Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Woman Boarded Delta Flight Using Strangers Boarding Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman Boarded Delta Flight Using Strangers Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ou81two
Care to prove anything you say? I fly most weeks. I've never had water taken from me inside of security. That includes in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Quite clearly you have a different, less comprehensive travel history than others and/or don't travel with water in bottles when clearing security checkpoints, fixed or otherwise. Gate-area and transit security screeners' prohibition of water in bottles has happened repeatedly when flying US carriers from beyond the US. It used to even take place at the TSA gate-area screenings in places like ORD, MIA, MSP, SFO, DFW, LAX, BOS, DCA, IAD and elsewhere in the US, but that ended rather quickly.

The changes you have mentioned would let people who are part of a conspiracy enter an airport to coordinate things from the inside.
Who cares, as long as the cockpit door is secure and everyone and their belongings have been effectively screened to keep contraband WEIs off my flights? I don't care. They could more easily do way more killing and injuring of people landside, and landside is where the risks of "conspiracy" and actual acts of terrorism are greatest and would remain so if the TSA dog and pony show were very effective in interdiction of contraband WEIs at the primary screening checkpoint.

The current system makes sure that anyone who gets in the airport has a ticket and ID that match and as a result that ticket has been run through the Secure program.
It doesn't do that in that way.

The current system is a bunch of silos that are but a sieve even for people actually on the no-fly list. All it takes is a will to break the law -- not like terrorists are above breaking laws -- or to be commissioned with challenging the system under color of authority -- to run circles around what you mention above.

It doesn't even require a willful circumvention of rules for a blacklisted person to get by the TSA, no less so when the TSA can't even proofread very well when checking IDs against boarding passes.

Changing this would mean that people like known terrorists could easily get access to all of our major airports. It's presently very hard for them to do that. You post on a security forum and don't get this?
If there were any free terrorists in the US, they can even today easily get access to major US airports. It's not like any or all of our major US airports have fixed checkpoints on all roads, train/tram/subway lines, sidewalks and bicycle paths leading to our major airports.

I don't care if OBL's Egyptian successor is on my flight as long as he has been effectively screened for contraband WEIs. If I recognized him, I would have him arrested on landing.

Have any other great ideas? Maybe we can do away with those pesky and uppity ATC's next.
Is that your idea? Ronald Reagan did that already. He was President of the country for more than 93% of the 1981 calendar year and for - little bit more than 7 years after the end of that year. Don't remember that? It wasn't my idea then and still isn't.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Then anyone can access the secure area. Given that this policy is standard throughout the first world, I have to scratch my head and ask if they know better or if you do.
Hogwash.

"This policy" (ID checking) is non-existent in Australian and New Zealand domestic airports, which were still part of "the first world" the last time I checked. Anyone can access the airside part of Australian or New Zealand airports to see off their friends, meet their relatives or just go to the shops and restaurants, as long as they've gone through the checkpoint and been screened for weapons.

Further, the ID check is so easily defeated by buying a ticket in a false name and photoshopping the boarding pass to match your ID that it's meaningless. You can even buy a refundable ticket in a false name and then cancel it, so you have all the paperwork to get through the checkpoint but no intention to fly.

The whole thing is simply theatre to impress the gullible. In that sense, it's clearly "working."
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:59 pm

GUWonder,

When you learn what paragraphs are, I'll tear apart whatever poorly put together thoughts you have up there. I'm not going to lower myself to reading a post constructed that way. Multiple quotes are used when you're quoting multiple people.

"Further, the ID check is so easily defeated by buying a ticket in a false name and photoshopping the boarding pass to match your ID that it's meaningless. You can even buy a refundable ticket in a false name and then cancel it, so you have all the paperwork to get through the checkpoint but no intention to fly."

Except they scan your boarding pass to make sure that the name on the boarding pass matches the reservation. They then check your ID against it. While not bullproof, nothing is, it makes is much harder for someone to get through without having their ID checked against the no fly list.

It's not theater. There's reasons why these people do what they do.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:05 pm

Except they scan your boarding pass to make sure that the name on the boarding pass matches the reservation. They then check your ID against it. While not bullproof, nothing is, it makes is much harder for someone to get through without having their ID checked against the no fly list.
You've neglected one important concept: verifying that the ID presented actually belongs to the passenger. Getting a fake ID that matches the name of someone not on the no-fly list is trivially easy --- as any underage college student can prove to you. For someone with serious intent to cause mischief, constructing a plausible fake identity is not an onerous task.

Just because there are reasons that they do these things doesn't mean that the net result isn't security theater.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:23 pm

No, I didn't. See my qualifier there of while not bulletproof. Getting a good fake ID really isn't as easy as you would think. I'm surrounded by college students, hang out with some from a few different schools and know people looking in to get one. On an international flight, it means a fake passport which is much harder.

Regardless of what security folks in this country did you'd still have 90% of the same people complaining. There's valid reasons for pretty much every thing that these people do. All of which is summarily ignored by the hive mind complaining you see here.

Ever wonder why this forum is buried in such a far away part of the website? Think about that.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fraudulent use of real passports is a daily reality, and those frequently don't get recognized at all as being fraudulently used until the flight is completed .... if even then. Australia is a great example as of late in this regard, and they are our security lapdogs.

It's theater, and the reason for the theater is to make the paranoid and gullible to believe the theater is effective security when it is nothing more than snake-oil.

It's easy as pie for a person on the no-fly list to play around with a few refundable tickets using a bit of online name/title and birthdate/sex change games to see how online check-in works for a domestic flight; and then they use an ID with the near-name boarding pass or even an exact name match boarding pass.

And that is without even the use of a fake ID or a fraudulently real ID. The TSA characters have no ability to reliably interdict fraudulently-acquired ID. And the TSA are pretty lousy in even interdicting fraudulently-used real ID for someone else.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.