Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2015 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This post is for the 2015 "How Effective is the TSA?" Poll, conducted by Flyertalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine.

Please start by taking the short poll here.

Once you have taken the poll, please add your thoughts to the discussion in this thread.
Print Wikipost

2015 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by JDiver
If they have prevented thousands of firearms from getting on commercial aircraft, there must have been tens of thousands of firearms that did make it onto airplanes, given the actual percentiles documented of failing to detect simulated firearms secreted in various carry on bags.
They don't reveal what percentage of those were off-duty police officers. Based on news articles, I'd guess about half.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They're more effective than last year: in 2015, they've discovered over half the times I've forgotten I had a bottle of water (that Delta gives out) in my backpack. In 2014, they found under half of them (once missing three of them).
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
So, I am British and I had a terrible experience of the TSA this year on the final leg of my American Journey. I passed through LAX T3 and SFO T2 during my trip and the TSA were great there and we were through in less than 5 minutes and they were friendly. Now for my NZ 1 flight back to LHR from TBIT. The security queue I was put in was fine up until the point where I go through the metal detector and it goes off for no reason. So the woman sends me to go through the 3d scanner thing. But no, I'm not allowed to enter cause there is no one to operate it??? So everyone that gets a beep joins this massive queue just for this scanner, luckily I'm at the front of it. It must be at least 20-30 people just for this. The woman operating the metal detector is shouting at the top of her voice asking for someone to come over but nothing happens and she just keeps shouting. At any other airport there would be some competency to have a male officer to just do a quick pat down and send us on our way, but no, not here. THIS IS THE TBIT FFS, NO MALE OFFICERS AVAILABLE?? So we stand in the queue for at least 20 minutes and I say to the woman "Can't you just go and get someone rather than keep shouting?". She responds with "You don't talk to me like that". I was like Ok...... - Anyway a male officer finally turns up and operates the machine, which I'm fully used to in the UK, But the cherry on the cake, it shows I have something concealed on my left side about the size of my arm.... Quick pat down, oh wait it's just my normal arm, good job guys. A simple pat down would've fixed that problem in the first place. From the time the male officer turned up to me getting through was 20 seconds... That's how long it should've been. I am indifferent on the TSA, I had 2 great experiences and one terrible, although that may be a one off.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cattp
So, I am British and I had a terrible experience of the TSA this year on the final leg of my American Journey. I passed through LAX T3 and SFO T2 during my trip and the TSA were great there and we were through in less than 5 minutes and they were friendly. Now for my NZ 1 flight back to LHR from TBIT. The security queue I was put in was fine up until the point where I go through the metal detector and it goes off for no reason. So the woman sends me to go through the 3d scanner thing. But no, I'm not allowed to enter cause there is no one to operate it??? So everyone that gets a beep joins this massive queue just for this scanner, luckily I'm at the front of it. It must be at least 20-30 people just for this. The woman operating the metal detector is shouting at the top of her voice asking for someone to come over but nothing happens and she just keeps shouting. At any other airport there would be some competency to have a male officer to just do a quick pat down and send us on our way, but no, not here. THIS IS THE TBIT FFS, NO MALE OFFICERS AVAILABLE?? So we stand in the queue for at least 20 minutes and I say to the woman "Can't you just go and get someone rather than keep shouting?". She responds with "You don't talk to me like that". I was like Ok...... - Anyway a male officer finally turns up and operates the machine, which I'm fully used to in the UK, But the cherry on the cake, it shows I have something concealed on my left side about the size of my arm.... Quick pat down, oh wait it's just my normal arm, good job guys. A simple pat down would've fixed that problem in the first place. From the time the male officer turned up to me getting through was 20 seconds... That's how long it should've been. I am indifferent on the TSA, I had 2 great experiences and one terrible, although that may be a one off.
Shame on you for bringing your left arm into this country! Sadly, the real shame is the TSA's shoddy standards or whatever the cause is of incidents like this.

As to whether they are actually preventing any terrorist acts, I don't know but I'd be surprised if they did. TSA isn't even very good at the Security Theater they do provide.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Yes we must all cut off our limbs before we travel because they are a 'threat' to security. I don't think the TSA really stops terrorist acts, what really foils them is intelligence agencies. Almost all the plots are stopped before they even reach the airport I'd say 99% of the time.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:08 am

Cool TSA precheck lane - CLOSED

As far as flight safety,bless TSA acting as a deterrent.
I was extremely satisfied with TSA until my last departure from Bush Intl./Houston.
Sun. eve @ 6p.m. they had closed the pre-check lane.I got to stand in long line with every other flyer.
After paying $100, for known traveleler,I expected pre-check to be open at such a busy travel hour.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: United, Continental, American, Southwest
Airport Security is, at best, a "feel good" exercise for the public.

Three examples: 1) Standing in line at a LAX checkpoint watching the TSA agent manning the X-Ray continually nodding off and a TSA colleague stepping up to poke him to keep him awake. The unit supervisor was standing against the wall nor more than 15 feet from Mr. Sleepy and didn't react until I suggested to her that Mr. Sleepy should be sent home. 2) The Somali national who sailed through security at Newark with only a crumpled temporary driver's license and NO photo ID. The screening officer sought the approval of his supervisor who waved the passenger through the checkpoint after a unsuccessful attempt to see additional identification. 3) The fact that my 8-inch stainless steel plate in my leg and my heart pacemaker are not detectable by the body scanners or magnetic detectors strongly suggests that unless the TSA develops an acceptable method for checking body cavities the security procedures are far from fool-proof.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flight22
Have you any evidence they've ever deterred a single terrorist, or just deterring law-abiding passengers from flying?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Want to bless the latest actor playing James Bond?

Acting is quite distinct from being.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Want to bless the latest actor playing James Bond?

Acting is quite distinct from being.
It's security theater, acting is quite appropriate for theater.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:40 pm

TSA is totally ineffective! Israel does not need to virtually strip search you to maintain security. The first thing they need to do is hire intelligent personnel instead of the high school dropouts, criminals, and thieves they now employ. They are nothing but security theater PERIOD! Bend over slaves while we do you.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adocann
TSA is totally ineffective! Israel does not need to virtually strip search you to maintain security. The first thing they need to do is hire intelligent personnel instead of the high school dropouts, criminals, and thieves they now employ. They are nothing but security theater PERIOD! Bend over slaves while we do you.
Oh, I disagree!

What other organization can so effectively waste so many taxpayer dollars and keep so many unskilled, unemployable people on the peoples payroll?

The TSA is masterful, just not at what it should be.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 16, 2015 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by sethb
Have you any evidence they've ever deterred a single terrorist, or just deterring law-abiding passengers from flying?
It is equally fair to turn the question around: have you any evidence they have not deterred a single terrorist?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
I was extremely satisfied with TSA until my last departure from Bush Intl./Houston.
Sun. eve @ 6p.m. they had closed the pre-check lane.I got to stand in long line with every other flyer.
After paying $100, for known traveleler,I expected pre-check to be open at such a busy travel hour.
flight22

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Dogdoc
Three examples: 1) Standing in line at a LAX checkpoint watching the TSA agent manning the X-Ray continually nodding off and a TSA colleague stepping up to poke him to keep him awake. The unit supervisor was standing against the wall nor more than 15 feet from Mr. Sleepy and didn't react until I suggested to her that Mr. Sleepy should be sent home. 2) The Somali national who sailed through security at Newark with only a crumpled temporary driver's license and NO photo ID. The screening officer sought the approval of his supervisor who waved the passenger through the checkpoint after a unsuccessful attempt to see additional identification. 3) The fact that my 8-inch stainless steel plate in my leg and my heart pacemaker are not detectable by the body scanners or magnetic detectors strongly suggests that unless the TSA develops an acceptable method for checking body cavities the security procedures are far from fool-proof.
Dogdoc

Programs: United, Continental, American, Southwest

Whoa! Long time lurker, first time poster. Welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.