Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Issues Secret Warning on ‘Catastrophic’ Threat to Aviation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Issues Secret Warning on ‘Catastrophic’ Threat to Aviation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alanR
People having fillings, hip joints & metal skulls forcibly removed
Even healthy newborn babies have metal in their body -- some metal is needed for the human body to function normally even absent surgery.

The TSA should just ban human passengers for having metal and too much water in them.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even healthy newborn babies have metal in their body -- some metal is needed for the human body to function normally even absent surgery.

The TSA should just ban human passengers for having metal and too much water in them.
thats pretty funny - until you remember the reports on the people who have spontaneously combusted/exploded in attacks on government officials. Okay, maybe not spontaneously, but definitely exploded!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
thats pretty funny - until you remember the reports on the people who have spontaneously combusted/exploded in attacks on government officials. Okay, maybe not spontaneously, but definitely exploded!
If government officials ban non-government personnel/passengers from having any and all water and metal, the government officials will be safe from all but government officials. "The Other" humans can't survive without water and metal.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
the government officials will be safe from all but government officials.

Ah, see, now you are catching on! And after a while we wont have to worry about them at all. Nice when a plans comes together.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Liquids nonsense all over again. Theoretical but impractical threat.
improbable, yes. but not so impractical according to this from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

The reaction between potassium permanganate and glycerol or ethylene glycol is used as an alternative to the magnesium method. When these two substances mix, a spontaneous reaction will begin, slowly increasing the temperature of the mixture until flames are produced. The heat released by the oxidation of glycerine is sufficient to initiate a thermite reaction.[13]

Apart from magnesium ignition, some amateurs also choose to use sparklers to ignite the thermite mixture.[25] These reach the necessary temperatures and provide enough time before the burning point reaches the sample.[26] This can be a dangerous method, as the iron sparks, like the magnesium strips, burn at thousands of degrees and can ignite the thermite even though the sparkler itself is not in contact with it. This is especially dangerous with finely powdered thermite.

Similarly, finely powdered thermite can be ignited by a flint spark lighter, as the sparks are burning metal (in this case, the highly reactive rare-earth metals lanthanum and cerium).[27] Therefore it is unsafe to strike a lighter close to thermite.

I dont know how much pomegrante juice and de-icer liquid is needed - but I suspect if its packaged well enough TSA wouldnt catch it; take a route with very light passenger loads or a redeye and there should be more than enough time to light a sparkler.....
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Pomegranate juice? Yummy. Readily available airside at some airports. I hope they don't ban pomegranates.

A little of that metal sodium and a little H20, and "bang". Is that the "liquid" bomb the TSA characters had in mind since the beginning of the TSA's "war on water" and other harmless L/G/As began? No. But that won't stop TSA from reacting to everything and nothing.

It's nice that some in government consider the possible WEI smuggling methods, but what are they going to do about it that isn't a dog and pony show? Worrying about problems without a practical solution doesn't really do much good, or does it?

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like the way DHS OIA classified text which can be found all over the Internet.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by KDS
You're free to provide evidence to show how TSA-based intelligence documents look. If not, then your comment must be taken as hearsay in view of the lack of contradictory evidence.
I am not free to do that. I would cost me my job. I think you need to look up definitions of hearsay and anecdote.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eyecue
I am not free to do that. I would cost me my job. I think you need to look up definitions of hearsay and anecdote.

Is it hearsay or anecdote that there are secret rules in place at DEN (and not other airports) governing the dimensions of 'dual purpose assistive devices', ie, clear lucite canes (no concealed swords or drugs) that look like fake sci-fi light swords?

That's information that is not available to the travelling public (except when it was posted here). Fortunately, you didn't lose your job and the explanation was appreciated.

Last edited by chollie; Feb 28, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended

The US economy has picked up steam and new job opportunities and job offers have been increasing.

Does the TSA have current or former employees who have been prosecuted and convicted for sharing the hokey-pokey SSI material?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:15 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
OK, I'll play. I took 15 seconds to go get some definitions after enduring another TSA grope tonite:

Anecdote: An account regarded as unreliable or hearsay.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=definit...66d5f5090c1432

Hearsay: Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hearsay
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Indeed.

"Rust" -----------------------> no ferrous metals allowed.
"Aluminium powder" -------> no non-ferrous metals allowed.
TSA's obvious solution -----> no metals allowed.
More likely something along the lines of the liquid rules--restrict the amount of metal to less than could bring down a plane.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
More likely something along the lines of the liquid rules--restrict the amount of metal to less than could bring down a plane.
Naw, you guys are not thinking in Gubment Newspeak.

This particular "threat" assessment will undoubtedly be debated hotly by a bunch of TSA bigwigs who don't fly commercial (or bypass screening when they do), and the inevitable outcome will be an amendment to the 3-1-1 rule which extends the prohibition from liquids, gels, and aerosols to liquids, gels, aerosols, and POWDERS.

Naturally, this will upset anyone who carries powdered cosmetics, baby powder, or spices and seasonings, but the upset will be small enough that the rule extension will be practical and workable for the front-line TSOs.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - the 3-1-1 extension would bring any and all POWDERED SUBSTANCES (like talc or sugar or various illegal substances that look like them) into the "TSA is REQUIRED to search for them and test them" realm. As a happy side-effect, TSA will then be specifically looking for any powdered substance and chemically testing it to make sure it's not a thermite bomb, thus catching many more drug smugglers. It's not rust or aluminum powder. Then what is it? Kinda looks like heroin. Better call the airport police! BIG CATCH!

But maybe I'm over-reacting to the whole "powders as primary search objectives" possibility. I do that sometimes.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
On a ten hour flight, fifty terrorists on one plane with nail files can scrape enough powered aluminium off their tray table supports and seat arm rests to create a thermite device.

Obviously the solution is to ban all aluminium parts from commercial aircraft, out of an abundance of caution.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
First, the liquids rule doesn't actually do that - it restricts the amount of liquid per container and the number of containers. Per passenger. Per transit of the checkpoint. Multiple passengers, multiple passes through the checkpoint = as much liquid as you want.

Second, I'm not an expert but I imagine the amount of metal in a laptop or two smart phones would be "too much". Or the frame/handle/wheels of a rollaboard, or a cane, or ... Commercial air travel would collapse if you ban those. And that's before you consider (as TSA never does) several passengers combining their allowances.

Not to mention that the aircraft itself is largely made of metal, for example:
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
On a ten hour flight, fifty terrorists on one plane with nail files can scrape enough powered aluminium off their tray table supports and seat arm rests to create a thermite device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.