Wiki Posts
Search

topical meds in carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
topical meds in carry-on

I have a prescription topical medication that comes in small tubes. The tubes themselves are under the 3.5oz limit and I have traveled with them in my Kippie bag with no problem.

But this is going to be a long trip and the amount that I need far exceeds the baggie size. I need to take four boxes containing 30 tubes each.

Will I have a problem with TSA?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
It depends on the color of the sky, and whether or not the TSA agent is a self-proclaimed medicine man.

Lately, I haven't experienced any problems with topicals, but that used to be *very* different.
A few months ago, I was scolded for keeping my meds in a large, half gallon zip lock bag.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dimramon
It depends on the color of the sky, and whether or not the TSA agent is a self-proclaimed medicine man.

Lately, I haven't experienced any problems with topicals, but that used to be *very* different.
A few months ago, I was scolded for keeping my meds in a large, half gallon zip lock bag.
I'll get to experience sunny skies in TPA and probably grey skies in ORD (T5) so I guess I'll see which one works best.

I plan to pull them from the suitcase and put them in a bin, with the prescription label facing up. I'll do it early enough to re-group and check a bag if needed.

You never know with them....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by onelove
I'll get to experience sunny skies in TPA and probably grey skies in ORD (T5) so I guess I'll see which one works best.

I plan to pull them from the suitcase and put them in a bin, with the prescription label facing up. I'll do it early enough to re-group and check a bag if needed.

You never know with them....
Are you not checking in any bags at all? I only ask because you said it was a long trip. If so, can you pack some of them to cut down on the quantity you are carrying on? Even if your bag got lost for a time, you would have enough to tide you over.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onelove
I have a prescription topical medication that comes in small tubes. The tubes themselves are under the 3.5oz limit and I have traveled with them in my Kippie bag with no problem.

But this is going to be a long trip and the amount that I need far exceeds the baggie size. I need to take four boxes containing 30 tubes each.

Will I have a problem with TSA?
You never know when you will encounter a clerk with a medical degree who will interrogate you concerning how long you will be gone and how long is your flight. That will determine the medical diagnosis he or she will make concerning if you have too much medication with you. It's very likely that the medical-degreed TSA clerk will inform you that you have "too much" medicine and that he/she will relieve you of the quantity, in their medical judgment, you don't need. It's a credit to their profession that they offer this astute medical advice without charging you a co-pay.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Are you not checking in any bags at all? I only ask because you said it was a long trip. If so, can you pack some of them to cut down on the quantity you are carrying on? Even if your bag got lost for a time, you would have enough to tide you over.
I prefer not to check bags. I'm into traveling pretty light and can easily live for a couple months with just a carry on and my camera back-pack. My cameras, laptop and tablet are the bulk of my stuff. I'll be in SE Asia so I can get cheap clothes as I need them.

I'll just be sure to clear early enough that I can have time to go back and check a bag if necessary.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
You never know when you will encounter a clerk with a medical degree who will interrogate you concerning how long you will be gone and how long is your flight. That will determine the medical diagnosis he or she will make concerning if you have too much medication with you. It's very likely that the medical-degreed TSA clerk will inform you that you have "too much" medicine and that he/she will relieve you of the quantity, in their medical judgment, you don't need. It's a credit to their profession that they offer this astute medical advice without charging you a co-pay.
Ya gotta love the free medical exams at the airport. I always turn my head and cough when I get gate-raped. Customs is even better. You can get x-rays and a colonoscopy for both you and your mule.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:26 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Ask him/her to submit the questions about your medical condition in writing so you can use that to sue them for violating HIPPAA regulations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.