Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Trains Could Soon See “Airport-Level” Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:46 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite

Is it sweeps month again for TV stations?

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/0...evel-security/

A short "news" item about TSA, AMTRAK, and train security.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
Is it sweeps month again for TV stations?

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/0...evel-security/

A short "news" item about TSA, AMTRAK, and train security.
This makes total sense.

Strip passengers naked and sedate them, then tie them to their chairs.

No bad guy would ever think about doing something to the tracks, bridges, or driving trucks into trains.

Brilliant!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let them try it on the MARC Brunswick Line. There will be casualties.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's because of the France incident. Saw this reaction coming.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Remember the Long Island Railroad massacre in 1993? Unlike with the European train incident a few days ago, there were some people killed and well over a dozen wounded by gunfire. Passengers jumped that gunman too.

No metal detectors screening all passengers at LIRR stops in NY/NYC then; nor even after 9/11.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 26, 2015 at 4:28 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is What Congress Actually Wrote

This letter outlines what Congress (at least two senators) is mad about: Classic TSA stuff. Congress directed the TSA to do things in 2007 and, guess what? -- the TSA simply blew off Congress.

Groping passengers isn't on the list, but you know that this is what the TSA will do, because this creates the visible illusion that they are doing something and placates the "anything for security" crowd.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This letter outlines what Congress (at least two senators) is mad about: Classic TSA stuff. Congress directed the TSA to do things in 2007 and, guess what? -- the TSA simply blew off Congress.

Groping passengers isn't on the list, but you know that this is what the TSA will do, because this creates the visible illusion that they are doing something and placates the "anything for security" crowd.
The list of requests from Congress to the TSA which have been ignored is most likely as long as your arms and legs and my arms and legs put together.

And, of course, the TSA still has not published a final rule regarding body scanners, which is a total and complete violation of the law.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The list of requests from Congress to the TSA which have been ignored is most likely as long as your arms and legs and my arms and legs put together.

And, of course, the TSA still has not published a final rule regarding body scanners, which is a total and complete violation of the law.
I don't think Congress is "requesting" but are mandating.

Of course given TSA's willingness to ignore federal court orders I doubt Congressional orders will get anymore attention.

Seems to me that some senior TSA people should be held in contempt and jailed until the agency complies with the law.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems to me that some senior TSA people should be held in contempt and jailed until the agency complies with the law.
The agency should be considered rouge and forceably dismantled.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't think Congress is "requesting" but are mandating.

Of course given TSA's willingness to ignore federal court orders I doubt Congressional orders will get anymore attention.

These two senators are democrats and certainly want to tow the party line. So, the tone of this letter is a lot of "please," "Shucky-darn, it's been seven years. Please tell us how you're doing meeting our one-year deadline," and, "Let us know when you will complete all of these actions." There wasn't one angry word; no "What have you been doing over there at the TSA?" no, "Get these done within a year or you butt's ours." Unfortunately, this letter was all about "requesting."
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's because of the France incident. Saw this reaction coming.
The UK government wants to bring in NOS on the Eurostar as a result :[
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: TSA
This falls more in line with what the ATSA called for from the very beginning, the organization is the "TRANSPORTATION Security Administration", not just aviation. There was a focus on aviation at the beginning as a part of the responses in the aftermath of 9/11 (which is logical, as the wounds were still raw nationally). This is merely a sign that someone else has actually been reading the ATSA and the basics it called for. I am uncertain how much steam this will pick up, as the language is still fairly polite in this. Once the language begins to turn from "advise this committee on the status of, blah blah" to "You are subpoenaed to this committee to testify upon the progress of the following items", you may see some more momentum for changes. There has already been a slight increase in railway positions (or at the least, more postings for them) that are attached to TSA - but those have all been compliance/regulatory styled positions. I do not see this coming about in the current political climate, but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
We will expand the whole rotten shebang to trains for one reason, and one reason only - it's a big BIG business opportunity.

Don't waste time on patrolling the tracks and don't get in the way of freight trains or railway workers - just double and triple-down on groping pax.

Just when I thought there might be an alternative way for me to travel domestically with my nitro pills, when I have the extra time to take the train instead of fly.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
European authorities seem intent to do some kind of window dressing games to give a perception of "securing" passengers in the aftermath of the August incident, but the fact of the matter is that an investment in screening all train passengers just isn't going to be an effective use of resources to mitigate risks from violent, nuts armed with WEIs; nor is there enough money to secure all commercial passenger train routes by screening all passengers for WEIs. Guess what they are suggesting as a "layer"? Passenger ID requirements. Talk about a TSA-style joke, but unfortunately the secEUrocrats are increasingly cut of the same cloth as the characters heading up and working for DHS/TSA in the US.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
This falls more in line with what the ATSA called for from the very beginning, the organization is the "TRANSPORTATION Security Administration", not just aviation. There was a focus on aviation at the beginning as a part of the responses in the aftermath of 9/11 (which is logical, as the wounds were still raw nationally). This is merely a sign that someone else has actually been reading the ATSA and the basics it called for. I am uncertain how much steam this will pick up, as the language is still fairly polite in this. Once the language begins to turn from "advise this committee on the status of, blah blah" to "You are subpoenaed to this committee to testify upon the progress of the following items", you may see some more momentum for changes. There has already been a slight increase in railway positions (or at the least, more postings for them) that are attached to TSA - but those have all been compliance/regulatory styled positions. I do not see this coming about in the current political climate, but I could be wrong.

If we look at how badly TSA has screwed up airline travel we would be wise to do everything possible to keep the infestation out of other travel venues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.