Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Do you think I will be allowed into the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm really anxious about it, I should be flying out tomorrow evening but there's a bit of a back story.

In the beginning of November, my long distance American boyfriend drove to Canada to pick me up as we planned for me to stay with him over the holidays. In total it would be a two month vacation for me. Not thinking I could take this long of a leave of absence from my full time job, I quit before leaving. I was ill informed of what to bring with me to the border, we were crossing by land. Of course I was refused entry to the USA due to lack of ties to Canada.

My customs officer was the best, he told me to bring additional information with me the next time proving I had ties to Canada. Because I had quit my job and lived with my parents (I'm only 21) he said they viewed it essentially as me being unemployed and homeless because I couldn't prove otherwise.

Now, tomorrow I have booked a flight to the USA. I'm bringing with me a letter from my employer stating that I was re-hired as part time in the weeks before leaving and am taking a leave of absence until January 11th at which time I will be given back my full time position. I have bank statements and a pay check proving my full time hours. The flight is a round trip flight and I have enough american currency to support myself during my trip. Still, I'm worried that my previous refusal and the length of my trip will have me turned around at customs again.

Are there any experienced travelers who can ease my worries or give me some sort of likelihood of being allowed in the states? After being refused once I'm paranoid I won't be allowed in even with proof of ties to Canada, a return ticket, and my american currency. Is there anything else I can bring to prove my ties to Canada?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
You will probably be allowed in, but you will probably be spending a lot of time with the American immigration officer. What airport are you flying out of? If it is YYC, they don't allow you to enter the customs and immigration hall until two hours before flight time. I suggest paying to go standby on an earlier flight, and attempting to enter the hall on that pass.

At YVR, because the order of security and immigration is reversed for US bound flights, this two hour nonsense doesn't apply.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
I'm not following you really. From your story, I'm not sure if you're a Canadian citizen or not. If you are, then your ties to Canada would be proven by the fact that you had a Canadian passport. As far as proving that you aren't homeless, I assume at your age that you have a driver's license listing your home address. Could you please clarify?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying out of YYZ and I am a Canadian citizen, my address is on my driver's license but that wasn't enough proof the first time i tried to get through.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I'm not following you really. From your story, I'm not sure if you're a Canadian citizen or not. If you are, then your ties to Canada would be proven by the fact that you had a Canadian passport. As far as proving that you aren't homeless, I assume at your age that you have a driver's license listing your home address. Could you please clarify?
To US CBP, being a Canadian citizen with passport means nothing as regards intent to return to Canada. Means you CAN, but doesn't mean you WILL. Having a real job shows intent to return to and continue to live in Canada, which is what they're concerned about. Owning your home or living in a rental with a lease is even more proof of intent.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and yes, I do have a passport, ahaha.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
She is a Canadian.

Immigration officers across the world, but mostly in the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, and UK, are very worried about allowing in visitors who obviously intend to over stay and illegally remain in the destination country. Anyone who lacks a job at home and is visiting a significant other is red flag for such officers. Thus in English speaking countries, immigration officers often talk about "ties" to ones country of citizenship. Ties being job, home, etc.

I know someone who was a Canadian snowbird with a home in Florida. He was forced by the Florida Highway Patrol to get a FL drivers license. Which then required a US social security card. So one time he is flying from YYZ to MCO, and opens his wallet to present his photo ID (this was prior to WHTI ), and the officer notices his social security card. The guy had no proof of ties to Canada, no utility bills, no pay stub, no business card, etc. Denied entry.

He learned his lesson and was never denied entry again. He also buried his SS card deep in his wallet.

Last edited by mre5765; Nov 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.