I'm the 3rd person through the checkpoint in the early
AM. Bag is locked with TSA approved lock. I leave the
CPAP in the bag.

TSA agent comes to me and says they need to inspect
the CPAP... and that the bag is NOT supposed to be locked
while going through security. Hmm, then why do we have
these TSA approved locks?

Odd given the last 2 times through SAT TSA checkpoint
they did not say a word about the CPAP in the bag.

YOW on July 28th...

CPAP in the bag, bag NOT locked and I forget to remove
my 1-quart zip lock liquid bag from my bag. It all zips through
without a comment or problem. They saw all the liquids in one
location on the machine and did not make a fuss... and typically
in Canada I never have to remove the CPAP for inspection.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CPAP machines are supposed to be removed and presented to an Officer. That's for your own protection as the instructions for most warn against sending through X-Ray.

TSA-"approved" locks aren't for hand luggage, they are for checked luggage.

The Officer was helping you out. Hope the machine not harmed.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
CPAP machines are supposed to be removed and presented to an Officer. That's for your own protection as the instructions for most warn against sending through X-Ray.

That is news to me that CPAP machines are harmed by x-rays... having
been a CPAP and traveler for several years.

What is the source of your information regarding that?

From TSA site...

"All CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs must be screened by X-ray. If the X-ray cannot see through all parts of the CPAP, BiPAP, or APAP, additional screening by X-ray or other methods may be required."
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC SE

As per Resmed:

Will the x-ray scanners at the airport security affect my CPAP device?

No.
The x-ray scanners will not harm your CPAP device. However, Security may require you to show the medical statement from your physician verifying that you are carrying medical equipment. Make sure this is handy.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by fly-yul
As per Resmed:

Will the x-ray scanners at the airport security affect my CPAP device?

No.
The x-ray scanners will not harm your CPAP device. However, Security may require you to show the medical statement from your physician verifying that you are carrying medical equipment. Make sure this is handy.
As a side note, I always separate my humidifier and pack the pump and humidifier in separate 1-gal plastic bags, sending both through the X-ray. I've never had any TSO inspect either piece. One did comment on the plastic bags. It seems most CPAP machines they see are sent through directly on the bin, and not in a protective bag. Yuck.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Always inform the screener that you have a cpap, and it must be removed from its case, per TSA policy.

https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informa...paps-and-apaps
Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer [sic] may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.
I've removed my liquids baggy from my carryon maybe 3-4 times in the last year, spanning probably 70 flights. I only do so when they explicitly state that everyone must do so. That's a rare occurrence for me.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Always inform the screener that you have a cpap, and it must be removed from its case, per TSA policy.

Genuine question: why bother quoting what TSA policy is given the stations will simply Make Shite Up to suit themselves?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Paul56
YOW on July 28th...

CPAP in the bag, bag NOT locked and I forget to remove
my 1-quart zip lock liquid bag from my bag. It all zips through
without a comment or problem. They saw all the liquids in one
location on the machine and did not make a fuss... and typically
in Canada I never have to remove the CPAP for inspection.
The TSA (thankfully) doesn't operate in Canada. The Canadian version CATSA while not perfect in many respects is a definite improvement over the thugs often found in U.S. airports.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

If I ever have checked luggage I will use zip-ties.

TSA approved locks were used on my carry-on for the TSA
convenience as well as some measure of peace of mind for me.

Instead of berating me for securing my items perhaps the agent
should have merely used the tools to open the bag.

I was not denying them the ability to inspect.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Genuine question: why bother quoting what TSA policy is given the stations will simply Make Shite Up to suit themselves?
I really don't know what they want anymore with respect to CPAP
despite their policy statements.

I've gone through security without an inspect more often than I've
had the inspection.

I've started to removed the CPAP only to have an agent wave me off.

Not knowing what to expect... I simply leave it in the bag and let
them decide if further inspection is necessary.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

(bolding mine)

Source?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
They are the ONLY locks allowed on checked baggage, I'll agree. But even those can be cut off at the screener's whim if they don't have the master key set.

But for hand baggage, any sort of lock is allowed. Combination or secure key locks serve the very useful function of forcing the screener to do it in front of you, with your knowledge and presence. None of this taking the bag away or hidden by their bodies. There is no requirement at the checkpoint to allow them unobserved bag access.

That it slows 'em down is a side benefit.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:23 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
TSA-"approved" locks can be used on any luggage you want to put them on. In fact, you can use any kind of lock you want on any kind of luggage. However, non-TSA-approved locks on checked luggage may be subject to forcible removal if the TSA deems it necessary to access your checked luggage. And there is no guarantee that the TSA-approved locks on your checked luggage will be replaced on your luggage or even relocked if replaced on your checked luggage if the TSA deems it necessary to access your checked luggage. If you use a lock on your carry-on luggage you need to be able to open the lock should the TSA request you to do so, but you do not have to use a TSA-approved lock on carry-on luggage.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
TSA-"approved" locks can be used on any luggage you want to put them on. In fact, you can use any kind of lock you want on any kind of luggage. However, non-TSA-approved locks on checked luggage may be subject to forcible removal if the TSA deems it necessary to access your checked luggage. And there is no guarantee that the TSA-approved locks on your checked luggage will be replaced on your luggage or even relocked if replaced on your checked luggage if the TSA deems it necessary to access your checked luggage. If you use a lock on your carry-on luggage you need to be able to open the lock should the TSA request you to do so, but you do not have to use a TSA-approved lock on carry-on luggage.
There is no guarantee that TSA luggage screeners will even close your checked luggage if they decide to inspect it. I have picked up my checked luggage to find that it was not fully closed, and TSA didn't even leave a note inside saying that it had been inspected. I knew it had been opened because when I checked it in, the suitcase was zipped all the way around and the secondary strap was buckled. When I pulled the bag off of the carousel, the strap was un-fastened and the zipper was partially open. Nothing was missing, thank goodness!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
But for hand baggage, any sort of lock is allowed. Combination or secure key locks serve the very useful function of forcing the screener to do it in front of you, with your knowledge and presence. None of this taking the bag away or hidden by their bodies. There is no requirement at the checkpoint to allow them unobserved bag access.
Amen, I ALWAYS lock everything going through the x-ray machine. Why would I give a TSO access to my valuables (iPad, wallet, etc.) without me being right there to watch over them?

If a TSO ever lectures me or tells me I can't lock my items, I will just give them the dumb look and smile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.