Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Which country has the most intimidating border control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which country has the most intimidating border control?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I'm really surprised that Mexico is on the list. I've entered Mexico numerous times, I don't think anyone has every even asked me a question.
I've never flown in to Mexico, but crossing the border as a pedestrian (in the 1990s at Juarez) and in a private vehicle (within the past week at Nogales) I have yet to be questioned, asked for ID, or even stopped by Mexican border officials.

Returning to the US is, of course, a different story. Not too onerous: show the passport, answer a couple of questions, CBP officer looks inside vehicle, and on my way.

A couple of summers ago I returned to the U.S. from Europe through BOS. LH flight arrived in mid-afternoon and my next flight wasn't until the following morning. I was "randomly selected" for "additional screening". It wasn't a busy time of day and I was in no hurry - really happy to be back home after four months in Italy. I brought my bags over to the inspection table and asked the officer how the Red Sox were doing. We chatted about pitches and runs for about a minute before he remembered that he had to search my bags. No problem. He partially unzipped one of my bags - peeked inside - then closed it and said "You're good to go."
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Note that three of top ten are countries of the Anglosphere. Australia (IME) and New Zealand (based on second hand experiences) join USA, Canada, and the UK, as the worst.

As a Canadian citizen, I've had the odd questions about what I intend to do in Canada and how long I am staying, but the real problem in Canada is that during the summer CBSA hires teenagers who are pretty clueless. Always try to approach the booth staffed by the old gray head who is reading a paperback. He has seen it all, heard it all.

Never have had a hassle entering Mexico by foot, plane, or ship.

South Korea passport control is a breeze. South Korea airport security is quirky, but once you go through it once, and know what to expect, it is fine.

China, Singapore, Schengen, Japan Sri Lanka are easy. India is easy for non Indians. Indians appear to be questioned longer at entry and even longer at exit.

Last edited by mre5765; Oct 20, 2013 at 8:44 am
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:24 am

I've also had problems at the Canadian border including being detained for 3-4 hours. I actually asked them if I could just withdraw my request to enter their country and they said no. This was to enter Quebec through a land border traveling by car. In my case, when I was detained, my circumstances were rather suspicious. So it was kind of understandable. Well except for the part about holding me against my will.

However I do think the US is by far the worst of all of the 40+ European, Asian, and Latin American countries I have traveled to. Although those Quebecois Immigration people behaved badly I don't think they were quite the same kind of creature you find working on the US side and I say this as a US citizen.

I've seen how foreigners are treated. Basically in a way that is indistinguishable from animals. I actually think a stray dog trying to cross over a land border would be treated with more respect and compassion. I cannot imagine what we have in the US that is worth being treated like that. I guess there may be a few unique places in the southwest of the country that might be worth that to some people. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

I would imagine the fact that anyone would actually be willing to be treated like that would make US immigration even more suspicious of them. Maybe that's their ploy: Make the whole process so unpleasant that anyone who requests entry for the purpose of mere tourism after having heard about what goes on or upon returning for a second time surely must have ulterior motives.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by gojirasan
I've also had problems at the Canadian border including being detained for 3-4 hours. I actually asked them if I could just withdraw my request to enter their country and they said no.
I am guessing from your FT handle that you were driving while "coloured".
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by mre5765
I am guessing from your FT handle that you were driving while "coloured".
Or were threatening to stomp all over Tokyo.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Or were threatening to stomp all over Tokyo.

Until your post I was only familiar with Godzilla.

I was reading his handle as "Goji Rasan" which looked vaguely Desi to me.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:59 pm

Actually I'm not even of Asian descent. I just kind of identify with the late great Gojira. I suppose it could be a bit confusing without a dash or space. Gojira-san would just 'translate' to something like Mr. Godzilla. Because without the san it would be just be a bit too informal. Not as bad as Gojira-kun though.

As far as what happened at the Canadian border I was given bad advice and was a bit too obvious about my plans for an extended stay across the border. I figured the worst they could do was just turn me away. Instead they held me prisoner for a few hours and then turned me away and made it very difficult for me to ever return.

I actually hadn't been planning anything truly illegal. I just wanted a bit of expat time in Montreal and was planning to do visa runs every so often to keep things legit. This was before 9/11 of course. After that visa runs back to the US would have been too difficult.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:22 pm

I am most surprised by South Korea being in the list, the few times I have been there I have never been asked any questions or even glanced at.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Leviticus
I am most surprised by South Korea being in the list, the few times I have been there I have never been asked any questions or even glanced at.
+1

But it depends on your method of entry. On board a Northerner mini-submarine could be a different experience than at ICN

More seriously, I have seen convoys moving across the DMZ at Kaeson, but have no idea how the entry formalities are handled on the Southern end.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by mre5765
South Korea passport control is a breeze. South Korea airport security is quirky, but once you go through it once, and know what to expect, it is fine.
What should I expect? Will be transiting ICN soon.

My story about South Korea passport control: when I was about 10, my parents and I walked up to the desk, and then the agent pointed at me and my dad and shouted something. My mum then went through by herself, then my dad went through, and I had to stand alone behind the yellow line or whatever with a scary man (passenger, not security type) breathing down my back while my parents got shouted at to move on (and not wait for me).

Australia (IME) and New Zealand (based on second hand experiences) join USA, Canada, and the UK, as the worst.
At least Australia, the UK (and NZ)? don't question their own citizens...

Schengen... are easy. India is easy for non Indians. Indians appear to be questioned longer at entry and even longer at exit.
I find Schengen to be easy if you have the right passport IME. Race/colour doesn't matter, except anecdotally at WAW.

Last edited by :D!; Oct 22, 2013 at 9:28 am
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
But it depends on your method of entry. On board a Northerner mini-submarine could be a different experience than at ICN
If that's your method of entry, you'd be lucky to survive the entry process.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
What should I expect? Will be transiting ICN soon.
If going through security (I don't know if there are any connections that require going through security):

- shoes off, and then wear the sandals they supply
- if your laptop has a removable battery, you will be required to remove it before sending the laptop through the X-ray.

Otherwise it is much like a Europe transit.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is at least one country that sentences immigration "violators" to being caned -- and it rips the flesh on the backside quite extensively with lifetime scars visible. It is a US VWP country that has a very hypocritical, despotic ruling family whose previous next in the line to the throne would camp out at the Park Hyatt in Paris.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is at least one country that sentences immigration "violators" to being caned -- and it rips the flesh on the backside quite extensively with lifetime scars visible. It is a US VWP country that has a very hypocritical, despotic ruling family whose previous next in the line to the throne would camp out at the Park Hyatt in Paris.
I thought he hung out at the Plaza Athenee (assuming I've got the right country. I was never caned there, but that could be a somewhat stressful border experience...)

Last edited by AlreadyThere; Oct 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I believe the truly most vile exercise of border crossing authority comes from those governments that require exit visas, from visitors and/or their own citizens.
You do realize this includes the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.