Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Liquids confiscated at LHR? Now they go to charity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquids confiscated at LHR? Now they go to charity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by stifle
The TSA does not seize or confiscate items, but it may require passengers to choose between surrendering them or not proceeding to the sterile area.
Yes they do.

Sometimes they even get caught doing it and have to resign - like the guy in MCO who confiscated a laptop in an orphaned bag a pax found and turned into him.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by chollie
IME, it's rare to find a TSO who actually offers you the option of leaving the line to dispose of the item instead of immediately tossing it. On occasion, when I've had the time, I've chosen to leave the line and go to the toilet and throw my item away there. I'd rather it go to a landfill than into the pocket of a TSO or the coffers of the agency.
If they force me to get rid of a drink, I'll just stand in front of them and drink the whole thing right then and there.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Himeno
If they force me to get rid of a drink, I'll just stand in front of them and drink the whole thing right then and there.
In European airports, I've always been offered the option to drink it right there in line (or leave the line to dispose of it). Always. I often do take a long drink before giving the rest up.

In the US, I have never been offered the option of keeping/leaving line my beverage vs. seeing it thrown away - even in a nalgene water bottle. There is absolutely no option to take a drink in line - I have asked. I think they don't want you to gulp the water down and then ask to keep the empty bottle. I have left the line and emptied the nalgene in the trash bin by the checkpoint and then gone through the same line again when I didn't want to lose the bottle.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WillCAD
What a wonderful new policy. It introduces an insidious new threat vector for terrorists - take poisonous liquids to the airport, let them be confiscated, sit back and watch as homeless people in London drop dead from the poison. It's a virtually untraceable vector, and will garner BIG headlines worldwide as the stupidity of liquids restrictions at the airport come back to bite London in the butt.

I am actually a little surprised that such a policy was put into place in the UK before the US. But give it time; I'm sure some Dudley Do-Rights will suggest it at LGA or LAX pretty soon.
Hey. Hey. Hey. Dudley Do-Right is Canadian !!! He's a Mountie. Not TSA.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
In European airports, I've always been offered the option to drink it right there in line (or leave the line to dispose of it). Always. I often do take a long drink before giving the rest up.

In the US, I have never been offered the option of keeping/leaving line my beverage vs. seeing it thrown away - even in a nalgene water bottle. There is absolutely no option to take a drink in line - I have asked. I think they don't want you to gulp the water down and then ask to keep the empty bottle. I have left the line and emptied the nalgene in the trash bin by the checkpoint and then gone through the same line again when I didn't want to lose the bottle.
The one time I forgot to empty my bottle, I remembered while I was in the queue between the TDC and the moat dragon, and guzzled it down while I was waiting. It was more than half full; I was afraid I'd guzzle it too quick and wind up spewing all over the floor. But I choked it all down, and when I got to the moat dragon, she asked me, "Is that bottle empty?" I said yes, but she didn't bother to verify it in any way. Little bit of trust from an agency that considers us all lying criminal terrorist drug smuggling money launderers. Made me feel warm and fuzzy.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:24 am

So it seems that the potentially explosive items confiscated at LHR (yes they confiscate things over here, none of this voluntary surrender) are magically neutralized and no longer dangerous once dropped in that big bin, so they can be handed over to charity.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-21881133
What an offensive program! If you know the items aren't dangerous, address the rules that require you to confiscate them! If you want to look saintly for helping the homeless, figure out how to do it without abusing flyers!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I witnessed a scene at CDG where two Slavic types were offered the same choice with their 0,5L vodka bottle - at 6 am. Without batting an eyelid, in a brotherly fashion they got rid of the offending liquid in two long gulps. The empty bottle went to the bin.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
The flaw in giving confiscated toiletries to homeless people:

Many shampoos are green. Green fabric dye is green. Shampoo containing green fabric dye is green. Homeless people who use this "free" shampoo are green.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
The TSA does not seize or confiscate items, but it may require passengers to choose between surrendering them or not proceeding to the sterile area.
You live in a world that does not match our reality.

While I more often than not given the "choice", I've also been subjected to "you can't take that aboard" while the item is being tossed into the bin.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
So it seems that the potentially explosive items confiscated at LHR (yes they confiscate things over here, none of this voluntary surrender) are magically neutralized and no longer dangerous once dropped in that big bin, so they can be handed over to charity.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-21881133
Okay, I've been puzzling over this for a few days. The only logical explanation I can come up with is this: LHR security reviewed the last few months of TSA stupidity and decided they were falling behind. There must be some annual award for "Most boneheaded move in airport security" that we don't know about, and LHR felt threatened by Pre-check, the BDO program, the "sequestration=longer-lines" debacle, the abuse of handicapped 3-yr-olds, and the string of TSA staff arrested for various crimes.

Or SHOC have developed a fool-proof way of distinguishing actual shampoo and toothpaste from scary high-explosives, but won't share the technology with DoT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.