Abundance of caution...and pepper spray

Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Pup7
If I'd sprayed five coworkers with pepper spray to "test [my] hypothesis" when I was an Air Force cop, I would've gotten at least an Article 15 - essentially the last line of punishment before a court-martial proceeding. I wonder what (won't) will happen to these yahoos since the incident is already being covered up as an accident by the TSA.

Pepper spray doesn't "accidentally" discharge. It's specifically designed not to for obvious reasons. Even the civilianized versions aren't just aim and shoot. And if the bottle was damaged and leaking, only the person picking it up and maybe one other would be affected. Not FIVE.
Don't try to apply logic or rational behavior to the TSA. The other five may have been just innocent[sic] victims, but this clown is apparently a highly-trained BDO and should be demoted back down to the baggage hall.

Even if you're certain it's a laser pointer, you DO NOT point it at anyone else.
Indicative of the general intelligence level of TSA workers I suppose.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I wonder how Blogger Bob can spin this one. I would be extremely pissed off if I was one of the 6 that were sent to the hospital.
"To protect the traveling public, our brave TSOs wrestled the pepper spray to the ground and discharged the contents. Every day, our highly-trained officers risk their lives on the Front Line of the War On Terror to prevent harm from dangerous items like this."
Originally Posted by Fredd
What's the TSA equivalent of a Purple Heart?
A purple face?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Does one have to feel even slightly ashamed/guilty for the word "schadenfreude" to apply?

The pepper spray discharger brings visions of this episode of the Simpsons, especially around 0:40 or so.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:17 pm

That it needed a trip to the hospital would be funny too, if our taxes weren't paying for it. Pepper spray exposure is not a hospital level event.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Just can't make this stuff up !!!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Famous last words: "Hey, want to see something neat?"

I had a coworker many years ago that would say this from time to time and we would all dive under the heaviest table we could find.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
"To protect the traveling public, our brave TSOs wrestled the pepper spray to the ground and discharged the contents. Every day, our highly-trained officers risk their lives on the Front Line of the War On Terror to prevent harm from dangerous items like this."
Wow, I hadn't even read the article when I posted the above, but look how close I got:
Originally Posted by The Gothamist
A spokesperson for the TSA gave us this statement: “Yesterday morning, out of an abundance of caution, six TSA officers at JFK Airport were transported to a local hospital after being exposed to pepper spray. Officers were examining an abandoned item to determine its contents and to move it out of harm’s way when it accidentally discharged. Travelers and other airport employees were not exposed to the spray.”
You literally can't make this stuff up; my attempt at a joke was indistinguishable from the real TSA statement!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

Pepper spray.

DIABOLICAL.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Does he reside at Birch Family Services or work there?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Wow, I hadn't even read the article when I posted the above, but look how close I got:

You literally can't make this stuff up; my attempt at a joke was indistinguishable from the real TSA statement!
Maybe you should work as their PR.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:48 am

If they ever DO find a bomb in their searches, they will detonate just to make sure they found the big one.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
TSO finds gun.

Wonders if loaded.

BANG!

Yep.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Don't try to apply logic or rational behavior to the TSA. The other five may have been just innocent[sic] victims, but this clown is apparently a highly-trained BDO and should be demoted back down to the baggage hall.
(Bolding mine) Even worse.....

And WillCAD - I've been sprayed with it as part of training. It's HIDEOUS. Fortunately I never carried it. (You can't as K9)
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:33 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by MrsGraupel
A six-pack of Cinnabons?
thanks, I just chortled beverage up my nose ^
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Pup7
(Bolding mine) Even worse.....

And WillCAD - I've been sprayed with it as part of training. It's HIDEOUS. Fortunately I never carried it. (You can't as K9)
Many years ago I got a very peripheral dose of the stuff when some brain surgeon sprayed it inside a store where I was shopping. My throat closed up and felt like I has swallowed a Brillo pad, my eyes teared and swelled, and I could barely breathe until I left the vicinity of the vile, vile stuff. I had no idea what it was until later, but it cleared out the whole store.

My earlier post, though, included a link to a YouTube video of the Light Grenade scene from Mom and Dad Save The World, in which the most DIABOLICAL weapon concocted by the planet of idiots was a grenade emblazoned with the words, "PICK ME UP." Each person picked it up... and vcanished. Then the next one picked it up... and vanished. Soon, it was down to two guys, and as the next-to-last guy reaches for the grenade, the last guy opens his radio and says, "We're going to need reinforcements down here!"

The more dangerous something seems, the more it screams PICK ME UP to a TSO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.