Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA agent: "I'm sorry, the picture on your GE card isnt acceptable"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent: "I'm sorry, the picture on your GE card isnt acceptable"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Driving license, passport, passport card, Global Entry card, etc. I'm carrying two or three or more than I "need".
I only carry what I need. I have had my wallet stolen before, both at home and abroad. It is inconvenient to lose IDs at home; it is REALLY inconvenient to lose them overseas.

TSA demands a single government-issue photo ID. If they have 'issues' with the IDs other government agencies are producing, they should not be taking it out on me at the checkpoint.

If TSA wants to start demanding that everyone carry at least two pieces of government-issue photo ID in case one of them doesn't meet their standards, then they should be required to document and report every instance when they reject a government-issue ID 'just because'. The pax should have access to that report, as should the agency who is guilty of issuing the 'faulty' ID.

OT, but I wonder how it's going to play out with the few remaining states that haven't required their inhabitants to get 'Real ID'. Will pax in those states be forced to get a passport to be able to fly domestically?

Last edited by chollie; Oct 27, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Just curious...what are all these government-issued (or other) photo IDs that 'everyone' seems to be carrying around all the time?

I travel with one photo ID, my DL. I don't have a Costco card or any other photo ID.
I carry a Drivers License, Concealed Handgun License (issued by the same agency that issues the drivers license), Military Retired ID, and Passport Card all of which are photo ID's.

I also have Costco and Sams cards both of which have a picture.

But I choose which one to give to TSA. Generally the Passport card because they have less information.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Oct 28, 2015 at 6:05 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
TSA demands a single government-issue photo ID. If they have 'issues' with the IDs other government agencies are producing, they should not be taking it out on me at the checkpoint.
That's part of the point here. The GE card is prduced by the same agency that runs TSA
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I carry a Drivers License, Concealed Handgun License (issued by the same agency that issues the drivers license), Military Retired ID, and Passport Card all of which are are photo ID's.

I also have Costco and Sams cards both of which have a picture.

But I choose which one to give to TSA. Generally the Passport card because they have less information.
Last I asked TSA no longer accepted Concealed Handgun Licenses so I stopped carrying mine when I'm flying. I have my Drivers License, Retired Military ID, GE card, and Passport though I only carry my Passport when I'm traveling OCONUS.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Last I asked TSA no longer accepted Concealed Handgun Licenses so I stopped carrying mine when I'm flying. I have my Drivers License, Retired Military ID, GE card, and Passport though I only carry my Passport when I'm traveling OCONUS.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

TSA clearly states that a "weapon permit" is not acceptable. I don't understand why it is not since the CHL and DL are issued by the same agency in this state and is clearly indicated as so on the permits.

Out of habit, possibly bad, I keep the DL and CHL together. Here if we are stopped and armed must show police both items. The way I do it I will never be caught up short.

Just thinking I could always but the CHL with the weapon. No weapon no problem.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
RAmen, my friend, and may you be touched by his noodly appendage.

Personally, I'm thinking of taking up Frisbeetarianism.

Mike
Circular reasoning
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry

TSA clearly states that a "weapon permit" is not acceptable. I don't understand why it is not since the CHL and DL are issued by the same agency in this state and is clearly indicated as so on the permits.

Out of habit, possibly bad, I keep the DL and CHL together. Here if we are stopped and armed must show police both items. The way I do it I will never be caught up short.

I put my CHL with my weapon so if I have the weapon I have the CHL. I'm not in the habit of carrying the weapon unless I'm practicing or on a long drive. I won't go to open carry when it becomes legal next year.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:37 pm

Were CHLs ever allowed? I'm wondering if TSA's issue with CHL's is that they are not RealID compliant.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were CHLs ever allowed? I'm wondering if TSA's issue with CHL's is that they are not RealID compliant.
In my state both the DL and CHL are issued by the Department of Public Safety which is made up by the State Troopers, Texas Rangers, and other divisions.

At one time TSA did honor our CHL because of the issuing agency. I think they should still do so, only way to get a CHL is to get a background check.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:03 pm

No.

If two government agencies (under the same leadership) can't agree on the acceptability of a the photo ID one of them issued, it is NOT the innocent pax who should pay the price.

I don't know about you, but I am not going to complain to CBP and tell them I don't like the picture they've taken because I think it might not meet TSA's approval - and I don't think you would dare to either.

It think it's great that you have multiple photo IDs. I do not, nor do many of the folks in my family.
The ID is valid, but for the person working at the airport, your picture has to match what you look like. It's pretty basic. If there's a problem with the ID, then instead of being a whiny victim, the OP should deal with it. Again, if it can't get you into a bar, then fix the problem.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Do you carry all three whenever you travel, domestic and abroad?

I strip my wallet before I go out of town, so other than an ATM card and one cc (neither with photo), I have no other form of ID. I only take what I will absolutely need for wherever I am going.
I will always have two IDs. Passport added only for intl travel. I tend to have a light wallet but in my electronic gadget bag I have a big binder clip with crap cards- hertz, Sixt, Radisson, european stuff, costco, Priority Pass, etc, two AMEX $100 cards for emergency. This generally just lives there and only is occasionally useful. I travel so much that changing my 'kit' for each trip is a recipe for disaster. I have 4 credit cards that will always be in the wallet. In fact the only change is a pouch with intl money, intl sims and the passport which gets dropped into the laptop bag for a trip with intl components.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
The ID is valid, but for the person working at the airport, your picture has to match what you look like. It's pretty basic. If there's a problem with the ID, then instead of being a whiny victim, the OP should deal with it. Again, if it can't get you into a bar, then fix the problem.
You've completely lost me (other than that you are blaming the pax).

The OP didn't say his ID wouldn't get him into a bar. This thread is not about bars.

The OP didn't say he was challenged because the agent didn't think his ID looks like what he looks like. He said that one agent decided that it was invalid because the issuing agency (under the same overall umbrella as his own) clipped the chin off the photo but decided it was still good enough to issue.

The agent's own supervisor didn't agree with him (which is pretty shocking).
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I will always have two IDs. Passport added only for intl travel. I tend to have a light wallet but in my electronic gadget bag I have a big binder clip with crap cards- hertz, Sixt, Radisson, european stuff, costco, Priority Pass, etc, two AMEX $100 cards for emergency. This generally just lives there and only is occasionally useful. I travel so much that changing my 'kit' for each trip is a recipe for disaster. I have 4 credit cards that will always be in the wallet. In fact the only change is a pouch with intl money, intl sims and the passport which gets dropped into the laptop bag for a trip with intl components.
I've never had a problem yet, but I cringe whenever I hear the words 'do you have another form of photo ID'.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it's pretty basic that a "picture has to match what you look like", then it's a pretty basic mistake for the TSA character to make a "false negative" match between the person and the presented ID.

It seems the problem that needs fixing is the error-making TSA employee -- no less so when a preschool child is as good or better at avoiding "false negatives" when trying to do a match between a person and a presented picture. . Fortunately another TSA employee corrected the TSA employee who engaged in a "false negative" "match" when it came to cross-checking a person's face against the ID photo of the person's face.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who said the ID couldn't get a person in a bar? Shouldn't the federal agency that issued the ID in question determine if it met their standards.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.