Wiki Posts
Search

TSA fun at Fort Lauderdale

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

TSA fun at Fort Lauderdale

This morning at FLL...

The couple in front of me in the PreCheck line were perhaps in their 80s or 90s. Both were quite hard of hearing.

The smurf screamed at the elderly woman in the wheelchair, "We're checking you for explosives."

"EXPLOSIVES?" exclaimed the elderly woman. "Why on earth would you do that?"

"That's why we're here," explained the smurf. The elderly woman just seemed flummoxed.

The woman at the metal detector was most certainly not happy with me because I put my phone in my carry-on bag before putting on the x-ray belt. Yet she wanted to see my boarding pass, and she was ready with an orange "TSA Cleared" sticker.

First of all, I was given three beeps by the Travel Document inspector five feet away (who scrutinized my driver's license like it was a legal brief.) Second, where did she plan to put this sticker? She seemed frustrated and baffled.

At least I got through quickly and without anything intrusive. They just make fools of themselves so easily. Do they get prizes for incompetence?

What's the secret to acting like a professional agency? Act like it.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mats

What's the secret to acting like a professional agency? Act like it.
While it is the main act in the theater of the absurd, the thespians involved are simply extras obtained to stand on marks on the stage and recite their lines anew with each new audience that progresses through the checkpoint. It is the same script with the same zero ability for every new group. It requires no skill and really demands that one have no skills.

Think of the "It's A Small World" ride. While you have turned a corner in your little boat to a new scene in the insipid little song, the automatons in the scenes you have just traversed are continuing their incessant little ditty for those following. Eventually the ride ends and you get off. There are many behind you enduring what you have just survived.

It will end when the ride is turned off.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

It's a bit more like "Itchy and Scratchy Land" from "The Simpsons." That park featured "Unnecessary Surgery Land" and "Searing Gas Pain Land."
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
While it is the main act in the theater of the absurd, the thespians involved are simply extras obtained to stand on marks on the stage and recite their lines anew with each new audience that progresses through the checkpoint. It is the same script with the same zero ability for every new group. It requires no skill and really demands that one have no skills.

Think of the "It's A Small World" ride. While you have turned a corner in your little boat to a new scene in the insipid little song, the automatons in the scenes you have just traversed are continuing their incessant little ditty for those following. Eventually the ride ends and you get off. There are many behind you enduring what you have just survived.

It will end when the ride is turned off.
perhaps we travelers should sing that little ditty as we progress through police state abuses an our way to fly off some where
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Stay away from TSA at FLL. DO NOT FLY TO FLL ANYMORE! TSA at FLL is very extremely rudest. Don't go there.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by N830MH
Stay away from TSA at FLL. DO NOT FLY TO FLL ANYMORE! TSA at FLL is very extremely rudest. Don't go there.
…or, we can all just grow up and accept that there are rude people and learn to deal with them (of course, there was nothing in the OP that indicated the TSA was being rude, so your shouting response doesn't exactly make sense.…)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:01 pm

"Stay away from TSA at FLL. DO NOT FLY TO FLL ANYMORE! TSA at FLL is very extremely rudest. Don't go there. "

Oh great. I wrote an article on here called "Miami Customs Freak Show"
about 7 months ago, about the horrors of a simple connecting flight at the Miami airport. Now you're telling me Ft Lauderdale is just as creepy? Maybe it's time we avoid Florida altogether.
What the hell is going on down there?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:16 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by yandosan
"Stay away from TSA at FLL. DO NOT FLY TO FLL ANYMORE! TSA at FLL is very extremely rudest. Don't go there. "

Oh great. I wrote an article on here called "Miami Customs Freak Show"
about 7 months ago, about the horrors of a simple connecting flight at the Miami airport. Now you're telling me Ft Lauderdale is just as creepy? Maybe it's time we avoid Florida altogether.
What the hell is going on down there?
Have you never heard of the worst superhero ever: Florida Man???????

http://mashable.com/2013/02/11/twitter-florida-man/

a sample:
http://floridamanandwoman.tumblr.com/
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Sorry to burst your bubble,but people are rude everywhere .
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I went through Precheck at FLL a couple of weeks ago and didn't encounter any rude TSA folk. The only unusual thing was that they asked to see my BP twice -- once as I entered the line and once again after my BP had already been marked up and I was ready to put my stuff on the belt. (Sounded like someone else here ran into that as well.) I usually still have my paper BP in hand at that point anyway so it wasn't a problem to show them one more time. I can understand how it would slow things down if I'd already put the BP away.

I was just happy that Precheck was available. The regular line was really long and there was only one person ahead of me in the Precheck line waiting to go through. At SEA they probably would have been funneling a bunch of people from the regular line into the Precheck line at that point so I appreciated that they weren't doing that at FLL when I was there. Who knows what happens at other times...

Last edited by Westcoaster; Feb 23, 2014 at 6:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United_727
Sorry to burst your bubble,but people are rude everywhere .
I understand that. TSA is very bad. It could be worse. Those passengers is very uncomfortable with TSA. They didn't like it at all. Please keep avoid flying to FLL. Why I didn't fly to FLL for a long time. No Florida trip at this time. I couldn't go. It was too extremely expensive.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
What terminal. Terminal A United gates never had a problem with TSA.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
What terminal. Terminal A United gates never had a problem with TSA.
Actually, it was Delta terminal 2. UA/F9/G4/VX/WN/AS is in the entire terminal 1.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Consistent inconsistency: I left from FLL two days later and had precheck. I was using a mobile boarding pass and held onto my phone as I was placing stuff on the x-ray belt. A helpful smurf told me that I could put my phone and ID in one of the carry-on bags if I wanted to.

Originally Posted by Mats

The woman at the metal detector was most certainly not happy with me because I put my phone in my carry-on bag before putting on the x-ray belt. Yet she wanted to see my boarding pass, and she was ready with an orange "TSA Cleared" sticker.

First of all, I was given three beeps by the Travel Document inspector five feet away (who scrutinized my driver's license like it was a legal brief.) Second, where did she plan to put this sticker? She seemed frustrated and baffled.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:10 am

I went through T1 yesterday @ FLL and the TSA was , I will admit,very pleasant . Walk through metal detector,too . No cancer box.

Last edited by United_727; Mar 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.