Search

CBP asking me a question about my trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
CBP asking me a question about my trip

Why CBP asking me a question about my entire trip? I flew into DTW by last month. I went through immigration & customs. I stopped at Immigrations, but he asked me a few question about my trip. He said "How long you stay in Switzerland?" I replied him that I said "Actually, I stay in Switzerland for 4 days. I visit to see my brother & my new niece." Then he stamp on Customs Form, but not in my passport. Why he didn't stamp in my passport? Is no longer existed? I just don't understand it.

Last edited by N830MH; Dec 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Can't speak as to policy, but I get my US passport stamped upon entry to the US maybe 1/4 of the time.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm almost always asked about the length of my stay, also occasionally if it was for work or pleasure. No idea either about official policy but I'd also say they stamp my passport about 1/4 of the time.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
A US citizen returning to their own country is not required to answer any questions beyond what they have declared on the customs form. And they are not required to answer them verbally.

You are, of course, free to answer any questions if you wish. OTOH, you are entitled to instruct the officer to rely on what you have declared in writing and you do not wish to modify it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They ask questions to help them determine if you are smuggling something or otherwise involved in criminal activity.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
<deleted>
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer
A US citizen returning to their own country is not required to answer any questions beyond what they have declared on the customs form. And they are not required to answer them verbally.

You are, of course, free to answer any questions if you wish. OTOH, you are entitled to instruct the officer to rely on what you have declared in writing and you do not wish to modify it.
That may be true and a wonderful experiment for junior high civics, but it's terrible travel advice.

Doing so virtually guarantees a full secondary and a flag for future entries. Other than proving that it can be done, it serves no purpose.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Often1
Doing so virtually guarantees a full secondary and a flag for future entries. Other than proving that it can be done, it serves no purpose.
If every returning US citizen (or even half of them) refused to answer questions, CBP would pretty quickly stop asking intrusive questions. They can't send everyone to secondary and hold them for hours and search their bags.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
That may be true and a wonderful experiment for junior high civics, but it's terrible travel advice.

Just to be clear I am not advising anyone else to do this. Most people are not interested in enforcing limits on these people's behavior by exercising their own rights and are more concerned with their own personal convenience.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Global Entry eliminates the need for answering these kinds of BS questions - at least in those airports with such machines.

As others have said, US citizens should politely and respectfully push back on these kinds of intrusions (at least when no tight connection is involved).
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
They can't send everyone to secondary and hold them for hours and search their bags.
I bet they're going to try, though - especially since they'll be able to "indefinitely detain" persons who question their motives after the last NDAA amendments and vote.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jphripjah
They ask questions to help them determine if you are smuggling something or otherwise involved in criminal activity.
I did not fill the declared form, but I never have anything. I allowed to bringing Bern potato. My brother gave it to me.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer

I've never met the OP, but I bet any CBP agents attempting to question him would give up and wave him through.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:09 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mbstone
I've never met the OP, but I bet any CBP agents attempting to question him would give up and wave him through.
As far as I know the OP is deaf so I presume sign language or writing was the main way communication happened. Some in CBP do not even speak English as a primary language (I'm talking to you famous "Frenchie" at IAH) and plenty of others have problems with those that do not speak "their version of" English so I am sure sign language would just throw them into a tizzy...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wrong. I simply answer "I was abroad on official business for the US Government," and only once was I hassled by an idiot CBP officer. When he decided to play games, I asked for a supervisor, and that ended the encounter. That was 4 years ago, and I've never been singled out since. It was also before my GE interview, so if I had been flagged as a troublemaker, how did I get GE?

Too many people act like sheep these days, which is part of the reason why our government has become as overbearing as it is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.