Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LAX Customs teaches me a lesson - always buy a souvenir

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Went to Thailand for a few days to sit in the sun and burn some MP miles. For some reason, awards to Thailand are fairly easy to get these days Anyway, I get sick while I'm there and don't feel well enough to purchase souvenirs. I fill out my Customs form honestly and boy, that was a mistake. An extra hour in line waiting for secondary Customs questioning where the Customs agent asked me 4 - 5 times "Are you sure you don't have anything to declare?" "No". Lets me walk out without even looking through my stuff.

I get it. Lesson learned. Buy something and declare it. My bad.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

They still could have sent you to secondary even if you had declared something. What lesson does that teaches you then?

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I often return from Southeast Asia and write down that I bought nothing, it doesn't seem to phase them.

Maybe the fact that you went to Thailand for "a few days" is what triggered suspicion.

What questions did the primary officer ask you before referring you to secondary inspection?

Is it possible they have a record of you bringing back undeclared stuff before?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thailand is a possible destination for . . . well, sexual tourism of the underage variety. The officer may have been interested in gauging your demeanor in answering the questions rather than interested in the actual answers. Whatever you said and how you said it didn't sufficiently pique the interest of the officer. On a less busy day, you might have gotten an electronics search under the same set of circumstances.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
They still could have sent you to secondary even if you had declared something. What lesson does that teaches you then?
When going on a leisure trip abroad and declaring nothing as being acquired abroad when returning, the chances of being considered suspect -- for who knows what -- rises at least somewhat for many persons.

I rarely acquire anything on my trips abroad except for say newspapers, magazines and airline amenity kits/hotel amenities, but they get declared by me. I've done lots of trips to Thailand and it's never been an issue for me. Then again I have family there.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:17 pm

So I am a legal resident pf uSA. When I go to my birth country I do buy female intimates. Should I tell customs that I bought brah's and undies? That sound pretty sick to me. I sometimes even have toilet papper/tissues in cause an airport does not have it. Do I declare that?

Last edited by tanja; Jun 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tanja
So I am a legal resident pf uSA. When I go to my birth country I do buy female intimates. Should I tell customs that I bought brah's and undies? That sound pretty sick to me. I sometimes even have toilet papper/tissues in cause an airport does not have it. Do I declare that?
Declare clothing and toiletries.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:41 pm

You declare clothing. It's not complicated.

For the OP, any trips that out of the usual are likely to get you questioned. It's their job and why they do it. Fly to Columbia for the afternoon with a big suitcase and see what happens.

They're trying to do things like stop drug trafficking, trafficking in endangered animals, etc.

Just be happy you weren't flying through Miami. Even without questioning that can take well over an hour.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I often return from Southeast Asia and write down that I bought nothing, it doesn't seem to phase them.
http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/c...ds/faze-phase/
Originally Posted by Ari
Thailand is a possible destination for . . . well, sexual tourism of the underage variety.
IIRC, also drugs. Lots of fun things to do on a long weekend in BKK.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I travel internationally about twice a year. I'm not exactly a stranger to CBP. And no, I've never had a history of customs violations. Heck, it's not even the first time I've been to Thailand. It is the first time I've come home from vacation without something of token value declared.

I mean, driving across the border from Mexico after a caving expedition 20 years ago, I expected the drug dogs. As I was standing in line I was more worried about explaining to Customs that my shirts were straight from JC Penney, not a tailor in Bangkok.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:18 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I travel Internationally about 100,000 a year, I do have GE and do not purchase anything while out of the country and that is what I tap no to every question on the GE machine, have never been stopped or questioned and that included a 3 day weekend trip to Bogota.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo
I travel Internationally about 100,000 a year, I do have GE and do not purchase anything while out of the country and that is what I tap no to every question on the GE machine, have never been stopped or questioned and that included a 3 day weekend trip to Bogota.
They can obviously see you're a business traveler, for a business traveler not to buy something wouldn't be unusual.

Tourists usually buy souvenirs, though.

We have gotten repeated questioning from an official at SFO over a low value declared on a trip to China--guy, can't you see the screenfull of trips?? Does it not occur to you that we already have whatever we want in souvenirs? Repeated trips to one country, she's obviously speaking English with an accent and it's clearly not her native language--doesn't that obviously add up to relatives over there??
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Thanks I appreciate that. I think I knew that at one point and forgot.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe
The only drugs I see there are crap Laotian weed. Wouldn't make BKK my destination of choice if that's what I was into.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Thailand is a possible destination for . . . well, sexual tourism of the underage variety.
Actually, it's not, but CBP, which bases all of its policies on simplistic, uninformed stereotypes, believes it is, so they tend to harass people who go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.