Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

..., but, this time, he is suing their butts:

A Cleveland man packed up an urn with his mother's cremated remains and headed to Puerto Rico to spread her ashes as she had requested. But when he arrived and unzipped his bag, he discovered a TSA inspection notice and his mother's ashes spilled all over his suitcase.

The horrific incident is documented in a lawsuit filed in Cleveland's federal court today, where Shannon Thomas is suing the Transportation Security Administration and unnamed TSA agents for what happened.

<snip>

In the two years since it happened, Thomas says "No person speaking on behalf of the United States or TSA has ever issued an apology, explanation, or notification to [Thomas] aside from the bag search notice.
The lawsuit itself is attached to this article.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Good for him. No accountability...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sadly I feel this will just get passed around saying there is no proof a member of the TSA did this blah blah blah, professionals who respect...

Not blaming the guy for this happening but if you were traveling to do such a personal action for your loved one wouldn't you carry that person with you? Wouldn't have stopped the TSA from scattering them in the terminal in the name of safety but I would want the urn as close to me as possible.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Not excusing the TSA here, but I question why he checked the ashes.

We transported by MIL's ashes to Virgin Gorda a few years ago. We had the ashes in a travel container, informed TSA at BDL that we had them and took them to be screened separately. As much as I hate the TSA, I must admit that the screeners could not have been more helpful and respectful. They made it into an easy and relatively painless process.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Not blaming the guy for this happening but if you were traveling to do such a personal action for your loved one wouldn't you carry that person with you?
Because some people are not as savvy or frequent of travelers as others and would think that something like this incident could happen. Also it notes that the urn was heavy perhaps that in itself was reason enough.

That said I think the one missing element here is that it does not appear that the PAX marked the urn as containing human remains. If it was that would have most certainly have been stated in the suit. That is probably why the TSA opened it - could not see through thus opened it to inspect. What happened after that is anybody's guess. TSA certainly has a responsibility in this case but so does the PAX if it indeed was not properly marked.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 6, 2014 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Not excusing the TSA here, but I question why he checked the ashes.

We transported by MIL's ashes to Virgin Gorda a few years ago. We had the ashes in a travel container, informed TSA at BDL that we had them and took them to be screened separately. As much as I hate the TSA, I must admit that the screeners could not have been more helpful and respectful. They made it into an easy and relatively painless process.
Why not check the ashes?

The person who mishandled the ashes in the checked bag received the same training as the people who handled your ashes at the checkpoint. They just didn't care. As I understand it, the problem was that they didn't bother to reseal the container after clearing it. This is not the first time a lazy TSO (or one with a seriously warped sense of humor) has tossed an opened cleared container back into someone's bag without closing it.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Why not check the ashes?

The person who mishandled the ashes in the checked bag received the same training as the people who handled your ashes at the checkpoint. They just didn't care. As I understand it, the problem was that they didn't bother to reseal the container after clearing it. This is not the first time a lazy TSO (or one with a seriously warped sense of humor) has tossed an opened cleared container back into someone's bag without closing it.
If you carry it, you can monitor what is happening and step in as required.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:28 pm

If you carry it, you can monitor what is happening and step in as required.
And that's still no guarantee that the screeners will perform their jobs properly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012...ing-procedure/
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And that's still no guarantee that the screeners will perform their jobs properly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012...ing-procedure/
Infuriating. Still the wiser move to carry it with you and not check it. And you should know the rules, so you can call them on any violations.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Still the wiser move to carry it with you and not check it. And you should know the rules, so you can call them on any violations.
Ah, but now you've hit upon the great Catch-22 of TSA-passenger interactions: we can't know the rules.

Oh, sure, TSA will publish stuff on its website. But that's no guarantee that the TSOs will know the rules. If you challenge a TSO regarding the rules, you'll often get a response like "the website is out of date" or "there's another rule that applies that I can't tell you about because it's SSI" or simply "you're reading that wrong". Supervisors don't necessarily know the rules any better.

Because passengers are not given a definitive, authoritative source of The Rules, in any interaction with a TSO, passengers are at the whim of the TSOs interpretations of the rules. And if the TSOs are wrong, passengers have no effective recourse.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: TSA
The amount of time that has passed is disturbing. I cant help but wonder if this was filed two years later in hopes that the video in the baggage room is now deleted. That would leave TSA a little on the weak side of a case. However, the processes that are in place cover this event rather well. IF there was anything amiss in the bag when it was opened to check the container, there is a report on it. The reason for the report is because the notice of inspection that is put in the bag makes it appear that TSA is at fault. With the things I see baggage go through in terms of abuse by the mechanical systems and the ground crew, the item could have been put back in original condition and it became spilled from the jarring etc. that takes place when baggage is moved to the plane.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
The amount of time that has passed is disturbing. I cant help but wonder if this was filed two years later in hopes that the video in the baggage room is now deleted.
Reading the actual filing (linked in the original post) reveals a timeline that isn't nearly as "disturbing".
  • 5 October 2012: the original events occur
  • 8 August 2013: the plaintiff files an Administrative Claim with TSA
  • 15 April 2014: TSA formally denies the claim
  • 2 October 2014: lawsuit filed
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by eyecue
The amount of time that has passed is disturbing. I cant help but wonder if this was filed two years later in hopes that the video in the baggage room is now deleted. That would leave TSA a little on the weak side of a case. However, the processes that are in place cover this event rather well. IF there was anything amiss in the bag when it was opened to check the container, there is a report on it. The reason for the report is because the notice of inspection that is put in the bag makes it appear that TSA is at fault. With the things I see baggage go through in terms of abuse by the mechanical systems and the ground crew, the item could have been put back in original condition and it became spilled from the jarring etc. that takes place when baggage is moved to the plane.
IF there was anything amiss in the bag and it was caused by a TSO, there is not a report on that.

But let's play along for a moment. If a TSO had actually spilled something in a piece of luggage and files a report on it, what actually happens? Does the report include photographic evidence of the bag's condition? Does the bag's owner get notified when there is a report?

What happens if there is such a report and the bag's owner files a complaint? Is there some way that a complaint can be linked to a bag, to a report, or to a specific screener?

I can actually imagine a scenario where a TSO spills human remains in a bag, files a report, the bag owner files a complaint, and the complaint is dismissed because the report and the complaint are filed in different computer systems and handled by different departments who never talk to each other. All neat and tidy, and wholly unsatisfactory.

Until there is some verifiable chain of custody of checked luggage, the airline can blame TSA, and TSA can blame the airline, and nobody is held accountable for luggage loss, damage, or theft. But until that time, I choose to hold the person who opens and rifles through the luggage liable for theft and internal damage, and the people who throw the luggage about liable for crush and impact damage.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:06 pm

Recently flew with Hunan remains in the form of ashes,
Not an urn - the approved container suitable for x-Rays.

Told the good folks at the screening that they were ashes. That I had the necessary paperwork. That they could do ANYTHING they wished EXCEPT open the container. This was communicated. Slowly. Calmly, with certainy. They scanned it, but never touched the container.

No idea why one would check an urn into checked baggage. If they cannot scan it? Urns are sometimes metal. They must open it. Urns don't open easily, and spilled ashes is a common occurance. Checking an urn into the hold is a careless move on the part of a passenger,
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:00 pm

If I ever find myself in a position where I have to transport human remains somewhere, I will do it one of two ways:

1- No flying. Drive, bus, Amtrak, or somewhere where there's no TSA and I retain custody.
2- Mail with tracking and insurance. I recently sent a Priority Mail box and a Parcel Post box full of personal items from CA to FL to avoid flying with them [not ashes], and they arrived on time and fully intact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.