FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1529180-tsa-disarms-sock-monkey-flying-public-safe-again.html)

sinanju Dec 9, 2013 10:19 am

TSA disarms sock monkey. Flying public safe again

May said the TSA agent went through the bag, through the sewing supplies and found the two-inch long pistol. “She said ‘If I held it up to your neck, you wouldn’t know if it was real or not,’ and I said ‘really?’”

TSA agent confiscates sock monkey's toy pistol

PTravel Dec 9, 2013 10:55 am

Unbelievable! I mean, I believe it happened. I just can't believe the utter stupidity of some TSOs: "If I held [this 2 inch toy gun] to your neck, you wouldn't know it wasn't the real thing."

What an idiot!

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 11:36 am

It can't be real; It must be parody. Even the TSA can't be this stupid, can they?

Good catch, in any case. Imagine how that TSO would have felt if he hadn't caught it and the newspaper headlines the next day read: "Plane hijacked by sock monkey and miniature, fake toy pistol."

Boggie Dog Dec 9, 2013 11:49 am

Drudge linking to the incident with article on National Review.

This type of bs needs wide coverage to continue demonstrating just how far past reality TSA has gone.

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21932722)
It can't be real; It must be parody. Even the TSA can't be this stupid, can they?

That is exactly what I said after the first incident of the TSA dumping urine all over the poor guy.

mpc7488 Dec 9, 2013 11:54 am

This is absolutely hilarious, thanks for pointing it out.

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by mpc7488 (Post 21932859)
This is absolutely hilarious, thanks for pointing it out.

Don't forget to share it with everyone you know.

Hilarity like this on the taxpayers' dime is too easy to come by these days. And don't forget to queue up "Yakety Sax" while reading TSA articles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

cuebert Dec 9, 2013 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21932978)
Hilarity like this on the taxpayers' dime is too easy to come by these days.

Do taxpayers pay for this hilarity or is it covered by the security theatre surcharge?

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 12:39 pm

It begs the question: Are pictures of guns also subject to confiscation? If I held a picture of a gun up to the neck of a TSO, would he know the difference between that and a real gun?

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933202)
It begs the question: Are pictures of guns also subject to confiscation? If I held a picture of a gun up to the neck of a TSO, would he know the difference between that and a real gun?

In the comments on that article, someone using the monicker "Das Boot" writes:

I had a paper cutout of a hand gun i was planning to purchase in my breif and it was confiscated, why wasn't that on the news, I think these people are nothing more than a joke and every-time I see them when I am going through search I laugh and they ask me "WHY are you laughing"? I ask them "why do you ask, is my laughing coming out of my mouth in the shape of a gun or bomb?'
So, I guess it'd be "Yes, pictures of guns are also subject to confiscation by the TSA."

(I fully expect a TSA "employee" to pop by and remind us all that the TSA doesn't "confiscate" anything, which we should all recognize by now as an outright lie based on slippery semantics.)

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by cuebert (Post 21933065)
Do taxpayers pay for this hilarity or is it covered by the security theatre surcharge?

Yes, in both cases.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21933230)
So, I guess it'd be "Yes, pictures of guns are also subject to confiscation by the TSA."

I'm flying through MSP next week. I'll bring with a drawing of a gun to see what happens, then report back here.

FredAnderssen Dec 9, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm curious where gsoltso went. Doesn't he have something to add to this subject concerning the actions of his brethren?

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933494)
I'm flying through MSP next week. I'll bring with a drawing of a gun to see what happens, then report back here.

I wonder if they'd try confiscating one of these, too.

Caradoc Dec 9, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen (Post 21933510)
Doesn't he have something to add to this subject concerning the actions of his brethren?

Considering his contribution was to comment on a duplication of threads without any commentary on the facts, I'd have to go with "...wandered off to dream up anything resembling a plausible excuse for this particular incident."