Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Urgent: 50kg of flour in checked luggage (Thoughts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

We ended up with 50kg of special Italian flour in London and would like to bring it back in our checked luggage to the U.S. Any thoughts on how to pack it, what to expect from security/likely hood of making it through ect. Our flight leaves early next week out of Heathrow on British Airways.

Completely nutty idea but it would be very cool if it works...

Any input will be much appreciated.

Zander
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:32 pm

Sounds like a half baked idea to me.

/sorry
//I'll go to my room now
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't know if it is possible, but perhaps at checkin you could explain your concerns to the TA and see if security can be asked to come up and clear your bag on the spot (same kind of procedure, more or less, that gets used in the US to clear firearms in checked bags).

My only concern (and it may not be valid in the UK) would be security opening the bag to 'test' it and then not securing it properly afterwards.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I brought a big bag of pancake mix from the US to Japan once. It ended up in my carry-on rollaboard because there was no more space/free weight in my checked suitcase. The TSA opened the rollaboard at security, looked at the bag, noted that it was sealed, and waved me through.

I don't think you would have any problems, except potentially at agricultural inspection when you enter the US -- they might worry about whether the flour has bugs in it or something like that, though frankly they never seem to care that much so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
50 lbs. will cause significant concerns as a law enforcement concern. Give yourself plenty of time at the airport. Also, expect a thorough exam by CBP upon arrival. Ag. shouldn't be a major issue.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
50 lbs. will cause significant concerns as a law enforcement concern. Give yourself plenty of time at the airport. Also, expect a thorough exam by CBP upon arrival. Ag. shouldn't be a major issue.
50 kg not pounds.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
can I please watch as you try to explain the 50 kg of white powder to the Customs officers ?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: CO
Well I say if they dont ask what you have you dont tell them. Why bring problems by telling anyone anything.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
can I please watch as you try to explain the 50 kg of white powder to the Customs officers ?
I think any customs officer should be able to tell the difference between flour and cocaine pretty quickly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:39 pm

You will need to divide it up into a couple bags as that is over 100 pounds and the US allows 50 pounds per bag before invoking overweight bag charges. The metric equivalent should apply meaning you either have 2 overweight bags or 3 bags within the weight limit. This is assuming you don't have status that grants additional weight before a fee is charged.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will it be allowed into the US??
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Flour is on the list of generally admissible items into the US.

110 lbs of it is a bit crazy, you may have a hard time convincing them (customs) it's for personal use.

No telling what security will do to it to test it to see if it's flour or not, and honestly, I'm not really sure I would want to cook with it once they are done with it.

I would very seriously consider shipping it, but that's of course going to cost a fortune.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by gj83
You will need to divide it up into a couple bags as that is over 100 pounds and the US allows 50 pounds per bag before invoking overweight bag charges. The metric equivalent should apply meaning you either have 2 overweight bags or 3 bags within the weight limit. This is assuming you don't have status that grants additional weight before a fee is charged.
To clarify, the flour is packed in two 25kg(55lbs). And to stay under the British Airlines weight limit we plan to remove 3kg from each bag. I would think dividing it further would raise suspicion.
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Should be a tough one...I'm going to call Heathrow today but I doubt they will give a definitive answer.
Originally Posted by cordelli
Flour is on the list of generally admissible items into the US. 110 lbs of it is a bit crazy, you may have a hard time convincing them (customs) it's for personal use. No telling what security will do to it to test it to see if it's flour or not, and honestly, I'm not really sure I would want to cook with it once they are done with it.
Also how they will repack two large bags of flour after running tests. We've considered packing large plastic bags and tape with a note explaining how to reseal it without making a big mess.

Clearly a long shot but we still have a few days to decide.
Thank you for all of your replies,

-Zander
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by ZanderSpice
To clarify, the flour is packed in two 25kg(55lbs). And to stay under the British Airlines weight limit we plan to remove 3kg from each bag.
I suggest that to minimize suspicion, you keep the bags sealed at their original listed weight and pay whatever surcharge is required to check them. You may save money by taking 3kg out but you will definitely increase the odds of getting your flour ripped open and tested by customs people.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:27 am

Well within your rights.
But do you really want to be the most hassled passenger ever?
Seriously. Ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.