Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How good is UK consular services and protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

The US, it appears, justifies in the slightest of ways of its global taxation through great protection of its citizens abroad.

That being said, I just wanted to see how the UK compares in terms of consular services and protection of its citizens during times of crisis, either a need for evacuation, or when a citizen has been kidnapped (a la Captain Philipps) etc.

Just wanted to open this up to discussion.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I'm not sure I agree with your premise (stated in the first sentence). I don't believe that the great protection of US citizens is the justification for global taxation of US citizens and I have never seen anything from the USG that indicates such. The US just wants as much tax money as it can get, IMHO.

That being said, in my current situation, a US citizen permanently living in Cyprus, should a situation arise where I would require protection of a government, I would high-tail it to the nearest British military base rather than the US embassy.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: QFF
The UK is likely similar to Australia.

Whenever something happens and they need to evac people, the Aus government charters a QF jet to fly them out of the area, then bills those people.
eg, during the 2011 Egyptian Revolution, Aus Gov chartered a QF 747 which would otherwise have been sitting at LHR or FRA to fly to Cairo, pick up the Aussies, then take them back to UK/Germany where they were then dropped and left to deal with getting the rest of the way home themselves.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
The UK is likely similar to Australia.

Whenever something happens and they need to evac people, the Aus government charters a QF jet to fly them out of the area, then bills those people.
eg, during the 2011 Egyptian Revolution, Aus Gov chartered a QF 747 which would otherwise have been sitting at LHR or FRA to fly to Cairo, pick up the Aussies, then take them back to UK/Germany where they were then dropped and left to deal with getting the rest of the way home themselves.
The US bills for evacuations too. Kinda ridiculous really...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

One benefit of being a UK citizen is that if you find yourself in need in a country where there is no UK embassy/consulate, you are entitled to assistance from the embassy/consulate of any EU member.

I think most western countries do a decent job of providing assistance in times of crisis, such as evacuations. Remember, however, that they cannot get you special treatment if you break a law or something like that, all they can do is guide you.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The UK is also good for dealing with issues where its citizens have been taken abroad for arranged marriage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.