Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Is there any benefit for having a passport card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any benefit for having a passport card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If doesn’t work as well as a passport with LEOs in some countries. Just some while back went through this with a couple of Italian police who asked some members of my party for ID and refused to accept anything but the passports. They accepted the photocopy of the passports of those who spoke American English but refused to accept the same of those who spoke Spanish and had accented English as a second language of the sort that isn’t so rare in parts of Mexico.
Thanks that is good to know as we are visiting Italy later this year - and I gather it was a paper photocopy as opposed to the passport photo that I keep on my phone?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Passport Card doesn't have an address on it, a benefit for domestic travel.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
As a purely practical matter Schengen agents don't seem to scrutinize US passports very hard. While I'm sure they have their watchlists to compare against airline manifests, even the time I flew into Schengen on a one way ticket no one raised any eyebrow or asked any questions (nevertheless I don't recommend doing that)

Yet I have heard so many problems of US passports entering the UK getting grilled on their intent to immigrate, seek work, or claim public benefits...
Unfortunately the AMS agents scriutinized mine sufficient to determine that it was expired! I will address this experience in more detail in another thread, but would simply note here that I was eventually admitted with a valid US passport card. But this was done as a special exception after a call to the US embassy and completely at discretion of Dutch border control management.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Unfortunately the AMS agents scriutinized mine sufficient to determine that it was expired! I will address this experience in more detail in another thread, but would simply note here that I was eventually admitted with a valid US passport card. But this was done as a special exception after a call to the US embassy and completely at discretion of Dutch border control management.
The electronic/machine scan of the passport at AMS passport control would note that the passport is expired. I don’t know if that generates an automatic audit trail when an expired non-EU+ passport comes up there, but the national checks there cover more than the checks at most other airports I use to enter the Schengen area.

Between your recently expired US passport, a valid US passport card (which they likely had never handled before except perhaps when suspecting a fraudulent document use), and the pretty timely help of the consulate/embassy, the Dutch passport control probably felt it wasn’t worthwhile to have you stuck in a holding facility waiting for days on end for the consular representative to come around to get your details, come back with a replacement document and then only to see you get cleared in or sent back while messing up the family vacation. They could have done it, but they decided not to do so.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewguy
So it sounds like it confers a benefit on someone whose international travel occurs primarily on cruise ships, allowing them to leave a passport at home and carry only the card.
does not work on cruise ships only border countries. Can use if loose/stolen passport coming from Europe. If your state does not have the new id, can use it

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: Fix BB code
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RexMundi
If your state does not have the new id, can use it
correct. Also they are also quite handy if you have minor children traveling alone. My 15yr old was recently asked for ID when checking bags with WN. Also suffices for TSA though generally they don’t require children to show ID.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:54 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
does not work on cruise ships only border countries. Can use if loose/stolen passport coming from Europe. If your state does not have the new id, can use it
It works on cruise ships if you are only going to, from, and through places that accept it (state.gov site), so not Europe. All the websites say that it's still a good idea to bring a passport book if you have it though.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bpe
It works on cruise ships if you are only going to, from, and through places that accept it (state.gov site), so not Europe. All the websites say that it's still a good idea to bring a passport book if you have it though.
Per US Customs, it only works coming from Bermuda, Mexico and Canada, NOT, Europe, etc ONLY BORDER COUNTRIES. No for air travel.

Last edited by RexMundi; Jul 19, 2022 at 5:21 am Reason: CORRECTION
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:33 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Per US Customs, it only works coming from Bermuda, Mexico and Canada, NOT Disney, Caribbean, Europe, etc ONLY BORDER COUNTRIES.
Did you read the state.gov page? The CBP (US Customs) website says the same thing.

You can use the passport card to reenter the United States at sea ports of entry from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. However, if you are not able to return on the cruise ship for any reason (e.g., for an emergency evacuation, you will need a passport book to fly back to the United States.
It actually doesn't explicitly say that you cannot use it from Europe, but you need a passport book to get into Europe so it's not enough by itself to travel. No word on Disney either.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bpe
Did you read the state.gov page? The CBP (US Customs) website says the same thing.
But you need a real passport to enter Caribbean countries other than Bermuda. And cruise ships: A valid passport is required for all international itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, Panama Canal (partial and full transit), Caribbean voyages that visit Martinique or Guadeloupe, South Pacific, Tahiti and World Cruises. Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico),

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2022 at 9:20 am Reason: Fix BB code
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The above statement is not entirely correct.

Passport card vs. passport book: What documents do I need to cruise?

You can use a passport card as legitimate identification on your cruise if you’re sailing exclusively to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or Caribbean countries. As you’ll be re-entering the U.S. through a seaport, the customs and immigration officials at the port will recognize your passport card as a valid travel document.

What's the Difference Between a Passport Book and Card?

The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. You cannot use a passport card on cruises from international homeports. (These rules do not apply to cruises roundtrip from San Juan, Puerto Rico, as the island is a U.S. territory; a government-issued photo ID and copy of your birth certificate would suffice.)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:27 am
Suspended

The US passport card does work on some international boat trips.

Airlines in Europe generally refuse to accept US passport cards to fly to the US even if the passport (book) is lost/stolen, so it generally cannot be used when coming from Europe. If a US citizen/national somehow arrives at the US port of entry without a US passport, then a passport card may be accepted as proof of identity and citizenship in much the same way as my regular old US state driving license could or even just reciting my passport number, SSN and name can.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:37 am
Suspended

The US passport card does work on some international boat trips.

Airlines in Europe generally refuse to accept US passport cards to fly to the US even if the passport (book) is lost/stolen, so it generally cannot be used when coming from Europe. If a US citizen/national somehow arrives at the US port of entry without a US passport, then a passport card may be accepted as proof of identity and citizenship in much the same way as my regular old US state driving license could or even just reciting my passport number, SSN and name can.
GU I used it on Paris to ATL as passport stolen. But had receipt from embassy that my passport was stolen - otherwise you are correct; but my comment was use in an emergency
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:43 am
Suspended

GU I used it on Paris to ATL as passport stolen. But had receipt from embassy that my passport was stolen - otherwise you are correct; but my comment was use in an emergency
You used the passport card to fly to the US, or did you really use a US embassy-issued emergency waiver notice that said your identity for travel to the US could be verified by whatever document type the consular personnel said they would allow the airline to accept?

I am pretty sure that at CDG still it would be the embassy-issued waiver/passport-replacing document and not the passport card that allowed the airline to board a passenger in such circumstances.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:52 am
Suspended

You used the passport card to fly to the US, or did you really use a US embassy-issued emergency waiver notice that said your identity for travel to the US could be verified by whatever document type the consular personnel said they would allow the airline to accept?

I am pretty sure that at CDG still it would be the embassy-issued waiver/passport-replacing document and not the passport card that allowed the airline to board a passenger in such circumstances.
GU read my note: I used the passport card and a receipt signed by the concierge of the Ritz who reported the loss to the embassy. Will admit, probably helped that I am diamond and 4 million mile Delta and fly that route 2 - 3 times a month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.