Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Delta passengers bypass immigration at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold

Some passengers on a Delta London to New York flight Monday night never went through immigration or customs – because their jet landed in the wrong place in a gaffe that raised security fears.
By 10:45 p.m., Port Authority police were still scurrying around the airport in a bid to track down the passengers who had been allowed to bypass Customs.

Those passengers were led back to a Customs area so they could be screened.

But anyone who disembarked without luggage or only a carry-on bag could have walked out of the airport with no screening whatsoever, Rostron said, adding that there were about 54 people aboard the flight.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/25/delta-p...airline-gaffe/

Oops. I'd hate to be one of the passengers who didn't get rounded up in time. I'm sure CBP is going to make them responsible for getting back to the airport and presenting to a CBP officer.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:07 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta, get your checkbook out!

The fine for this isn't going to be pretty.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:18 am

Delta or the Port Authority?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Somebody is going to get fired for that.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but wouldn't the tower be at fault? I've never flown in the cockpit of an airliner, but in my parents' small plane, as soon as we land we're directed to switch comms to ground control and they tell us where to taxi (after asking our desired destination).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:49 pm

ATC doesn't assign destinations at the airport, just the route from point a to point b. The flight crew asked to go to that gate, or at the very least that ramp. Where they got that info from is usually given by the airline rep via ramp control, which is not ATC, via ACARS dispatch, or via voice radio.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:52 pm

RandomNobody, thanks for the clarification. I figured I was missing something.

eta: I even said it in my post - we tell ground what our desired destination on the ramp is.

(wandering off for some caffeine now...)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

When the gate agents open the door for the arriving flights before passengers start to disembark, they don't at least verify the flight number and where it is originating from? If not, maybe that would be a good and easy way to keep this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I wonder if this was a 757 and a ground controller mistakenly assumed it was a domestic arrival?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by etch5895
When the gate agents open the door for the arriving flights before passengers start to disembark, they don't at least verify the flight number and where it is originating from? If not, maybe that would be a good and easy way to keep this kind of thing from happening in the future.

I wonder if this was a 757 and a ground controller mistakenly assumed it was a domestic arrival?
I haven't flown a DL 767 domestically. The mentioned flight is usually a Boeing 767.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For AA at JFK (T8), except (possibly) for American Eagle gates, when you exit the plane toward the end of the ramp, "ropes" control your exit, to either normal exit or CBP for intl.--these are set by the agent(s) manning the ramp.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I haven't flown a DL 767 domestically. The mentioned flight is usually a Boeing 767.
I haven't been spending much time on DL recently, but 767s used to be fairly common from ATL to some of the west coast cities, as well as SLC. I had wondered if DL had begun using the 757s on the London route, but I guess not. The report did say there were only 54 people on that flight. I should get so lucky.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Somebody is going to get fired for that.
Yes, he could be fired. That's why they didn't go through immigrations & customs. It was made big gravely mistake. No one who go through the main concourse.

Originally Posted by alanR
Actually, it was CBP, but not TSA & Port Authority job.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:01 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Given that the airline would have checked everyone's documentation prior to boarding, I don't see the issue here. Perhaps the US will lose out on some customs duty, or perhaps some Cuban cigars will find their way to the black market.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Given that the airline would have checked everyone's documentation prior to boarding, I don't see the issue here. Perhaps the US will lose out on some customs duty, or perhaps some Cuban cigars will find their way to the black market.
While I agree that the security risk is extremely minimal, to the point of non-existence, there is some immigration risk. People routinely get turned away by immigration every day. The airline only does a basic check that the travel document meets the requirements for entry, NOT that the person is permitted to enter.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by etch5895
I haven't been spending much time on DL recently, but 767s used to be fairly common from ATL to some of the west coast cities, as well as SLC. I had wondered if DL had begun using the 757s on the London route, but I guess not. The report did say there were only 54 people on that flight. I should get so lucky.
Out of JFK, I've not been on a domestic 767 flight on DL. There may be some, but then again DL also has Barbie jets flying internationally too that involve -- at least seasonally -- clearing CBP on arrival.

A few days ago I was on an AA wide-body flight to LHR and it too was mostly empty. And several days before that my AA wide-body flight out of LHR was largely empty too. This is off-peak season, more so on some dates and times than others for N.US-LHR/LHR-N.US flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.