Wiki Posts
Search

Sheep-like behaviors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Sheep-like behaviors

Please share yours...

Recently, while enjoying a little "me time" in a monstrous back-up at the NOS*, I noticed something that literally made my skin crawl. Due to calibration, the TSOs finally conceded to letting a slug of folks (about 15) go through the WTMD. My initial joy lasted about 2 seconds.

The first person through the WTMD went through using the now-ingrained freedom stance. She walked through the WTMD with her arms up and made a deliberate attempt to spread her legs as she did. I was stunned and, not being able to help it, laughed a little bit.

Here's where this became disgusting. Every single person in the group of about 15 people did the same "hands up" routine (none that I noticed did the leg-spreading part). To make matters worse, the TSOs did nothing to stop this or even mention that this wasn't necessary. They seemed to enjoy their moment or power. This routine didn't stop until TSA returned to the "no WTMD, period" state.

What has America come to?

* - The Mensa students in ABQ decided to calibrate the only NOS they were using without thinking (or maybe w/o caring) that it would cause a huge backup.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Reading way, way, way too much into one anecdotal observation. OP presumes that any appreciable % of the flying public know or care about different screening systems. Presumably at least the first person has experienced being asked to engage in one physical position and repeats it. The remainder either have or have not experienced checkpoints before and follow suit because it's what they've just seen or would ordinarily do.

I read nothing into this other than the fact that the vast majority of the flying public simply treat the checkpoint as a matter of routine, pay no attention, are processed in due course and go about their business.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:50 am

Ignorant sheep who have been conditioned to assuming the position, not having a clue that they are not in a nude body scanner.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP presumes that any appreciable % of the flying public know or care about different screening systems.
It's awfully presumptuous of you to presume (that I presume) such a presumption.

You're making my point for me. Not knowing only makes people ignorant. Not caring about the manner in which the federal government searches people makes them sheep. YMMV

Originally Posted by Often1
Presumably at least the first person has experienced being asked to engage in one physical position and repeats it. The remainder either have or have not experienced checkpoints before and follow suit because it's what they've just seen or would ordinarily do.

I read nothing into this other than the fact that the vast majority of the flying public simply treat the checkpoint as a matter of routine, pay no attention, are processed in due course and go about their business.
A reasonable working definition for sheep (or cattle):
The remainder follow suit, paying no attention, and are processed in due course.
Thank you for your support. ^
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I see this as part ignorance, part sheep-like compliance.

Most people simply have no clue what a WTMD is or what it does, nor do they have any clue what the NoS is or what it does. Thinking that you are required to go through the WTMD in the surrender pose is simply ignorance.

Obviously, all 15 people you saw were ignorant of the operation of the WTMD. However, I think that only 14 of the people exhibited sheep-like emulation of the person ahead of them.

Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't sheep-like, either. It was lemming-like.

Lemmings follow each other off cliffs.

Sheep meekly comply out of fear.

What you witnessed was lemmings emulating each other. You see sheep-like behavior when you talk to anyone from the Anything For Security crowd who comply with irrational security dictates out of fear.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Lemmings follow each other off cliffs.
Only in Disney flicks.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

That fact does not speak well for those who blindly follow the directions of the TSA, does it?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Too bad you were not in front, you could proudly raised your right arm and goose stepped through. Seeing 15 other people doing the same would have been very funny.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ScatterX
What has America come to?
America has been a nation of (mostly) cowards and idiots for over a decade now.

Bruce
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Sheep-like behaviors

I know I'll get flames here for this, but I'll say it. How many of those people were foreigners? If I'm in a foreign country, I'm gonna do what they want for me to get thru security. That includes leaving my belongings on a security belt in India because females are required to go thru security behind a screen. Was not happy.

Not excusing the behavior, but there may have been other reasons. Of course, I realize I am comparing US security to a third world, and that is an issue.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by dj506
I know I'll get flames here for this, but I'll say it. How many of those people were foreigners? If I'm in a foreign country, I'm gonna do what they want for me to get thru security. That includes leaving my belongings on a security belt in India because females are required to go thru security behind a screen. Was not happy.

Not excusing the behavior, but there may have been other reasons. Of course, I realize I am comparing US security to a third world, and that is an issue.
No flames here. But you have misunderstood what amused OP so much.

He was amused that someone went through the Walk-Thru Metal Detector (WTMD) with their arms up and legs spread wide. This stance is completely unnecessary for the WTMD. This person was not instructed to use this stance. She was not emulating anyone ahead of her (she was first in line).

After she did it, 14 other people did it, emulating her. Again - none of them were instructed to use that stance, because it's completely uneccessary for the WTMD.

It's kind of like quacking like a duck when you start your car. It's not needed, and if you do it anyway, it's funny.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:09 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Remember the Alan Funt Candid Camera episode where the unsuspecting mark was filmed as he/she stepped into an elevator containing "extras" who had all been instructed to face the BACK of the elevator?

Ya just gotta know when everyone else is facing the back of the elevator.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Remember the Alan Funt Candid Camera episode where the unsuspecting mark was filmed as he/she stepped into an elevator containing "extras" who had all been instructed to face the BACK of the elevator?

Ya just gotta know when everyone else is facing the back of the elevator.
Is that where that came from? My psychology professor told me to try it out sometime. I still do it for entertainment value every once in a while.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think this is simply a combination of ignorance and apathy.

When the NOS were new, people didn't know they had to hold their hands up, so they tried to walk through like they would with a WTMD.

Most people do not fly very frequently, so they take cues from those around them. Most people also view airport security as something to get through in order to board the plane, not as an opportunity to make a statement about government oppression.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cbn42
Most people also view airport security as something to get through in order to board the plane, not as an opportunity to make a statement about government oppression.
Yeah, isn't that unfortunate?

Bruce
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:41 am

Remember, with the Stockholm Syndrome, the biggest
sycophant gets the biggest clump of oatmeal in the morning.
Although useless, practically, arms up through the Metal Detector is definitely a sign of "School Spirit."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.