Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more checkpoint at LAX entrance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:43 am
Original Poster

No more checkpoint at LAX entrance?

I dropped off my wife Friday at 4am. I usually go through Century Blvd but this time my wife directed me through the "back way" from Sepulvida and up the ramp at 96th/Skyway which drops you off right at T1.

For the first time since I can remember I didn't see a checkpoint coming into LAX. I thought maybe it was because I went through the back way but when I drove out back to the freeway, I looked and didn't see anything at the Century Blvd main entrance either.

Did they get rid of the checkpoint?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by raybider
I dropped off my wife Friday at 4am. I usually go through Century Blvd but this time my wife directed me through the "back way" from Sepulvida and up the ramp at 96th/Skyway which drops you off right at T1.

For the first time since I can remember I didn't see a checkpoint coming into LAX. I thought maybe it was because I went through the back way but when I drove out back to the freeway, I looked and didn't see anything at the Century Blvd main entrance either.

Did they get rid of the checkpoint?
Probably just too early...after all, everyone knows tewwowists aren't morning people...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
They definitely still exist, they must not have been able to get enough officers in there on overtime/workfare pay to staff the checkpoint. Security theater at almost the same level the TSA is capable of.

If you wanted to drive a fertilizer bomb into the airport, there are always two or three other ways to get it in. Very rarely do all entries have staffed checkpoints, usually just the Century one...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
They definitely still exist, they must not have been able to get enough officers in there on overtime/workfare pay to staff the checkpoint. Security theater at almost the same level the TSA is capable of.

If you wanted to drive a fertilizer bomb into the airport, there are always two or three other ways to get it in. Very rarely do all entries have staffed checkpoints, usually just the Century one...
If that's the case then what's the point of the checkpoints at the entrance(s)?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by raybider
If that's the case then what's the point of the checkpoints at the entrance(s)?
Mainly a very long misheld idea that, because several of the planes hijacked on Sept 11 were headed for LA, that LAX was the 'target'. Never mind, of course, that the last thing the hijackers wanted to do was get anywhere near LA-those planes just were the biggest & had the most fuel on board leaving the East Coast first thing the in the morning.

But there continues to be, at least publicly, that claim when it comes to that checkpoint & the reason to continue funding for it.

Workfare to make the Kettle's feel safe sums it up best
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by txrus
Probably just too early...after all, everyone knows tewwowists aren't morning people...
That is true. Terrorist preferred moving in the late afternoon. Of course. Atta and the other 18 hijackers decided to wake up early and got the the airports are around 530am on 9/11/01
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:08 am

All those checkpoints and paranoia are expensive. Probably caught up with them.
Last time I was at LAX (which I can't stand) I've
never seen so many DHS and cops zipping around looking
for bad guys, but go look for help at an Information Desk and
no one is to be found. Oh yeah, did I mention I can't stand LAX?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txrus
Mainly a very long misheld idea that, because several of the planes hijacked on Sept 11 were headed for LA, that LAX was the 'target'.
Uh... source? You'd have to be a moron to think that LAX was the "target" given that three of the planes actually reached their terrorist-defined "target." Even crazy conspiracy theorists don't think that.

The drive-through checkpoints at LAX are due to the fact that a) LAX was, in fact, a target on New Year's Eve 1999/2000, and b) people are overly paranoid about large airports post-9/11. (See: BOS, JFK)

Absolutely nothing to do with any "misheld idea" that the 9/11 planes somehow all missed their turns and flew to NYC instead of their scheduled final destination of LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.