Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH is finally open US pre-clearance facility

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
So does this mean that instead of 5 minutes for Global Entry at JFK that I'll face lengthy US immigration lines in AUH when traveling EY from AUH to JFK? I can't imagine that CBP stuck a Global Entry kiosk in AUH...but perhaps I'm wrong.

If there's no GE, then these facilities are really an inconvenience....part of the reason I'll not travel to/from AUA again...and perhaps now AUH.
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I imagine there will be GE there just like Dublin and major Canadian airports for preentry.
Originally Posted by BearX220
I agree and don't understand the opposition really. It all sounds as jingoistic and lame in its way as Freedom Fries rhetoric.

If it's set up like YYZ, YVR, and DUB you'll be fine.
IME, GE came to DUB long after it came to YVR. Don't expect GE to be at AUH on day 1.
Originally Posted by desi
After reading 4 pages of post, I still cant understand why or how is this a SAD DAY????

Seems to be this is a great way to avoid so-called "random checks" (which are not random at all but staff is instructed too specifically target certain ethnicities)

Hope DBX and DOH join soon...
Indeed. It is actually a better day for US airlines because they will tend to arrive in USA domestic terminals whereas the gulf airlines will tend to arrive in international terminals which are stupidly designed to require connecting pax to go through security again.

Advantage: America.

What is not so good is that preclearance will it easier to deny U.S. Citizens access to their own country.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 27, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
A number of places have secondary airports that are that far away. How many Bostonians fly out of Providence Rhode Island? I live in Detroit (didn't change my handle after I moved back to the States). Metro Airport's parking structure is full of Canadian plates, Ohio plates, and some Indiana ones.

I can easily see how a flight to AD would save me more than a half an hour. Since my luggage is precleared, it can be checked through at my destination and I don't have to clear customs, wait for my luggage, clear customs and immigration, recheck my bag, and then reclear TSA. At least at Atlanta, my Pre doesn't get me through the TSA any faster. I'm also tired and groggy when I land and am more likely to make mistakes and leave something at a TSA station, etc.
It used to, but less so now.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Meh.

Now, if they had let me pre-clear my checked bag through customs when I flew out of T1 on LH Friday morning, that would have been a little bit convenient when I went through LAX at mid-day Friday... but it really wouldn't have saved me a whole lot of time, since I would still have had to clear immigration and customs with my carryon.

Other than that, sounds nice. I remember pre-clearing once in Canada, although of course after that someone saw a snowflake at ORD and the CRJ sat at YUL until everyone could be sure I'd misconnect and have to spend the night at my mother-in-law's...

And anyone at Southwest having anything to say at all about anything this far from CONUS is just hilariously absurd.

Originally Posted by SWAPA President Capt. Mark Richardson
We are more than willing to compete against any airline in the world, including state-sponsored Middle East entities.
Go on... tell us more about the routes you'll be launching to the Middle East. And I'm not referring to Appalachia.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mre5765
What is not so good is that preclearance will it easier to deny U.S. Citizens access to their own country.
Sorry, I'm not experienced with this… Can that happen?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mre5765
Actually, would it not have the opposite effect? Without pre-clearance, CBP can remotely require an airline to deny boarding to US citizens, and it has done so. In fact, I have seen this happen at AUH when I was boarding an EY flight AUH-ORD, and a US citizen was denied boarding. The only explanation given to him was that CBP had sent a message to the airline denying him boarding, and he was asked to contact the US embassy.

With pre-clearance on the other hand, if you approach the checkpoint and identify yourself as a citizen, CBP would not be able to deny you from entering the country.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Oh I see… So it's actually denying a citizen the ability to enter the country on a plane, not denying a citizen entry by any means.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Oh I see… So it's actually denying a citizen the ability to enter the country on a plane, not denying a citizen entry by any means.
CBP can also take the US citizens' passport on a claim made by or via DSS even when the claim is of doubtful merit. [Yemen, anyone!] Then when the airline checks for passports at the gate/door, the transport is often denied.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Etihad by the way just signed a code share agreement with Jet Blue to make itself more US friendly.

Emirates and Etihad is a cross-Emriate rivalry that reminds me of the Mets and the Yankees.

In the latest US sales email from EK, they mention B6 by name for the folks from Detroit who want to fly EK. So B6 is everyone's friend.

I am not sure about all of this SkyTeam talk, but EY has indicated AA as an important codeshare partner for its new LAX flight. Still don't know where EY will land now (if not TBIT).

Rasheed
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
US pre-clearance is coming at DXB

US pre-clearance facility is coming at Dubai.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...onal-1.1283050

It will help to reduce congestion at US gateway airport. You won't have be cleared customs in US gateway. You will go through US Customs pre-clearance facility before you departed the flight to USA.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
US pre-clearance facility is coming at Dubai.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...onal-1.1283050

It will help to reduce congestion at US gateway airport. You won't have be cleared customs in US gateway. You will go through US Customs pre-clearance facility before you departed the flight to USA.
That would be great, although at some point it could be the PreClearance facilities that are more backed up than the US gateway airport's CBP facility processing international arrival passengers. As it is, too often PreClearance in Canada can be a madhouse too, sometimes worse than what I would experience if I had avoided a CBP PreClearance airport and just gone for processing on arrival to the US.

Given the much higher proportion of EY and EK's US-bound passengers needing a visa than is the case for say AC's US-bound passengers, the time for a CBP employee to process each passenger is likely to be higher at AUH or DXB than at say YYZ or YVR.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That would be great, although at some point it could be the PreClearance facilities that are more backed up than the US gateway airport's CBP facility processing international arrival passengers. As it is, too often PreClearance in Canada can be a madhouse too, sometimes worse than what I would experience if I had avoided a CBP PreClearance airport and just gone for processing on arrival to the US.

Given the much higher proportion of EY and EK's US-bound passengers needing a visa than is the case for say AC's US-bound passengers, the time for a CBP employee to process each passenger is likely to be higher at AUH or DXB than at say YYZ or YVR.
Surely there will be "US Citizens/Permanent Residents" and "All Others" lines, though? So the inconvenience may be greater for non-citizens.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Surely there will be "US Citizens/Permanent Residents" and "All Others" lines, though? So the inconvenience may be greater for non-citizens.
The US citizen lines at some CBP preclearance airports have been nasty long. And as things got slower for visitors, US citizens and LPRs also ended up with slower processing times -- GE and APC kiosks were in large part a response to that too.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Canadians are generally get funneled into the US citizen line as well because we do not need the I-94W for entering the country. Before I had my NEXUS/GE all I had to do was stand in the All Others line with my passport visible to the customs agent in the US citizens line and he/she would immediately come over tell me to line up in the US line.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siaa380
Canadians are generally get funneled into the US citizen line as well because we do not need the I-94W for entering the country.
Does that still exist?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Does that still exist?
Yes, confirmed at SEA 2 months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.