Search

Denied Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
No!!! Most people I know in the program have never been arrested/charged/convicted of anything.
Actually, probably yes, if you managed to read (and quote) the entire post while understanding it in context.

A "criminal background" most frequently exists even in the absence of arrests/charges/prosecutions/convictions. Don't you realize that not all criminal activity results in prosecution of all actual violators of most any given criminal statute?

Every person who is free to move about of their own means should be lawfully entitled to the benefits of this "trusted traveler" nonsense, regardless of "criminal background" or not. Post-sentence completion "punishment" is unnecessary and unwelcome extrajudicial administrative punishment and an affront to decent appreciation for liberty and freedom for all free persons.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:59 pm

Well, I created an account to talk about this with my user information obfuscated. I'll explain my situation and my experience.

In 1993, I was involved in some activities. Those activities have affected my life and altered its trajectory. I take ownership of my actions and have done quite well in spite of it. I was convicted of theft in 1994 after cooperating with authorities. During sentencing, I spoke to the judge and mentioned my mistake and he offered me a couple options. I asked for the harsher punishment. I was sentenced to a misdemeanor and given 2 years of community service. The judge agreed and said he didn't expect to see me in a court again. And, with the exception of traffic courts, I've a boy scout.

I have been traveling since 1996. No issues, long travel history.

I used my platinum card to apply for the GE program, knowing it wouldn't cost me any money out of pocket. In the last couple years, I've been to the Bahamas, Canada and most recently to Mexico on a cruise with my children.

Canada and Mexico were in the last two months.

I applied at the end of July and was conditionally approved within 2 days. I did enter my conviction information when asked.

I couldn't find an appointment until October but kept checking and finally found an appointment for Monday. The interview was quite easy. He asked if I had been co Canada and Mexico recently. Then he asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime. I told him yes and simply said that I was convicted of a misdemeanor.

My fingerprints and picture were taken. I was given a paper explaining how to use the system and was told I would receive notice of approval in 24-48 hours and my card in 7 days or so. I checked and checked. The system reflected "Interview Scheduled". I read on other posts about that being a sign of rejection.

I was saddened but understand how my past could be a problem, even though I live a good, clean life now.

I was just approved at the 3 day mark. I received notice I am in the program.

So those who've had some issues in their lived in the past shouldn't give up. It is possible to get in.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Congratulations!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:59 pm

I had my interview today for GE. 22 years ago when I was 18, I was arrested for a felony possession charge that was later dismissed. An order of non-disclosure was also issued sealing the record from the public, but not law enforcement. Since this is not considered a conviction, I did not list it on my application. This is the only hiccup I ever had in my life and went on to go to college and become successful.

The Customs agent was very nice and she started out with taking my picture and fingerprints and then we talked while I could tell she was waiting for the background results. When she asked if I had ever been arrested, I explained that I had but it was never a conviction and also brought certified copies of all the court paperwork since I knew it would come up in the interview.

In the end she told me I would be approved and that it would probably take about 3 days before I get the approval email because she would need to send in the court paperwork I had given her. She also explained how the program and kiosk worked and told me I would receive my card in about 10 day.

I was happy that it sounded like I was accepted, but when I got home I logged into my GOES account and it states that my application has been denied for the status. It states, "Your application for the Trusted Traveler Program has been denied. If you need additional information regarding the denial, please contact a Trusted Traveler enrollment center."

I have not received an email of any kind saying that I was denied so I am just wondering if this is what is entered as a temporary status until the court documents are reviewed and then I am approved. Has anyone experienced this? I would be disappointed if she told me that I would be approved and then actually deny me.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds as if she got overruled when she sent in the paperwork.

Why not wait until you get the "official" letter and then call in. It's just as easy for someone to have typed "was convicted of..." as "was not convicted..." So maybe it's an error you can get fixed.

Take it one step at a time.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Has anyone been rejected for GE due to error in application and then subsequently approved for GE? 5 yrs ago when I applied for GE, I mistakenly wrote in "No" under the arrests column when I did have traffic fines/misdemeanors (got confusing advice about what to write). Now that my business travels are coming down, I am thinking of reapplying for GE. Would it even fly or just be auto-rejected because of the previous rejection?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I need help...and nobody listens at GE

I've got GE and my wife has been denied twice. According to the rejection, something was confiscated from her bag 9 years ago as we were connecting at JFK. We don't know what it was and it must have shown up on an x-ray scan...because we vaguely remember it being mentioned to us later ...but we were never detained. I've appealed to the ombudsman and heard nothing... We re-applied after waiting almost a year. Each time she was scheduled for an interview and told at the interview she was denied. We don't know or remember what was confiscated and don't seem to be able to talk to anybody about it.
We travel together internationally and it would make both of our lives a lot easier if we could both use GOES. Has anybody ever had any luck talking to someone at GOES. The airport interviewers say it is out of their hands. I'm out of ideas.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by biznews
I've got GE and my wife has been denied twice. According to the rejection, something was confiscated from her bag 9 years ago as we were connecting at JFK. We don't know what it was and it must have shown up on an x-ray scan...because we vaguely remember it being mentioned to us later ...but we were never detained. I've appealed to the ombudsman and heard nothing... We re-applied after waiting almost a year. Each time she was scheduled for an interview and told at the interview she was denied. We don't know or remember what was confiscated and don't seem to be able to talk to anybody about it.
We travel together internationally and it would make both of our lives a lot easier if we could both use GOES. Has anybody ever had any luck talking to someone at GOES. The airport interviewers say it is out of their hands. I'm out of ideas.
You said that you've appealed to the Ombudsman. Let that process work itself through. It may take 6-9 months, but it will result in a decision, perhaps not the one which you want.

Unfortunately for your wife, the underlying incident is exactly what GE shortcuts, so it's almost worse than something seemingly more serious.

In the meantime, the two of you should spend some serious time thinking through the JFK incident. It was serious enough for CBP to file a report on it (I presume that the bag was checked under your wife's name so she takes the GE hit), so you really need to do all that you can to recall the details. It matters if it was a slice of salami vs a kilo of something controlled.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
She waited for the Ombudsman process for almost a year before...after hearing nothing... she re-applied and was granted another personal interview. The incident was on the order of salami and was definitely not some controlled substance. She'd just like the chance to have some form of dialogue. She's probably re-entered the country a dozen times since 2004 and always without incident or challenge.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:33 pm
Suspended

And there lies her problem. She applied, was denied, sought review from the Ombudsman, and then reapplied before she had a resolution from the Ombudsman. Her status was denied, so she was denied again.

Back to the Ombudsman she goes. This time, do not reapply until you have a resolution.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The problem really is that you need to generally have the whitest of white records to have or keep GE. They are really strict.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by stifle
The problem really is that you need to generally have the whitest of white records to have or keep GE. They are really strict.
They can't be that strict: they approved me.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I find it kind of odd that she remembers having something confiscated but doesn't know what it was. Also, isn't she having a dialogue with someone eat each interview? They are telling her that there is a record of something being seized from her, they are telling her that she is being denied, and they are presumably telling her that she is being denied because she has a documented history of once attempting to enter the country with an impermissible item.

If I had a bad grade on my school record and I applied to Harvard twice and they rejected me twice, I would probably stop applying to Harvard.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:57 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by biznews
She waited for the Ombudsman process for almost a year before...after hearing nothing... she re-applied and was granted another personal interview. The incident was on the order of salami and was definitely not some controlled substance. She'd just like the chance to have some form of dialogue. She's probably re-entered the country a dozen times since 2004 and always without incident or challenge.
Didn't she have to pay another $100 fee for the 2nd application?
Even if she now gets "cleared" by the Ombudsman, would she have to (now) pay a 3rd $100 fee?
As a US citizen, she is allowed to reenter the US, and the past incident did not set off "flags" with CBP; GE may be more fussy.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I find it kind of odd that she remembers having something confiscated but doesn't know what it was. Also, isn't she having a dialogue with someone eat each interview? They are telling her that there is a record of something being seized from her, they are telling her that she is being denied, and they are presumably telling her that she is being denied because she has a documented history of once attempting to enter the country with an impermissible item.

If I had a bad grade on my school record and I applied to Harvard twice and they rejected me twice, I would probably stop applying to Harvard.

^This. Certainly you or your wife knows the story in its entirety. If one party wants to take it to the grave or has certain recollection deficiencies, that sounds more like a personal problem, not a global entry problem. But I hear the Ombudsman offers free marriage counseling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.