Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WaPo Dr.Gridlock:Memorial fund created for slain TSA officer Gerardo Ismael Hernandez

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WaPo Dr.Gridlock:Memorial fund created for slain TSA officer Gerardo Ismael Hernandez

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

The Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock columnist Lori Aratani has posted an article about the memorial fund for Gerardo Ismael Hernandez, the first TSA employee to die in the line of duty:
Washington Post, Dr. Gridlock:
Memorial fund created for slain TSA officer

November 6, 2013

A short quote:
[Gerardo Ismael Hernandez] was a married father of two who lived in Porter Ranch, Calif. He had worked at the agency since 2010.

Checks to the Hernandez fund should be made payable to the Gerardo Ismael Hernandez Memorial Fund and sent to the following address:

Gerardo Ismael Hernandez Memorial Fund
c/o First Entertainment Credit Union
6735 Forest Lawn Drive
Hollywood, CA 90068

And here is some coverage of a memorial service held for him:
NBC-4, Southern California:
Beachside Vigil For Slain TSA Agent -
The 39-year-old father of two was gunned down while working at LAX

Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013

A short quote,describing Mr. Hernandez:
Amazing man. He was always smiling, always bringing joy to the checkpoint,” said Danielle, a TSA supervisor who declined to give her last name. “Always talking about his family, his wife, his kids. I couldn't admire him any more than I do now."

A quick search leads me to believe that this memorial fund has not yet been mentioned on FT, so I hope repliers to this thread will help keep it out of OMNI.
De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:38 pm

Perhaps there shouldn't be a place on FT for this. Especially the most polarizing FT forum.

Look, no matter what you think of the agency, this is a tragedy. Perhaps The Chertoff group and their DHS contracted exclusive suppliers of failed technology should be the first to donate.

Maybe DuPont or a body armor supplier would like to step up to the plate with some Kevlar for clerks, and make some good out of this incident.

Perhaps instead of donations folks could write to the LA World Airport police and demand LEOs be stationed before and after the TDC and not "60 seconds behind."

To ask the traveling public is insulting considering that the cost of a body scanner or puffer machine alone could be all the family needs to cover final expenses.

...off to the Omni with this thread.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I hope repliers to this thread will help keep it out of OMNI.
I think OMNI is where it belongs...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 9:50 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Maybe the mods should delete posts 2-4 and lock the thread?

This is followup information about a legitimate TS/S matter but really doesn't warrant any discussion.

Those who want to contribute to the surviving family members can note the address and do so. Anyone else can move on immediately to another thread.
I disagree. If you just want to get the address out, then use Twitter.

FT is for discussion. This sub-forum is for debate, and respectfully, not everyone is going to agree. To say something doesn't warrant discussion works in direct contradiction to the spirit of this forum.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
What am I missing? What does a plug for a memorial fund have to do with TS&S or CBP/Debate? Why isn't this in FT Cares?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Why isn't this in FT Cares?
That's a good question. I do not have enough information about the new memorial fund to know if it meets the stipulations outlined in the "FlyerTalk Cares! Guidelines for Posting" post, which include:

This new Forum has been established to encourage the charitable involvement by FlyerTalkers and to allow members to easily ask for support for causes meaningful to them. ... Your charity should be one that you personally support, either with time or money. ...The charity must be approved as tax exempt within your country.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Perhaps a fund could be created for the victims of TSA sexual assault?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Perhaps there shouldn't be a place on FT for this.
I respectfully disagree with you, Ysitincoach.

FT had a place for a thread about an eleven-week-old kitten freezing to death on a plane, so I think FT can find a place for this as well.

To ask the traveling public is insulting considering that the cost of a body scanner or puffer machine alone could be all the family needs to cover final expenses.
That's kind of why I thought it belonged here.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps there shouldn't be a place on FT for this. Especially the most polarizing FT forum.

Look, no matter what you think of the agency, this is a tragedy. Perhaps The Chertoff group and their DHS contracted exclusive suppliers of failed technology should be the first to donate.

Maybe DuPont or a body armor supplier would like to step up to the plate with some Kevlar for clerks, and make some good out of this incident.

Perhaps instead of donations folks could write to the LA World Airport police and demand LEOs be stationed before and after the TDC and not "60 seconds behind."

...off to the Omni with this thread.
The clerks aren't in any more danger than anybody else at the checkpoint. It was just a fluke that Ciancia was mainly after clerks. The greatest vulnerability has always been the crowd at the checkpoint, and any organized attack would cause a massacre.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:00 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
What am I missing? What does a plug for a memorial fund have to do with TS&S or CBP/Debate? Why isn't this in FT Cares?
Here's why:

Originally Posted by Spiff
Perhaps a fund could be created for the victims of TSA sexual assault?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
The best memorial to Mr. Hernandez would be for TSA to decide to grope fewer people.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Ari
Here's why:
Ah, so a comment sometime after the initial post makes it OK to post the original OT point? Right. Got it. How long do we have to wait for an on topic post to appear before we suggest and OT post and thread get moved?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The clerks aren't in any more danger than anybody else at the checkpoint. It was just a fluke that Ciancia was mainly after clerks. The greatest vulnerability has always been the crowd at the checkpoint, and any organized attack would cause a massacre.
Doubt that it was a fluke. It was a calculated, planned mission to kill. Reports from the scene indicate Ciancia even went so far as to ask passengers, "TSA?" Then moved on.

This agency's actions over the last decade have manifested into Ciancia's attack. The clerks were targeted because of this. So perhaps any memorial would best be served from within the agency that created the problems. They have the means to do it, and they shouldn't have to ask the public for financial assistance.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Doubt that it was a fluke. It was a calculated, planned mission to kill. Reports from the scene indicate Ciancia even went so far as to ask passengers, "TSA?" Then moved on.

This agency's actions over the last decade have manifested into Ciancia's attack. The clerks were targeted because of this. So perhaps any memorial would best be served from within the agency that created the problems. They have the means to do it, and they shouldn't have to ask the public for financial assistance.
I'm not saying that once Ciancia started it was a fluke that he went after TSA clerks, I'm saying that there's no particular reason that an attack would be expected against clerks and not passengers. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Ciancia had never flown; that his screed was just a hook on which to hang his disordered thinking. Certainly he didn't have a coherent plan to achieve any goal, because attacking clerks wouldn't be expected to do anything other than allow clerk apologists to portray them as heroes and martyrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.