the baggage tag number and they can tell you if the bag was sent to inspection, they also know who opened the bag regardless of whether there is a video of it.
It would be nice if AskTSA told this to people who complain about missing articles and damaged bags, especially bags without notes in them.

This page says nothing:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

And instead, tells one to complete this form:

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...-08-15-508.pdf

knowing full well it is very intimidating and probably makes 95% of claimants give up before they start.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It would be nice if AskTSA told this to people who complain about missing articles and damaged bags, especially bags without notes in them.

This page says nothing:

knowing full well it is very intimidating and probably makes 95% of claimants give up before they start.
Keep in mind, what eyecue posted may only be applicable at DEN.

Every airport and checkpoint and screener operates according to their own personal, unpublished (or unavailable to the public) rules.

I wonder about this:

... a 3-week delay for mail sent to Federal facilities due to screening requirement
I send a claim form in an envelope and it takes three weeks to 'screen' it?

What special form of 'screening' is required that takes three weeks? Are the letters being xrayed and swabbed individually?

Last edited by chollie; Mar 17, 2016 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Quote:

Originally Posted by petaluma1

This page says nothing:

I wonder about this:

Quote:

... a 3-week delay for mail sent to Federal facilities due to screening requirement

What special form of 'screening' is required?
Anthrax screening at a central location.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Anthrax screening at a central location.

Every time I think I've heard it all, there's a new instance of a corrupt government boondoggle.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:43 pm

Every time I think I've heard it all, there's a new instance of a corrupt government boondoggle.
It's been going on since 2001 at least.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

Multiple legislative and executive offices on different dates in Washington (as well as other locations around the country) have been the targets of anthrax (and other chemicals/substances) attacks via the US mail. Other private sector entities have been attacked as well.

Is the cost exorbitant? Maybe. Is it an out and out "corrupt" boondoggle (al la TSA)? Most assuredly not.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:58 pm

I mean 'boondoggle' in the sense of someone got an exorbitantly priced government contract to provide the necessary materials and services, if the process wasn't outright outsourced (like so many background checks have been).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:38 pm

So what do they do if it is a foreign language? i travel with stuff in swedish.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
For what it is worth, the image is an AP file picture that has nothing to do with the subject of the article (TSA Audit Discovers Over 70 Air Transport Hires With Terrorism Ties). There is no information about when and where this photo was taken.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
For what it is worth, the image is an AP file picture that has nothing to do with the subject of the article (TSA Audit Discovers Over 70 Air Transport Hires With Terrorism Ties). There is no information about when and where this photo was taken.
Nevertheless, it doesn't look posed or faked.

I would have thought that the best way to screen a magazine for hidden threats would be to hold it upside down while leafing through it. That way, the screener focuses on threats without getting distracted perusing content.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
We don't confiscate items in baggage other than HAZMAT items, and we have the airlines actually confiscate it not us. Then we put a HAZMAT love note in the bag saying: "You had HAZMAT. It's not allowed, if you want it back talk to your airline. And a link to the FAA hazmat website."
Wait wait wait. My boss' wife's brand new expensive dress was HAZMAT??? Really?
If it wasn't hazmat, it more then likely fell out and said TSO either didn't notice it fell out ...
Or a dress folded flat in the middle of a stack of clothes "fell out" and wasn't noticed? Pull the other one.
or was too lazy to put it back in said bag. In rare cases it was pilfered.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Except that I don't think "rare" means what you think it means.

What special form of 'screening' is required that takes three weeks? Are the letters being xrayed and swabbed individually?
They have to get someone else from another government agency to come over and help sound out all the big words. Although I hear that they're getting pretty good at recognizing a lot of the four-letter ones.

"Language barriers" = an ongoing struggle for the TSA.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: TSA
What happens to all the non-hazmat items that do not get put back in the bag?

For example, when I pick up my bag, the lock is missing again, there's a love note inside and my favorite fleece is gone. If my fleece wasn't stolen, then I'm assuming the TSO tossing my bag closed the bag and left my fleece out.

Does the TSO stick my fleece into someone else's bag or just toss it in with legitimate 'hazmat' stuff?
That actually depends on what it is. At DEN things that are left out of bags go to DEN lost and found. However DEN rejects a lot of things for hygiene reasons and so it ends up in the trash. There was a case where a bottle of liquor came down the belt system by itself, a TSO believing that it fell out of a bag, put it back in the bag, the bottle shattered somewhere later along the line and ruined the laptop and everything in the bag. TSA paid for that.

Originally Posted by BSBD
My checked bags have been opened and searched dozens of times; however, I have only ever found a notice of inspection once.

My wife experienced a significant problem due to a TSA-searched bag. She was told by a TSA suit in ORD that baggage inspection is NOT video recorded, and was politely invited to go away and stop bothering him.

Yeah, they won't tell you who opened it, or why, or why they repacked it so sloppily that carefully, securely packed items were damaged/lost. AND there won't be a video of it.

Let me fix that for you: Locks get cut off and tossed.
If a lock gets cut off it is supposed to be put back in the bag it was cut off of.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Are you saying that TSA screeners are unable to do their jobs properly. Isn't putting the travelers lock back on the bag part of the process if one is there?
I am just saying that it happens...

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Particularly for the bolded part, which is news to me, is there anywhere where this process is officially and publicly posted? And if not, WHY NOT?

Would be logical to have something like this printed directly on the inspection notice, or at least on the website.

(I'm sure if someone raise this issue with someone at TSA, "because eyecue posted it" isn't going to mean much!)
It is not posted anywhere and the reason for the camera is to document any theft or damage that occurs during the search. OF course to make a claim it would have to be timely. If a person waits too long then there wont be a record of it. We also document any damage that we find that was present before the bag arrived, like a laptop with a shattered screen. Or if it was damaged by us.

Nevertheless, it doesn't look posed or faked.

I would have thought that the best way to screen a magazine for hidden threats would be to hold it upside down while leafing through it. That way, the screener focuses on threats without getting distracted perusing content.
But its so hard to see the center fold upside down!

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Wait wait wait. My boss' wife's brand new expensive dress was HAZMAT??? Really? .
Flammable! J/K

Or a dress folded flat in the middle of a stack of clothes "fell out" and wasn't noticed? Pull the other one..
It would be incredibly hard to conceal something like that because of the way a baggage inspection station room is setup. On top of that there are multiple officers staffing the location.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.