Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA mass shooting training

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
When the dust settles, and the final commission report is done, I'm awaiting Blogger Bob's spin on how the future shooter was a former/disgruntled TSA employee.

That's followed by Nappy going on TV saying, "the system worked," when actually it didn't.
That is a depressingly plausible scenario.

Originally Posted by chollie
I agree - TSOs are not LEOs, and they should not be - they are security/safety screeners.

Given the situation they are in, and the degree of control they exercise over movement around the airport, they should be trained to operate the same way teachers and staff are trained to act in a school emergency.
^^^

That, and the aforementioned need to cut the theatrics that cause mass queues.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA has increased the risk of passengers becoming victims of mass shootings or explosions, as the TSA has made the lines/bottlenecks what they are: a higher density target.

This training is a TSA insult to passengers in an environment where the TSA is increasing the risk passengers face from a homicidal maniac.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The TSA has increased the risk of passengers becoming victims of mass shootings or explosions, as the TSA has made the lines/bottlenecks what they are: a higher density target.

This training is a TSA insult to passengers in an environment where the TSA is increasing the risk passengers face from a homicidal maniac.
Very true. I think about this whenever I am stuck in the meandering Disney World type line leading to the CP. There are not just a plane full of people there, there are multiple planes full of people there.

There is something super scary about falling out of the sky, though. That is why we get super scared about it. Unrealistic and illogical type scared. It's sort of like Zombies. We know it won't happen. Well, we really hope it won't happen. Yet, when we go to the gun range they have targets with Zombies. Got to practice shooting them in the head. One shot per Zombie because we know from the movies that we will run out of ammo before we run out of Zombies to shoot in the head.

The TSA is like that. They are waiting for the "Zombies," but they never show up. It's just us wanting to fly somewhere and not have to go through one of Dante's seven rings to get there.

But, if an evil terrorist ever does show up, they will know what he looks like. They saw it on Fox news.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:51 am

Just think of how easy it would be for the predator wanting to do harm. TSA clerks routinely take bad position at the checkpoint. They're easily distracted by decoys, say exploiting their tunnel vision with respect to object oriented security. In plain terms, perp sends through a knife or other weapon, they call all their supervisors and the checkpoint LEOs into one centralized position near the X-ray, they all take bad position and the predator exploits his sitting duck targets.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Do Not Fly: the Feds May Be Planning a Massacre at Checkpoint Lines

If it happens, can we say "I told you so" ?

Becky Akers:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/131365.html
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Just think of how easy it would be for the predator wanting to do harm. TSA clerks routinely take bad position at the checkpoint. They're easily distracted by decoys, say exploiting their tunnel vision with respect to object oriented security. In plain terms, perp sends through a knife or other weapon, they call all their supervisors and the checkpoint LEOs into one centralized position near the X-ray, they all take bad position and the predator exploits his sitting duck targets.
Of course that's the same argument that the powers-that-be are making (and the judge seems to be buying) in the Mocek civil case.

"Distracting" the TSA is synonymous with "creating a disturbance."
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The timing of the training at the same time as the discussions about gun laws is very strange.

Ten + years, and the agency is just getting concerned about a checkpoint scenario?

As Fredd pointed out, the dangers of a distraction were already used to go after anyone who raises any kind of question, no matter how politely, at the checkoint. (Phil Mocek, also the mother who didn't want her girl strip-searched, others).

People who know security have said for years that the huge backups at the perpetually under-operated checkpoints are a potential threat. (I say 'under-operated' because I've never seen all scanners and belts open and operating at the same time. Other than LHR, I have never seen lines and congestion like I routinely see in the US anywhere else. And everywhere else, I usually see a fraction of the manpower, all of whom actually seem to be usefully occupied).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
The timing of the training at the same time as the discussions about gun laws is very strange.

Ten + years, and the agency is just getting concerned about a checkpoint scenario?

As Fredd pointed out, the dangers of a distraction were already used to go after anyone who raises any kind of question, no matter how politely, at the checkoint. (Phil Mocek, also the mother who didn't want her girl strip-searched, others).

People who know security have said for years that the huge backups at the perpetually under-operated checkpoints are a potential threat. (I say 'under-operated' because I've never seen all scanners and belts open and operating at the same time. Other than LHR, I have never seen lines and congestion like I routinely see in the US anywhere else. And everywhere else, I usually see a fraction of the manpower, all of whom actually seem to be usefully occupied).
"Under-operated" is the perfect term, as they're typically over-staffed, sometimes having clerks walk the terminal in pairs or do meaningless gate searches and ID checks.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
The thing that I find puzzling is the huge disconnect between what they (as an organization) say they are there for and the operations on the ground. It's as if the people running the DHS/TSA have never actually seen TSA in action. That is to say, chronic mis-selection in staff, poor and mis-directed training, poor operational procedures, standards, and goals, improper supervision, etc., etc. The list just goes on and on.

It's like a case study in how not to do something and they're trying to tick as many boxes as possible for "Fail".
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
"Under-operated" is the perfect term, as they're typically over-staffed, sometimes having clerks walk the terminal in pairs or do meaningless gate searches and ID checks.
They travel in "pairs" so they have a better chance of finding their way back to the Checkpoint.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
The thing that I find puzzling is the huge disconnect between what they (as an organization) say they are there for and the operations on the ground. It's as if the people running the DHS/TSA have never actually seen TSA in action. That is to say, chronic mis-selection in staff, poor and mis-directed training, poor operational procedures, standards, and goals, improper supervision, etc., etc. The list just goes on and on.

It's like a case study in how not to do something and they're trying to tick as many boxes as possible for "Fail".
There is no disconnect.

They know what is going on, they don't care. Any real threat will be caught by intel before the airport, or the pax on the plane will handle it. All the rest is to perpetuate bureaucracy and line pockets with $.

When Ike warned of the threat of the military-industrial complex, he didn't anticipate that it would become the military-security-industrial complex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.