FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   USDHS - TSA July 2014: "Enhanced security" overseas airports with US flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1590944-usdhs-tsa-july-2014-enhanced-security-overseas-airports-us-flights.html)

gailwynand Jul 4, 2014 4:48 am

Some people really have no idea when they are being trolled.

halls120 Jul 4, 2014 4:50 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80 (Post 23140423)
He's not among the mold we've seen in this thread, so its not a fair association here.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80 (Post 23140640)
What on earth are you talking about?

Talk about a tried and true tactic of demeaning everyone and everything that might not agree with you.

You mean the tactic that flyerORD is currently using on this thread? ;)

For further evidence, see below.

Originally Posted by flyerORD (Post 23140694)
I think you just have to be old with your balls at knee level....and resistant to change....and maybe white? OK white could be a stretch, but the first two seem a given.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 23140903)
Yes, I'm old if you consider ~60 old.

I am also white, as if that matters, which it doesn't, but you seem to think it might.

I was once like you. In fact, I was once very much like you and not that long ago. I have learned a few things since then.

There are some things more valuable than life itself. I put the preservation of liberty near the top of that list. I am not talking about military service, but that may be a part of it. I am talking about an informed citizen willing to stand in the breach to protect and preserve the liberties that were bought with a significant and high price.

This weekend is a good one to be reminded of that. I will never be like those that pledged their "Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor." I would only hope that I could partially emulate their courage and wisdom.

What has this got to do with anything? Everything. Allow me to explain.

A life of liberty is a life of risk. Liberty involves the ability to place ones fortune on the line to earn a higher return. But, it necessarily risks that fortune. It may involve taking a risk with ones life, but being free to do so is part and parcel of the liberty to pursue those things in life that one wishes to enjoy, even those that involve risk. What about my risk to my sacred honor? That one is the hardest as it presumes an honor endowed by a Creator, thus the sacredness of it. It is an honor recognized by God as acting in a manner that reflects the name and nature of God. Our founders thought our liberty to be endowed by that Creator, standing and risking my honor, my life and my fortune in the preservation of liberty was thought to be acting in the manner of God Himself. That is why I honor liberty.

If liberty is a life of risk, security, particularly absolute security, requires a payment of liberty. That is a payment that I am unwilling to freely make, although it has become a requirement of modern living. Absolute security is only bought through the surrender of liberty to a tyrannical authority. That authority promises security, but they can only deliver an image, a deception, that security is absolute. By the time it is realized that it is an illusion, the loss of liberty has been completed. It is incredibly difficult to purchase it back.

A life of liberty is a life of risk. A life of absolute security is a surrender of risk and liberty to authoritarian control.

Airport security is a microcosm of that surrender. There is little or no liberty at the check point, at least not the type of personal liberty that was envisioned at our founding. The 1st and 4th amendment are openly abused and those liberties surrendered in the name of your precious security.

Although few if any advocate for it, if I am given the absurd choice of "anything for security" or the total lack of security, I will choose the latter knowing that I have been given the liberty to enter into a contract with a private company to move my sorry butt great distances and fantastic speeds without intervention, prevention or circumvention by a government acting outside its enumerated powers. Will I be more unsafe? Probably, but that is a risk I will take. If you do not wish to do so, contract with another carrier that provides you the opportunity to surrender your liberty for payment in security.

I will support your right to enter into that contract. All I ask is that you support my desire to not have to enter into that agreement. As it is, we all must surrender and give up the liberty to move great distances very quickly with the limited freedom we desire.

Ink, that was a very powerful statement. unfortunately, our new friend isn't listening to anyone who disagrees with him/her.

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 23141247)
I think you need to spend some time today thinking about what it means to be a true American, as I believe you're coming up far short.

First, we believe in liberty and freedom. We do not cower in fear from phantom bogeymen. We do not respect a government or leaders who do not respect us.

Your entire view of aviation security is completely flawed, but I am more surprised after all these years to encounter someone still grasping at the last breath of 9/11, still worried about phantoms under the bed (or seated across the aisle with the wrong color skin) ready to detonate a bomb.

So on this day of our independence from tyranny, I suggest you read and understand these words from one of the greatest patriots in our history:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

If you are carrying a US passport, then he is speaking to you, and I suggest you listen.

^^ People like flyerORD drive right past the fact that the 9/11 Commission Report doesn't mention law gate security as a cause of that event.

InkUnderNails Jul 4, 2014 5:16 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80 (Post 23140972)
This is a whole lot of melodrama to rather be fondled by a $7/hour airline employee rather than a government employee, which is still better than the other alternative of not being cared about at all by the airline employee.

And to those who wanted substantiation of my total lack of security comments... voila..

Let me be the one to say that it is not Halloween, and feel free to save your Patrick Henry costume for later use and I only wish to see myself and other flyertalkers not blown to bits in the sky if we can help it.

By no means am I Mr. TSA cheerleader for everything. For one, I think the long term liquid rules are unnecessary and too bothersome and counterintuitive for permanent implementation. And i'm the one painted as a caricature, brainwashed figure while you are shouting to throw everyone in jail. Ridiculous

I am not shouting to throw anyone in jail. Quite the opposite. That was my first post in this thread. This may be my last.

I do not have a Patrick Henry costume. I would not feel I have the credibility to wear it.

It is not melodrama. It is what I believe. Ridicule of my beliefs does not play well and lowers the respect I had of your opinion.

Your reading comprehension stinks. I do not advocate total lack of security. I simply postulated that if given a choice between none and what we have none is preferable. It was not advocacy of none.

Happy Independence Day. Have fun.

Oh, one more question, is that you, Ron? If yes, we have missed you.

petaluma1 Jul 4, 2014 5:32 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 23141933)
I am not shouting to throw anyone in jail. Quite the opposite. That was my first post in this thread. This may be my last.

I do not have a Patrick Henry costume. I would not feel I have the credibility to wear it.

It is not melodrama. It is what I believe. Ridicule of my beliefs does not play well and lowers the respect I had of your opinion.

Your reading comprehension stinks. I do not advocate total lack of security. I simply postulated that if given a choice between none and what we have none is preferable. It was not advocacy of none.

Happy Independence Day. Have fun.

Oh, one more question, is that you, Ron? If yes, we have missed you.

My thought also, but I, for one, have not missed him.

halls120 Jul 4, 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 23141986)

I don't think it's Ron. Ron was older with life experience. Our new friend is full of the energy and arrogance of youth.

InkUnderNails Jul 4, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 23141986)

I have missed him in the sense that one misses a sore thumb when it finally stops hurting.

flyerORD Jul 4, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 23141247)
I think you need to spend some time today thinking about what it means to be a true American, as I believe you're coming up far short.

First, we believe in liberty and freedom. We do not cower in fear from phantom bogeymen. We do not respect a government or leaders who do not respect us.

Your entire view of aviation security is completely flawed, but I am more surprised after all these years to encounter someone still grasping at the last breath of 9/11, still worried about phantoms under the bed (or seated across the aisle with the wrong color skin) ready to detonate a bomb.

So on this day of our independence from tyranny, I suggest you read and understand thyese words from one of the greatest patriots in our history:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

If you are carrying a US passport, then he is speaking to you, and I suggest you listen.

Nope - Not afraid to fly, but I am happy there is a single agency setting policy in regard to security, rather than allowing airlines, who have been caught on numerous occasions cutting corners, picking the lowest bidder.

And if I don't listen, exactly what will you do? You're issues with airport security is a you problem. I don't live my life endlessly complaining.

flyerORD Jul 4, 2014 7:25 am

Halls - I don't believe I specifically named anyone in the comment you refer to. If you belong to that group and it personally offended you I can't help you there. That's a you problem.

flyerORD Jul 4, 2014 7:47 am

Spiff - Perhaps you and your cult followers (that's what your club is, right), care to elaborate on this? Or, do you feel your time as a "moderator" is better spent calling people communists and suggesting they be shot by firing squad? How the leadership of this website allows you to continue spewing the garbage that comes out of your mouth baffles me. Orwell isn't going to save you every time. And being a bully isn't going to get you anywhere with me. You might have others fooled into thinking you're some sort of expert. I'm not one of them. You're an old guy with a chip on his shoulder who hates the government at all levels. Maybe at one time you were denied employment with the Feds and you clutched onto that rejection and allowed it to consume you. Your level of psychosis overwhelmes you. The proof is in your post history - and FT somehow lets you get away with it. Kuddos to crazy!

http://www.gichd.org/fileadmin/pdf/LIMA/NMX_report.pdf

petaluma1 Jul 4, 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by flyerORD (Post 23142285)
Nope - Not afraid to fly, but I am happy there is a single agency setting policy in regard to security, rather than allowing airlines, who have been caught on numerous occasions cutting corners, picking the lowest bidder.

And if I don't listen, exactly what will you do? You're issues with airport security is a you problem. I don't live my life endlessly complaining.

You've complained about and denigrated anyone on this thread who disagrees with you.

chollie Jul 4, 2014 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80 (Post 23141032)
Passenger has visited Yemen. How will the airlines know? Or wont they? How will red flags for tighter screening be found? How would these even constitute probable cause? Or wont they?

"Tighter screening"? What does that mean? Are you suggesting that current screening is lacking?

If TSA has done its job at the checkpoint, the pax has nothing on him/her that can be a threat to the safety of the plane. Who cares if s/he's been to Yemen or the moon? If the TSO hasn't been jacking his/her jaws with other TSOs standing around or watching his/her cellphone instead of the xray, nothing will go through the checkpoint that could cause damage to the plane.

Of course, TSA may also have done its job by letting airport workers and other TSOs in and out of the sterile area unchallenged. Dangerous items may have been allowed in the sterile area - through lack of adequate screening of workers and TSOs or with deliberate compliance of those TSOs and airport workers who think they're smuggling drugs or cash or guns as they have in the past.

All the watch lists in the world and all the invasive pax handling aren't going to catch those items or stop a pax with bad intentions from passing through the checkpoint unchallenged and then gathering the items smuggled in by his/her TSO/airport worker accomplices.

You see pax discomfort at the checkpoint and think all the loopholes have been closed. You ignore the very real threats that march unchallenged through the checkpoint and into areas no pax has access to every day.

Wow.

flyerORD Jul 4, 2014 8:22 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 23142400)
You've complained about and denigrated anyone on this thread who disagrees with you.

I do care if you think security policies should be relaxed and outsourced to the point that it puts me and others in danger. And if old people comments personally offend you - that's a you problem. If they bother you that much, maybe there's some truth in them.

flyerORD Jul 4, 2014 8:28 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 23142470)
Of course, TSA may also have done its job by letting airport workers and other TSOs in and out of the sterile area unchallenged. Dangerous items may have been allowed in the sterile area - through lack of adequate screening of workers and TSOs or with deliberate compliance of those TSOs and airport workers who think they're smuggling drugs or cash or guns as they have.

This is one area I agree with you on. And yet, you don't acknowledge that. Instead, you break out your emoji guide and use LOL, as if a nervous tick has consumed you.

halls120 Jul 4, 2014 8:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerORD (Post 23142304)
Halls - I don't believe I specifically named anyone in the comment you refer to. If you belong to that group and it personally offended you I can't help you there. That's a you problem.

So you admit that you are attacking and disparaging other posters on account of their age and color.

Interesting.

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 23142400)

^^

chollie Jul 4, 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by gailwynand (Post 23141868)
Some people really have no idea when they are being trolled.

Sure they do. Every once in a while, you suspect it might be some junior high kid young enough to get spanked and learn something.

It's the 21st century equivalent of a group of little kids standing on a corner yelling 'poopy head' at adults driving by, laughing uproariously, egging each other on, thinking how cool they are. Until bed time.