FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1529180-tsa-disarms-sock-monkey-flying-public-safe-again.html)

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21933524)
I wonder if they'd try confiscating one of these, too.

Hilarious! :p

But I'm afraid that's as dangerous as a Light Saber.

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933593)
Hilarious! :p

But I'm afraid that's as dangerous as a Light Saber.

I doubt it. Any cane that'll hold Peter Mayhew would make a pretty nice bludgeon if he could stand up and swing it at the same time.

Boggie Dog Dec 9, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933202)
It begs the question: Are pictures of guns also subject to confiscation? If I held a picture of a gun up to the neck of a TSO, would he know the difference between that and a real gun?

A TSA screener? Probably not.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21933550)
Considering his contribution was to comment on a duplication of threads without any commentary on the facts, I'd have to go with "...wandered off to dream up anything resembling a plausible excuse for this particular incident."

I, for one, would love to hear his thoughts on the matter. I'm sure he could do the prevaricating-shuffle quite well as a possible defense.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 21933611)
A TSA screener? Probably not.

You all think I'm joking, but I'm going to draw a picture of a gun and place it in my carry-on, or maybe I'll just put it in the bin on top of the rest of my stuff and see what happens.

I might be on the national news as they whisk me to Guantanamo.

Before I fly out, I'll post a picture here of my drawing. I'm no artist, so don't expect much.

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933621)
I, for one, would love to hear his thoughts on the matter. I'm sure he could do the prevaricating-shuffle quite well as a possible defense.

"In order to reduce the chance of being held up by our new Run Safe Screening™ program, joggers should leave their pepper spray at home, wear form fitting clothing, use electronics-free shoes, and shape their running posture and motion so that officers will not confuse the jogger for a terrorist’s sock monkey gun."

"Unfortunately, in light of the recently foiled sock monkey gun plot, any sock monkey gun will now be required to fit inside of a quart-sized ziptop bag in order to be brought through security, in keeping with our ever-evolving risk-based security approach."

"The Transportation Security Administration screens approximately 1.8 million people who travel each day through 450 U.S. airports. Recent news reports of a TSA officer’s mishandling of a passenger’s sock monkey gun represents an anomaly in our day-to-day operations."

The TSA Policy and Statement Generator is probably more accurate and definitely more amusing.

mikeef Dec 9, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933643)
You all think I'm joking, but I'm going to draw a picture of a gun and place it in my carry-on, or maybe I'll just put it in the bin on top of the rest of my stuff and see what happens.

Before I fly out, I'll post a picture here of my drawing. I'm no artist, so don't expect much.

I'll bail you out of jail. Apparently, most take credit cards now and I could use the points.

BTW, has anyone been able to find her sock monkey store online? Those things are pretty creative.

Mike

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 21933671)
I'll bail you out of jail. Apparently, most take credit cards now and I could use the points.

Highly appreciated, but as I'm a white male with blond hair and blue eyes, I doubt that there'll be any bailing out to do.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21933663)

The TSA Policy and Statement Generator is probably more accurate and definitely more amusing.

Nice find! Here's mine:

"Every year, our officers are administered rigorous Practical Skills Evaluations which ensure that they know the proper routine for handling a passenger’s rubber ducky."

Boggie Dog Dec 9, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933643)

Just grab an issue of American Rifleman. That should give the screeners something to get worked up over.

mpc7488 Dec 9, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 21933671)

A new Manufactured Spend opportunity!!

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 21933813)
Just grab an issue of American Rifleman. That should give the screeners something to get worked uo over.

Trouble is, I'm in Europe right now, and I don't know what there is here for gun magazines. How about I DRAW a sock monkey holding a gun? Would that do?

Does anyone know how the TSA responds to those wearing NRA shirts? Of course, I don't think I could find one of those in Europe, either.

mikeef Dec 9, 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mpc7488 (Post 21933816)
A new Manufactured Spend opportunity!!

I call Spiff!

Mike

Boggie Dog Dec 9, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933862)
Trouble is, I'm in Europe right now, and I don't know what there is here for gun magazines. How about I DRAW a sock monkey holding a gun? Would that do?

Does anyone know how the TSA responds to those wearing NRA shirts? Of course, I don't think I could find one of those in Europe, either.

Well try for a drawing of an AR-15.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 21933947)
Well try for a drawing of an AR-15.

Not believable enough. Everyone knows that sock monkeys carry revolvers. Ask any TSA agent.