Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
This is literally the highlight of my week. Such great news!
Old May 10, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Flew in to EWR from UK today with Ms. OrlandoFlyer. We were on separate PNRs and I got TSA pre-check and she did not at EWR. The redcoat prior to the TDC told us that the software had glitches, they were trying to fix it, and that some people were getting TSA pre-check from Int'l flights while others were not. So it seems that their might be some truth in that story based upon our experience.
Old May 11, 2013, 1:22 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ari
I'm basing my speculation on this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/bu...rity.html?_r=0

Presumably there is something about Pre that requires permission from other countries. Or maybe not. But I don't think it is that big a leap given Pistole's statement.
He said "those people that are part of PreCheck or Global Entry will be allowed to go through PreCheck when they fly internationally." That doesn't necessarily mean that it's only those people who are also going to the EU, Canada, and Australia. Although it could be read that way, in the context.

But has there been any official TSA confirmation (aside from the ambiguous NYT quote) that international PreCheck is limited to those 3 destinations?

The actual TSA website only says this:

"Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?
A. Yes. TSA Pre✓™ is available for passengers traveling domestically within the United States and internationally from the United States on participating airlines. TSA also allows eligible TSA Pre✓™ participants to qualify for expedited screening benefits when connecting to a domestic flight after arriving to the United States on an international flight"

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-faqs

Which is consistent with Pistole's statement of "those people that are part of PreCheck" and does not list any destination country limitations.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
He said "those people that are part of PreCheck or Global Entry will be allowed to go through PreCheck when they fly internationally." That doesn't necessarily mean that it's only those people who are also going to the EU, Canada, and Australia. Although it could be read that way, in the context.

But has there been any official TSA confirmation (aside from the ambiguous NYT quote) that international PreCheck is limited to those 3 destinations?

The actual TSA website only says this:

"Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?
A. Yes. TSA Pre✓™ is available for passengers traveling domestically within the United States and internationally from the United States on participating airlines. TSA also allows eligible TSA Pre✓™ participants to qualify for expedited screening benefits when connecting to a domestic flight after arriving to the United States on an international flight"

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-faqs

Which is consistent with Pistole's statement of "those people that are part of PreCheck" and does not list any destination country limitations.
The TSA's press release about the international expansion said that PreCheck would be available on "select" international itineraries, indicating that there may be a destination restriction.

TSA Pre✓™ Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel
Old May 12, 2013, 3:01 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I flew SEA-CDG on May 9. Both my wife and I got the triple beep, but the TSA clerk rejected us, merging us into the regular line "because the program is not for international flights."

I said that this had changed, but she said something like "not here."

Once through screening (and after my usual stink over not being able to see my belongings while opting out), I discussed with a 3-striper. He said he normally didn't work this checkpoint (the only one with Pre), so he didn't know the rules. He checked with another supe confirmed that I was right, and went off to "re-train" the original clerk.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by andymo99
I flew SEA-CDG on May 9. Both my wife and I got the triple beep, but the TSA clerk rejected us, merging us into the regular line "because the program is not for international flights."

I said that this had changed, but she said something like "not here."

Once through screening (and after my usual stink over not being able to see my belongings while opting out), I discussed with a 3-striper. He said he normally didn't work this checkpoint (the only one with Pre), so he didn't know the rules. He checked with another supe confirmed that I was right, and went off to "re-train" the original clerk.
Thank you for taking the time to teach the TSA their own rules. Rogue TSA people who expressly make up their own rules despite federal policy ("not here") are the worst.

I went through PreCheck today at SFO (first time at this airport) and the TSO made me remove my jacket even though it was light and thin, while letting the passenger in front of me keep his longer, thicker jacket on. Sometimes I think TSOs get away with power tripping because they can justify anything under their twin banners of "random and unpredictable" and "9/11!!!!!!!!"
Old May 12, 2013, 7:46 am

UA flyers are now reporting receiving PreCheck when going to Asian destinations such as ICN and PVG.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
UA flyers are now reporting receiving PreCheck when going to Asian destinations such as ICN and PVG.
Excellent. So I may be able to use PreCheck at ATL outbound on KE after all. Interesting. Well, in a few days I'll know, at least as of now.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:58 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Excellent. So I may be able to use PreCheck at ATL outbound on KE after all. Interesting. Well, in a few days I'll know, at least as of now.
Only if connecting to KE from a DL/UA/US/AA/AS flight; KE isn't a PreCheck participant.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Ari
Only if connecting to KE from a DL/UA/US/AA/AS flight; KE isn't a PreCheck participant.
Ahhhh, good point. Ticket is DL-issued, but it looks like I'll be outta luck. i'll report on whether a Pre-Check line is set up, regardless of whether I get to use it.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I got PreCheck yesterday at RDU, flying to LIM (through ATL). I have GE/Nexus.

I thought the PreCheck printed on the BP was a mistake, as I missed seeing this thread. It beeped three times, they sent me over to Pre, and she sent me right through.

Woo! RDU gets PreCheck *and* international is now accepted.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 14940674
The European Commission sets E.U.-wide security regulations. If the Commission agreed to accept PreCheck-screened passengers, Pistole would be correct in saying that a deal had been reached with the E.U.
The TSA's press release about the international expansion said that PreCheck would be available on "select" international itineraries, indicating that there may be a destination restriction.

TSA Pre✓™ Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel
So which country or group of countries is it that has refused to accept PreChecked-screened passengers but was accepting non-PreCheck US-originating passengers? The mention in Pistole's announcement was about Australia, Canada and the EU being included in the PreCheck expansion, and yet even without any more recent deals with various countries, a whole bunch of other countries beyond Australia, Canada and the EU are accepting PreCheck-screened passengers too even where no bilateral agreement was more recently made in the aviation sector.

It ought to be relatively clear to a bunch more people now that the situation is about as clear as mud when dealing with Pistole and his comments.

So has anyone considered that this or some other PreCheck "expansion" may really be part of a USG way to try to co-opt the EU/Canada/Australia/others and pre-empt (some) complaints about the US using "security" to erect an unlawful, trade-distorting NTB?

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Equally 'clear as mud' is the business about which airlines qualify.

If my Pre-check access is based on GE/NEXUS and I book a codeshare on AF metal through DL's website/ticket stock, how does that disqualify me?
Old May 14, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
If my Pre-check access is based on GE/NEXUS and I book a codeshare on AF metal through DL's website/ticket stock, how does that disqualify me?
To use PreCheck, the operating carrier must be a PreCheck participant. AF's computer is not configured to encode BPs with PreCheck eligibility.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
To use PreCheck, the operating carrier must be a PreCheck participant. AF's computer is not configured to encode BPs with PreCheck eligibility.
People fly DL-coded-AF-operated flights out of the US on DL boarding passes too.

DL's computers are able to encode BPs with PreCheck eligibility.

However, have US carriers' systems been instructed not to allow for such things for US-airline-marketed codeshare flights operated by (at least some) non-US carriers?

So PreCheck is a NTB of sort that undermines free trade and international competition ... in the name of "security". Then the "expansion" ought to be welcomed as undermining NTBs, if for nothing else.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.