Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Time: "Beware “Underwear 2″: TSA Chief Offers Rare al Qaeda Bomb Details"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time: "Beware “Underwear 2″: TSA Chief Offers Rare al Qaeda Bomb Details"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post Time: "Beware “Underwear 2″: TSA Chief Offers Rare al Qaeda Bomb Details"

A "next generation" device that could have slipped past airport security, and the evil genius behind it

For many Americans, airline security is an onerous and even excessive burden. But in remarks at a national security forum on Friday, Transportation Security Administration chief John Pistole illustrated why the federal government is still on high alert. Speaking in unusual detail, Pistole offered specifics about an underwear bomb devised by a master al Qaeda bomb-maker in Yemen meant to be exploded in an airliner over the United States last year.
http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/19...#ixzz2Zd0BI6lW

Most of the comments below could have been posted by cynical FTers.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Blah, blah, blah... Be afraid, citizen! Be very afraid!!!

Get stuffed, Pissant.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
More BS justification for using NoS as primary screening methodology.

Of course, it could also be laying the groundwork for bringing back BSX, with some claim that the MMW can't see this twisted genius' work but BSX can. Or, perhaps it's the groundwork for a new secret program where the perv in a box will be re-installed, because ATR can's see this "twisted genius's" work. Or maybe it's even the groundwork for justifying a massive program of strip searches.

I am really surprised that after all this time nobody in TSA has proposed body cavity searches to look for cavity bombs. Well, maybe next year...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I am really surprised that after all this time nobody in TSA has proposed body cavity searches to look for cavity bombs. Well, maybe next year...
Don't you remember eyecue saying that they could already search for those, but, when questioned, clammed up & ran away. Again. It must be SSI.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
“They want to show that we can spend billions and billions of dollars,” Pistole told Ross, “and we still can’t stop them.”
And Pissy is proposing to spend more Billions?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:24 pm

“They want to show that we can spend billions and billions of dollars,” Pistole told Ross, “and we still can’t stop them.”
Seems to me to be a good argument to present to our legislators for /cutting/ the DHS TSA budget, not increasing it. No matter what we do, it's reactive, not proactive, so stop already.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chicken Little comes to mind.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure who I pity more---those of us that must deal with the TSA reactions, or those who don't see through an agency trying to justify itself at every turn.

Indeed, many people I talk to have consumed the koolaide.

Joel
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I had no idea Pistole had turned into Count Floyd.

"Oooh, it's gonna be real scary, kids!"
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
I wonder if the "simple household caulk" was silicone or urethane.

It's pretty much an admission that vapor sniffing machines can be trivially bypassed.
No surprise to anyone with a lab or food storage background. People that ship pungent weed have known cheap, effective techniques for decades.

The bad guys can test how clean they need to be during handling, without carrying on the actual device. They can probe dozens of times without risk. 'False' positives can even be a bonus, as they establish a pattern of false alarms.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Chicken Little comes to mind.

The sky is falling? But the planes are staying aloft...Mostly...

Maybe that's what happened at SFO...The plane didn't crash, the sky fell. Makes sense...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.