FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA's New Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1420438-tsas-new-program.html)

Andy Big Bear Feb 5, 2013 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 20190430)
http://www2.tbo.com/news/travel/2013...-mi-ar-625804/

Whaddaya know? Managed Inclusion was a rousing success at Tampa and will now be expanded nationwide.

TSA mind-readers and dogs successfully identified passengers who were not hiding bombs in their shoes.

Who would have seen that coming?

The TSA layers of security are the gold standard for security world wide and the enemy of terrorists. They are building a security force of extraordinary magnitude. They forge their tradition in the spirit of the first responders of 9/11. They have our gratitude.

Boggie Dog Feb 5, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear (Post 20191960)
The TSA layers of security are the gold standard for security world wide and the enemy of terrorists. They are building a security force of extraordinary magnitude. They forge their tradition in the spirit of the first responders of 9/11. They have our gratitude.

Sarcasm? I sure hope so!

Ari Feb 5, 2013 5:31 pm

Great. Just what PreCheck needs, longer lines.

GUWonder Feb 5, 2013 5:54 pm

"Managed inclusion" comes with US airline majors making a TSA surrender monkey act so as to do things that the TSA cannot do, like trying to force FFP account name info to align with all ID name info used by passengers (even when different ID are not an "exact" "match" with other ID where all the ID is legally valid)?

saulblum Feb 5, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 20192351)

Boo hoo, the <1% of passengers who use PreCheck lines now will just have to share them with the unwashed masses.

Cry me a river.

The PreCheck experience (minus the liquid restrictions) should be the default for all passengers.

CDKing Feb 5, 2013 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 20192351)

Longer lines are the least of your worries. Sooner or later the standard scope and grope will be the pre-check screening.

GUWonder Feb 5, 2013 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 20192455)
Boo hoo, the <1% of passengers who use PreCheck lines now will just have to share them with the unwashed masses.

Cry me a river.

The PreCheck experience (minus the liquid restrictions) should be the default for all passengers.

I don't think PreCheck needs longer lines, rather I think PreCheck lines need to be eliminated. I do think that the type of screening that comes with PreCheck LLL outcomes indeed ought to be the default practice for passengers.

[Same goes for Global Entry, enrollment and use of which also ought to be a free right to all US citizens with a valid US passport.]

I've been pretty consistent in criticizing this DHS "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than other animals" practice that DHS has been using against ordinary US passengers at airports (sometimes even at airports outside of the US).

N965VJ Feb 6, 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 20090296)
My letter will be in tomorrow's NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/op...screening.html

^

http://www2.tbo.com/news/travel/2013...-mi-ar-625804/

Whaddaya know? Managed Inclusion was a rousing success at Tampa and will now be expanded nationwide.

/yawn

So what. My belt is already in my rollaboard before I get to the Trained Document Checker, my laptop is in a butterfly sleeve, and TSA employees have stopped caring if I don't bother to take out my Kippie bag a long time ago.

So the only upside to submitting to a Behavior Detection voodoo practitioner's interrogation is I get to leave my shoes on as I walk through the metal detector? Well, only if I'm not randomly de-selected because the moon is in the wrong phase, or it's the second Wednesday of the month, or...

Sorry, TSA, I think I'll just opt out of your Nude-O-Scopes every chance I get so my fellow travelers can watch your employees put their hands down the inside of my pants. Too bad if I'm using up your resources. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/2ee3b212.jpg

Wrong. Everyone, including airline and TSA employees, should go through the same screening to enter the sterile area. X-ray of belongings, walk-through / hand-held metal detector, and explosive trace detection / explosive trace portal. Nothing more, nothing less.

Great, the TPA FSD thinks I'm an EvilDoer that should receive shoddy treatment by the employees under his control. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess Langley and Jimmy were landside watering a fire hydrant because they were nowhere in sight when I was in TPA the other day.

Wow, Gary Milnao is not only the FSD in TPA, he also has the credentials to supersede the National Academy of Sciences. Must have a heckuva resume. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear (Post 20191960)

Well said, Comrade. Please report to the People's Ministry of Feeling Safe for your Freedom Badge. :p

saulblum Feb 6, 2013 10:56 am

It's also worth pointing out -- and of course no reporter mentioned it because their direct feed from the TSA's mouth to their "news" piece didn't include it -- is that with neither PreCheck or Managed Inclusion (what an awful name) can you show up later to the airport. You still have to show up early enough to account for being unlucky that day.

So what's the grand benefit of passing muster of the dog and the mind-reader?

Yep, leaving your shoes on and your laptop in your bag. Whooopeeeeeee!

Notice also how as far as I know, even though it might be practice right now, no one has ever said that PreCheck lines will remain AIT-free.

cbn42 Feb 6, 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 20196768)
Notice also how as far as I know, even though it might be practice right now, no one has ever said that PreCheck lines will remain AIT-free.

As I understand it, AIT cannot handle coats/jackets, so if they introduce AIT in Precheck lines they will have to make you remove outerwear, making the whole thing meaningless.

slh14 Feb 6, 2013 11:25 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong. So the way this goes is that you're standing in line and if the BDO selects you, you get to go to the Pre Check line. So now the BDO is looking for "good" people instead of "bad" people?

If that is correct, what exactly do you have to do in order to get the BDO to select you? Smile and bat your eyes? Hold up some cash?

Schmurrr Feb 6, 2013 11:37 am

The article says, "Federal officers testing a program at Tampa International Airport that selects passengers based on their behavior to use a speedier security lane may expand the program..."

Why can't a program like this be implemented with an "innocent until proven guilty" mindset? That is, let everybody use the speedier security lane by default and select only the "suspicious" ones for the full laptops-out, shoes-off, nude-o-scope, and grope procedure. (Not that I approve of the latter!)

Starting with a "guilty until proven innocent" mindset is not sustainable. If a minority of travelers are selected for the speedier screening, and the selection criteria are not evident, TSA is only going to get complaints about injustice (at best) and lawsuits about profiling (at worst). TSA's credibility in the eyes of the majority of innocent travelers will continue to fall.

N965VJ Feb 6, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by slh14 (Post 20196968)
If that is correct, what exactly do you have to do in order to get the BDO to select you?

Here's your sign :p :

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...6d3423-1-1.jpg

saulblum Feb 6, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by slh14 (Post 20196968)
Please correct me if I'm wrong. So the way this goes is that you're standing in line and if the BDO selects you, you get to go to the Pre Check line. So now the BDO is looking for "good" people instead of "bad" people?

If that is correct, what exactly do you have to do in order to get the BDO to select you? Smile and bat your eyes? Hold up some cash?

You got it! If you pass the dog-sniff test and the BDO doesn't detect any malicious micro-expressions (which may or may not involve a "casual" conversation) and the magic randomizer mat doesn't light up, you win the jackpot.

Of course, as the media reports it: "Expedited screening coming to TPA!"

saulblum Feb 6, 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Schmurrr (Post 20197064)
Why can't a program like this be implemented with an "innocent until proven guilty" mindset? That is, let everybody use the speedier security lane by default and select only the "suspicious" ones for the full laptops-out, shoes-off, nude-o-scope, and grope procedure.

Because that would be an admission that nearly every checkpoint procedure added over the past decade was all for show. And an admission that 9/11/01 was not really a checkpoint failure. But that's the whole premise on which TSA checkpoints operate -- "we can't revert to 9/11/01 checkpoint, they failed miserably".

And it would be a slap in the face to anyone who paid the $100 for Global Entry and underwent the background check and interview just to use PreCheck.

Once you start a lie, you can't just dismantle it so easily. You need to build and build on top of it.