Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security bans carry-on liquids on flights from US to Russia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeland Security bans carry-on liquids on flights from US to Russia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'll pass as I was hoping to be more impressed with your qualifications and was hoping that your concerns were based upon positive evidence about the possibilities of chemical explosives, rather than repetition of "prove it" as the substance of your discussion. That goes double when I get a very strong sense that no amount of proof would ever satisfy you.
If you read Spiff's posts in other forums it's generally known that there is a strong aversion to any screening.

Sure you could test every liquid and gel in carry on luggage but wouldn't that delay boarding even longer than just screening out all liquids and gels.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
If you read Spiff's posts in other forums it's generally known that there is a strong aversion to any screening.
I'm aware. I was just trying to ascertain whether his implicit claims to scientific knowledge were well supported. Unfortunately, it appears not. I don't have an issue with folks arguing the point that freedom of travel should trump security concerns (though I disagree that reasonable and relatively benign screening is a significant imposition, but these are things folks can disagree on), but I'm less okay with dismissal of all government concerns over terrorist activities without a strong basis for calling them liars.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:46 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'm aware. I was just trying to ascertain whether his implicit claims to scientific knowledge were well supported. Unfortunately, it appears not. I don't have an issue with folks arguing the point that freedom of travel should trump security concerns (though I disagree that reasonable and relatively benign screening is a significant imposition, but these are things folks can disagree on), but I'm less okay with dismissal of all government concerns over terrorist activities without a strong basis for calling them liars.
I'm open to assessing ANY actual evidence you or anyone else for that matter would care to provide. The government has provided none to date and, as is the case with most claims with no proof, their claim is baseless.

The burden of proof isn't on me. I'm calling them and anyone else on their claim of magic explosives that are concealable in toothpaste tubes and cannot be detected by chemical testing.

"Because I said so" is not credible evidence. Unless some is provided, the US government is lying.

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
(Bolding mine)

Your statement is not true.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:01 am

I would speculate the choice was this. Everyone gets a ETP/ETD detection swap, or don't allow liquids. Given the logistics that go with false positives I can see them deciding it's more expedient ban on all liquids. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were using blast resistant cargo containers in the hold.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is my understanding that the restrictions on flights to Russia are the same from every country and required by the Russians -- but will be lifted after the Winter Olympics.
You mean the liquids restrictions will be lifted sometime end of month? Hope they will be back to normal again. We won't know for sure. We will see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.