Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Serial stowaway slips aboard Minn-Fla flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:40 am
Original Poster

http://www.news10.net/story/news/nation/2015/02/09/serial-stowaway-slips-aboard-jacksonville-flight/23155913/

She does it again!

"An alleged serial stowaway who somehow slipped past airport security onto a flight to Jacksonville and then reportedly talked her way into a villa at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort had to change her accommodations Monday morning — to a cell at the Nassau County Jail."
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Funny and disturbing at the same time. Funny because she comes off as a sympathetic character with obvious mental issues....kind of a "my crazy aunt" thing. Disturbing in that a 63 year old woman has found a way to defeat the security at several airports.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Funny and disturbing at the same time. Funny because she comes off as a sympathetic character with obvious mental issues....kind of a "my crazy aunt" thing. Disturbing in that a 63 year old woman has found a way to defeat the security at several airports.
Embarrassing is more like it, but then again, TSA has proved they have no shame. I wonder what the party line will be this time. I think the Red Teams should just hire this woman to test airport security - she's certainly proved she's qualified.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Vecturist14
Embarrassing is more like it, but then again, TSA has proved they have no shame. I wonder what the party line will be this time. I think the Red Teams should just hire this woman to test airport security - she's certainly proved she's qualified.
And she's done it to a certain extent in several airports which speaks to a systemic problem and not isolated to one checkpoint at one airport. I have a friend who used to be in TSA management but I've lost track of him in the last couple of years. He's a retired Army military police officer and I'd love to hear his explanation of how she continually finds the gaps in security. Having worked with him I'm pretty sure he's ballistic about it if he's still with TSA. He didn't have the greatest sense of humor and didn't suffer fools well.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:22 am

God bless her! I'll be she hasn't a clue in the world that she is proving that the TSA is basically useless.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Vecturist14
^^
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA should contract this woman to help understand the weaknesses of TSA's security. As many times as she had evaded TSA I would think a high 6 figure contract would be in order.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA should contract this woman to help understand the weaknesses of TSA's security. As many times as she had evaded TSA I would think a high 6 figure contract would be in order.
TSA will state that she was screened for WEIs and allowed to pass --- exactly the same standard that many here have claimed should be TSA's limited task.

If anything, people should be celebrating this woman's successes.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:48 am

Of course there's also the airline in all of this. She got on board without a boarding pass???? Then again the little old lady isn't all that "mentally disabled" if she figured out how to use an incoming guest's name to get herself into a hotel. Give her credit for being clever and figuring out how to work the system or in this case systems.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
TSA will state that she was screened for WEIs and allowed to pass --- exactly the same standard that many here have claimed should be TSA's limited task.

Do we know for a fact that she was screened?

Even if she was screened isn't current TSA policy such that no non-worker gets past the security checkpoint without either a gate pass or a boarding pass?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins

That's assuming she went through the checkpoint. It's still not clear to me how she keeps getting past the TDC.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
There are at least 5 ways I know of to get into the boarding/terminal area including at least 3 "legal" ways of getting through TSA screening without a boarding pass; many have been discussed on FT. Ms. Hartman does it the least complicated way: by being particularly adept at identifying which dragon is lazy/gullible and then blending in with a family/group in that line.

What is more puzzling to me is the line, "Airline personnel did not discover she did not have a ticket until the plane landed." Since when does WN, or any airline for that matter, check for tickets AFTER landing? Something is very confused.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:37 pm

Just watched a CNN report on this and now there's some question about just exactly how Hartman got to Florida. Could be she was not on a flight from Minneapolis at all and got to Florida by ground or legally on a flight. More to follow.......
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:03 pm

So..if a little old, possibly demented, woman can do this so often, what about actual terrorists? Certainly terrorists would have more resources and time to do research than a little old lady.

Further proof that the TSA's document checking is for show. Then again, most FT'ers in this forum know that. Illegals, high school, and college students all know where to get fake docs, why wouldn't a terrorist be able to do the same?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Existing thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-ticket-6.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.