Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Intra-EU travels subject to national cash control measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-EU travels subject to national cash control measures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cash, always. Generally not cards, if you mean credit/debit cards with the bearer's name on them; but it may depend on the country.

It's always cash for countries that have (whether coerced or not) bought into the OECD FATF's "recommendations"; and often its some other kind of financial instruments too. While some kind of cards have come on the radar for customs and other anti-money-laundering authorities, not commonly an issue like cash is.
ok I only /always travel with the most $ 300 cash. Cards never.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
USA rules include some instruments other than cash, such a bearer bonds and travelers' checks IIRC. I would expect other countries to have similar rules, although if you're close to the limit, you need to look carefully at the regulations of the individual countries involved.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
This is an interesting point. The "you must declare over 10k EUR when entering or leaving the EU" signs abound, but in few places do you have signs that cash must be declared in accordance with individual country laws.

I ran into this once having declared in ARN - I was stopped by customs in MXP. Fortunately, they understood I was not a drug kingpin or a terrorist mastermind (when I showed them my ARN declaration) and I just had to go through endless forms in two offices.

Italy especially has its own economic (and mafia) problems - I would advise declaring when crossing any Italian border, even if it means having to hunt down the local customs or "guarda di finanza" personnel who are having their 7 hour lunch break. Or are conspicuously absent. Or do not work on Sundays (ps this is not really an exaggeration).

Sometimes local customs agents are unfamiliar with the exact declaration requirement. Crossing from France into Italy, several customs agents tried to decide whether or not a declaration was needed. They came to a conclusion that if the amount of money you had declared when entering the country/the EU had changed you had to declare again.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A reminder that travels between/amongst EU/EEA/Schengen airports, even if flying just within the EU, are subject to national cash control/declaration requirements for import/export.

Apparently this tripped up a famous American rap celebrity flying on a private jet from Italy to the UK:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0Q637W20150801

If you are planning to carry more than around 10,000 EUR or USD of value in any combination of currencies, even if going from Italy to France, and are crossing any national border, make sure to double check the transport/declaration requirements prior to the trip and count the cash and near equivalents carefully if not wanting to be subjected to asset seizure/fines.

So much for the EU having freedom of mobility for capital.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
USA rules include some instruments other than cash, such a bearer bonds and travelers' checks IIRC. I would expect other countries to have similar rules, although if you're close to the limit, you need to look carefully at the regulations of the individual countries involved.
Rules are similar in many places due to the U.S. and the U.S.-orchestrated push via the OECD FATF. The "war on money" has been peddled around the world by frog-marching out cause célèbres -- such as the "war on drugs", "war on prostitution/sexual exploitation", "war on human trafficking", "war on tax evasion", "war on terrorism", "war on who knows what". All to get more and more states on board doing much the same sort of thing.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is as concerning are the requirements for financial institutions in the U.S. to file SAR's (Suspicious Activity Reports), for little to no reason, on their customers in order to satisfy regulators.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What is as concerning are the requirements for financial institutions in the U.S. to file SAR's (Suspicious Activity Reports), for little to no reason, on their customers in order to satisfy regulators.
Definitely, but not unreasonable (the response, not the requirement) when one understands that a financial institution's primary purpose is to make money for its shareholders and not necessarily what its customers feel is in their best interests. The financial institution will experience greater negative repercussion from failing to follow government diktats than from the complaints of the relatively few of its customers it secretly reports upon.

It's kinda like when an underage person tries to convince a bartender to serve him drinks: the calculus for the bartender should be how much does he make overall versus how much will he make from that one customer? Of course, if you throw into the mix highly unstable variables such as the attractiveness of the customer, the possibility or probability of a romantic encounter and how much the bartender has drunk himself and the calculus can become quite difficult indeed.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Definitely, but not unreasonable (the response, not the requirement) when one understands that a financial institution's primary purpose is to make money for its shareholders and not necessarily what its customers feel is in their best interests. The financial institution will experience greater negative repercussion from failing to follow government diktats than from the complaints of the relatively few of its customers it secretly reports upon.

It's kinda like when an underage person tries to convince a bartender to serve him drinks: the calculus for the bartender should be how much does he make overall versus how much will he make from that one customer? Of course, if you throw into the mix highly unstable variables such as the attractiveness of the customer, the possibility or probability of a romantic encounter and how much the bartender has drunk himself and the calculus can become quite difficult indeed.
The fact that a financial institutions purpose is to make money has nothing to do with SAR's.

The requirements of filing SAR's is so broad that anything can be labeled as suspicious.

I see no reason for government to have such broad reach into peoples everyday business and affairs. People are suppose to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures and SAR's clearly violate that concept.

If government believes a crime has been committed do the police work, get a warrant, and obtain whatever records the warrant specifies. Otherwise get the hell out of the peoples personal and private business.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:54 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
In the UK the dec limit is 10k, but their rules and regs also state anything over a 1,000 pounds can be stopped, questioned, and provenance/legality must be proven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.