Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP ID Checks of Passengers Arriving on Domestic Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP ID Checks of Passengers Arriving on Domestic Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I guess my DM card probably wouldn't do
You'd need at least Kryptonium Medallion status to bypass CBP.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by battensea
But if you refuse to answer or allow them to search your belongings, what is to keep them from holding you in the back room for several hours?
Without probable cause? The Constitution and the threat of a lawsuit for unlawfully detaining you.

They do this stuff because 99% of people will just say "sure, here you go" when they legally don't need to.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Yeah I don't think that US citizens are under any obligation to comply. I do believe that green card and visa holders are though.
You're within 100 miles of the border. The CPB considers it a Constitution free zone. I'm not joking.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:43 pm

Yeah I don't think that US citizens are under any obligation to comply. I do believe that green card and visa holders are though.
If U.S. citizens didn't have to comply, couldn't everyone claim they were a U.S. citizen and not show ID?

To me, this sounds like it falls under police power, and the CBP would probably claim reasonable suspicion.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
If U.S. citizens didn't have to comply, couldn't everyone claim they were a U.S. citizen and now show ID?

To me, this sounds like it falls under police power.
Legally a law enforcement officer can't detain you without probable cause. They can ask for your ID, but you can't be compelled to show it to them unless you are being detained/under arrest. Of course there are exceptions for certain voluntary activities like going through TSA, crossing a border, entering a government building, etc. I can't see there being an exception in this case. You're leaving a domestic flight and are free to leave the airport without harassment.

As far as I know, refusal to show ID can't be used as probable cause on its own. They might make the case that there was reasonable suspicion since there was apparently a person they wanted to detain on the plane. U.S. v. Martinez-Fuerte might support their power to do so, but can they really argue that the 4th Amendment doesn't apply within a general area around every international US airport?

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Feb 23, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

I may be wrong...
You are. CBP can do just about anything they want to you with little or no recourse. The best way to interact with them is yes sir, no sir, and answer only what is asked of you. If they ask it, you are compelled to answer or do as asked. I know of several people coming into the US from CANADA that had there cars stripped to the frame with everything laying on the pavement beside the frame....and they just walked away when finished.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
You are. CBP can do just about anything they want to you with little or no recourse. The best way to interact with them is yes sir, no sir, and answer only what is asked of you. If they ask it, you are compelled to answer or do as asked. I know of several people coming into the US from CANADA that had there cars stripped to the frame with everything laying on the pavement beside the frame....and they just walked away when finished.
You're not crossing an international border in this case though. That's a silly example for what we're discussing here.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You're not crossing an international border in this case though. That's a silly example for what we're discussing here.
You don't need to be crossing a border.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitut...le-border-zone

• Even in places far removed from the border, deep into the interior of the country, immigration officials enjoy broad—though not limitless—powers.
  • Specifically, federal regulations give U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authority to operate within 100 miles of any U.S. "external boundary."
    In this 100-mile zone, Border Patrol agents have certain extra-Constitutional powers. For instance, Border Patrol can operate immigration checkpoints.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by battensea
But if you refuse to answer or allow them to search your belongings, what is to keep them from holding you in the back room for several hours?
Originally Posted by catocony
Without probable cause? The Constitution and the threat of a lawsuit for unlawfully detaining you.
Good luck with that.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by guflyer
1. What happens if one does not have proof of citizenship, only a driver's license?
I have been known on at least one occasion to grow tired of the questions when crossing a border. I have learned my lesson.

How do they know? They know everything about you within a minute or two. You will have to answer questions such as where were you born and in what hospital. List the last five addresses in which you have lived. Name your last three employers....

And trust me they will know the answers before you are asked.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:48 pm

If they're so smart, then why did they not find the person they were supposedly looking for on this flight?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I have been known on at least one occasion to grow tired of the questions when crossing a border. I have learned my lesson.

How do they know? They know everything about you within a minute or two. You will have to answer questions such as where were you born and in what hospital. List the last five addresses in which you have lived. Name your last three employers....

And trust me they will know the answers before you are asked.
You don't have to answer anything. The main lesson to be learned is that if you refuse to answer at the airport/border they may yell at you and they may keep you for a few hours. The fear of yelling and being held for a few hours prompts many people to answer. And I guess the fear of having your car stripped if at the border. I usually enter through airports, so that makes it easier.

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Lots of paranoia here. CBP has less powers than the airport police if you're not in an international arrivals area. They are not all powerfull, although they hint that they are. Do you think they're going to make you stay on the plane? No. Are they going to arrest you? Definitely not, just like they don't in the inland checkpoints along the Mexican border.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by motytrah
You're within 100 miles of the border. The CPB considers it a Constitution free zone. I'm not joking.
I have heard ignorant officers say "You have no consitutional rights at the border."

This is contrary to the law and contrary to CBP's training of its officers. It's well settled that the 4th Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches applies everywhere. However, courts have ruled that searches of your belongings at the border without a warrant and without probable cause are reasonable under the 4th Amendment.

Other types of searches by CBP at borders, like pat downs, strip searches, stomach x-rays, cavity searches, etc. require suspicion supported by articulable facts, or in some cases either consent or a court order, otherwise they violate the 4th Amendment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.