Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Wall Street Journal: Baby bottles shut Newark (EWR) airport checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Another incident at the airport that really needs its own TS&S subforum:

The Wall Street Journal:
Baby bottles shut Newark airport checkpoint

Updated January 25, 2013, 2:12 p.m. ET

A short quote:
A couple and their toddler had already gone through the checkpoint when security officials determined that equipment that screens liquids had malfunctioned and the baby bottles hadn't been properly screened.

The family was located and brought back to the checkpoint to have the bottles and their luggage re-screened.

The checkpoint was closed for approximately 30 minutes.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:20 pm

One does not know what to say anymore.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
And as always, it was much ado about nothing.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: United
And since this is all just security theater, why does it matter if the equipment wasn't working?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
The bottles were artfully concealed!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And the Secret Service wrestled the bottles of baby formula to the ground...

I give up with EWR (he says as he's waiting for his redeye flight LAX-EWR )
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by goalie

But at least you're arriving at EWR, where your chances of having to interact with TSA are greatly diminished.

If you choose to depart from there on your return, that's your fault
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Loved this quote from the Taking Sense Away blog writer.

Newark is like the little ....... problem child airport-within-the-problem-child-agency that is the TSA, an ongoing sentiment I’ve heard from screeners across the nation.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Never having traveled with a baby, I am wondering this:

Exactly what "equipment" is used to "screen" baby formula and other medically necessary liquids? Is it chemical? Radiological? Ultrasonic? Does the container have to be opened, exposing the liquid contents to potential contamination or exposure to unsterile conditions at the c/p?

This would naturally be a matter of grave concern to anyone traveling with liquids that will later be consumed by someone.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Never having traveled with a baby, I am wondering this:

Exactly what "equipment" is used to "screen" baby formula and other medically necessary liquids? Is it chemical? Radiological? Ultrasonic? Does the container have to be opened, exposing the liquid contents to potential contamination or exposure to unsterile conditions at the c/p?

This would naturally be a matter of grave concern to anyone traveling with liquids that will later be consumed by someone.
I've travelled with a friend with an infant. On that occasion, at that airport (LAX), at that checkpoint (T6, IIRC), each container had to be opened and a test strip was waved over it.

The sequence of events as reported doesn't make sense.

For example: a screener doesn't rub me all over, take off the gloves, tell me 'you can go' and then process his gloves for ETD, because if the test does come back positive, duh, I'm long gone.

The article specifically mentions equipment malfunction, not that the pax were told 'step over here and wait for an assist to test your baby drinks', while someone took the suspicious fluids and someone else watched to make sure pax didn't leave the area before the fluids were cleared.

I can't envision a scenario (except stupidity and carelessness all around) that makes sense.

A TSO tests the liquids, says 'you are good to go', mentions the test to another TSO who says 'hey, that machine is out of order?'

Or a TSO tests the liquids, says 'you are good to go', mentions the test to another TSO who says 'hey, you did the test wrong?'

And the roving (or standing gaping at the podium) LTSO's and STSO's were...where? doing ...what? while this was going on?

Last edited by chollie; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I've travelled with a friend with an infant. On that occasion, at that airport (LAX), at that checkpoint (T6, IIRC), each container had to be opened and a test strip was waved over it.
The infant formula is opened and tested underneath a sneeze guard or SOMEthing to minimize airborne contamination I wish/hope especially during an especially virulent flu season! Clean gloves donned for the test without prompting at the very least?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chollie

The sequence of events as reported doesn't make sense.

For example: a screener doesn't rub me all over, take off the gloves, tell me 'you can go' and then process his gloves for ETD, because if the test does come back positive, duh, I'm long gone.

The article specifically mentions equipment malfunction, not that the pax were told 'step over here and wait for an assist to test your baby drinks', while someone took the suspicious fluids and someone else watched to make sure pax didn't leave the area before the fluids were cleared.

I can't envision a scenario (except stupidity and carelessness all around) that makes sense.

A TSO tests the liquids, says 'you are good to go', mentions the test to another TSO who says 'hey, that machine is out of order?'

Or a TSO tests the liquids, says 'you are good to go', mentions the test to another TSO who says 'hey, you did the test wrong?'

And the roving (or standing gaping at the podium) LTSO's and STSO's were...where? doing ...what? while this was going on?
We just traveled the other week with a young grandchild and a bottle of Benadryl (for allergic reactions). At the outbound check point the TSA took it out of sight to do their testing () but on the return the TSA had Mrs. Fredd open the bottle and they waved their test strip over it.

As you say, the baby-bottle scenario seems odd.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by loops
The infant formula is opened and tested underneath a sneeze guard or SOMEthing to minimize airborne contamination I wish/hope especially during an especially virulent flu season! Clean gloves donned for the test without prompting at the very least?
No clean gloves. Told it wasn't required or necessary because nothing would actually touch the liquids.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tkey75

But at least you're arriving at EWR, where your chances of having to interact with TSA are greatly diminished.

If you choose to depart from there on your return, that's your fault
I arrived 35 minutes early so I went out for a smoke do I did have an "interaction" but having Precheck makes it a walk in the park
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I arrived 35 minutes early so I went out for a smoke do I did have an "interaction" but having Precheck makes it a walk in the park
A walk in the park beats a grope and a bark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.