Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WIRunner
TSAPressSec, Ross, is the TSA's official rep on FlyerTalk. He has agreed to answer questions, though some answers will take time. You can also contact on him on Twitter: @TSAMedia_RossF.

Note these important posts by Ross:
Unfortunately, I can't devote all my time to this site, as I still have other job requirements, etc. So please be patient with me...especially on my third day here. However, I will go back to our experts to answer these questions that have been posed above. I know the moderator is working on a better system to sort questions in the appropriate threads.
and
Many, many questions, and I am working to get answers. I have thick skin, and want to assist in answering them. I apologize for the delay, but I was out of the office on personal leave.

With that being said, please be patient. Some of the questions have to be researched, and I want to vet them with the appropriate personnel internally before I post them here.
Below are questions so far answered (or not) in this thread:
  1. Question:
    I was the lucky random beep at the WTMD in PreCheck tonight at Portland. Instead of the quick hand swab, I was sent to the MMW. Since nobody uses it, the MMW has to be fired up, calibrated then I was told not to remove my belt, wallet or shoes. Of course those two required me to be patted down. Checkpoint supe and all three TSOs said it's a new, nationwide policy that started a few days ago. So, why the change? It added an extra two minutes tonight, but I was the only one in PreCheck. If this happens at 6-7a, it's going to make it a total mess....
    Answer:
    Yes. We are going to expand the use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) in TSA Pre✓™ at select checkpoints. However, the vast majority of passengers in TSA Pre✓™ will still be screened via a walk-through metal detector. This will primarily be rolled out at larger airports with more than one TSA Pre✓™ lane.

TSA Pre✓™ eligible passengers, who prefer to be screened via an AIT, will now have the opportunity to do so at these select checkpoints. Many passengers with joint replacements, prosthetics or other medical devices that would regularly alarm when passing through a walk-through metal detector often prefer this technology because it is quicker and less invasive than a pat-down. Unlike standard lanes, passengers will not be required to divest their shoes, light outerwear and/or belt in the AIT.

Previously, if a passenger alarmed when passing through the walk-through metal detector after multiple passes, that passenger would be required to receive a pat-down. Passengers at these select TSA Pre✓™ checkpoints, where available, will now have the option of being screened via AIT, possibly precluding the need for a pat-down.
  2. Question:
    Is there a clear/public way for dealing with complaints against TSOs?
    Answer:
    Yes. Definitely. I know you may not believe it, but all complaints do get forwarded to the TSA leadership at that airport to investigate. Two different ways to contact us to report this -- and we want travelers to provide feedback so it can be addressed ASAP. The more details, the better.

For example, someone last night posted something on twitter regarding an interaction with one of our employees. We immediately flagged that for our leadership at the airport so it can be addressed.

Option 1: You can submit comments electronically using this form.
    Option 2: Call 1-866-289-9673 or email [email protected]
  3. Question:
    Is it a requirement for a pax to state their name when asked by the TDC as according to the regs, the only things needed to enter the secure are are an I/D containing a picture of the pax standing in front of the TDC and a boarding pass for a flight on that date with the name on the boarding passs matching the name on the I/D presented by the pax-and if it is in fact required, why is this procedure not followed at every airport that I travel thru (and this is at airports where the lines at the checkpoints are both horrendously long and empty?
    Answer:
    I travel often, and this is the first time I have heard this. It is just matching the name to the BP, and verifying origin/date, etc. Sometimes a BDO might talk with the pax. But let me take this back to some of our experts to find out. As I said above, I don't have all of the answers, but promise to see what I can find out.
  4. Question: Where can I find a listing of TSA Twitter feeds?
    Answer: All of the TSA Twitter accounts are listed here.

For a full list of all posts by TSAPressSec, view their profile here: TSAPressSec and select the Find All Posts By TSAPressSec
Print Wikipost

Greetings from TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
I think the UA forum has a pretty good system-- a sticky for consolidated UA Insider posts. We could do the same for Ross here. But Ross is a little more interactive than Aaron (taking the time to answer the same question again and again in different threads), so this might be a challenge.
A sticky or wiki that mods, Ross, and we can all refer repeat questions to might help then? At least answers could be (like often in UA forums): "See this link/thread" or "RTFW" (our variation on RTFM)? Maybe that plus a "Have a simple question" thread for TSA where there is a snark-free newbie/safe zone?

Selfishly, if we free up Ross from repeat answers he'll have more time for more questions... :-)

Last edited by abaheti; Jun 25, 2014 at 2:45 pm Reason: added "or wiki"
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
A sticky that mods, Ross, and we can all refer repeat questions to might help then? At least answers could be (like often in UA forums): "See this link/thread" or "RTFW" (our variation on RTFM)? Maybe that plus a "Have a simple question" thread for TSA where there is a snark-free newbie/safe zone?

Selfishly, if we free up Ross from repeat answers he'll have more time for more questions... :-)
That seems like a good idea . . .
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there an official date for Green Card holders with Global Entry and/or Nexus to begin receiving Precheck? I understand it was discussed for near future implementation, but is it official yet?

Case in point - my other half and I were traveling from SEA to OGG last week. I am a US citizen with GE and they are GC with GE. My BP had Pre, but theirs did not - but on the return a few days later, we both received it. Fluke or did an official change roll out over the weekend?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:02 pm
Company Representative, TSA
Original Poster

It started Friday, June 20.

Members of the following U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) trusted traveler programs can participate in TSA Precheck:

- All members of Global Entry.
- U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
- U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who are members of SENTRI.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec

Members of the following U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) trusted traveler programs can participate in TSA Precheck:

- U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
I see - so because we checked-in on June 19, we missed the change.

Is there a list of countries where outbound travel from the US to that country is Precheck eligible?

Also, how would the system apply Precheck eligibility to the following itinerary:

SEA-ORD - operated by United, but Lufthansa ticket
ORD-FRA-FCO - operated by Lufthansa, ticketed by Lufthansa

I can understand the second segment being Precheck ineligible, but if we're checking in with United for the first segment, and the boarding pass is issued on UA stock, would that segment be Precheck eligible, but the connection (which requires a terminal change at ORD) be ineligible?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
All members of Global Entry.
Does this mean regardless of nationality/passport?

Are these lists in addition to other lists? (Such as actual PreCheck members, military, etc.)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Also, is there any plan to include all airlines in PreCheck at participating airports for eligible pax?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

Does this mean that ONLY members of these programs (or the TSA's own program) will get Precheck now?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I see - so because we checked-in on June 19, we missed the change.

Is there a list of countries where outbound travel from the US to that country is Precheck eligible?

Also, how would the system apply Precheck eligibility to the following itinerary:

SEA-ORD - operated by United, but Lufthansa ticket
ORD-FRA-FCO - operated by Lufthansa, ticketed by Lufthansa

I can understand the second segment being Precheck ineligible, but if we're checking in with United for the first segment, and the boarding pass is issued on UA stock, would that segment be Precheck eligible, but the connection (which requires a terminal change at ORD) be ineligible?
Yes for TSA Pre✓™ when departing from a U.S. airport to a location outside the country. I will have to check if it is country specific re. international flights.

Complicated question...hopefully simple answer re. carriers: It is all based on the operating carrier, since they submit the data to TSA. If the flight is on UA metal, UA will submit the PNR to TSA, which can (should) include the KTN. Even if UA prints the LH boarding pass, it probably won't include a TSA Pre✓™ indicator. Again, will have to check to verify this.

For the connecting flight, if changing terminals, you will have to use the boarding pass for your next flight. If you are at ORD, and flying ORD-FRA, you won't be able to access the checkpoint using your SFO-ORD boarding pass.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Also, is there any plan to include all airlines in PreCheck at participating airports for eligible pax?
It is still airline dependent. We do want to add other airlines, including other major international carriers, to TSA Pre✓™.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

And I haven't forgotten about the other questions!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Does this mean regardless of nationality/passport?

Are these lists in addition to other lists? (Such as actual PreCheck members, military, etc.)
Yes:

Q. Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™?

A. Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

- U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
- U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents with a Known Traveler Number (KTN), sometimes referred to as a trusted traveler number.
- U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.
- Department of Defense and U.S. Coast Guard civilian employees.
- Members of the following U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) trusted traveler programs:

* All members of Global Entry.
* U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
* U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who are members of SENTRI.

I should also add that some other vetted government employees have also been provided a KTN. It is agency dependent, so not all federal government employees are included.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should also add that some other vetted government employees have also been provided a KTN. It is agency dependent, so not all federal government employees are included.
Congress included? Judges?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Congress included? Judges?
Yes. Members of Congress and federal judges have the option to receive a KTN. Some don't, since they already have a KTN via Global Entry.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:38 pm

While I won't comment on the efficacy of the TSA BDO's, why do you claim it's a "pathetic farce," based on "junk science?" They're highly successful in other realms of security as well as aviation security in other countries, notably Israel
GAO has determined that the TSA BDO program is ineffective, and shouldn't be funded. So yes, it's a pathetic farce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.