Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Is there any benefit for having a passport card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any benefit for having a passport card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use it at airports for domestic travel. No address on the PPC like most other forms of ID have.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:01 pm

I went ahead and got it with my passport to have a second federally recognized ID. The fact that it doesn't list my address is a bonus.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Definitely get it. It's a small price to pay for an official photo ID without your home address.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Ditto the other comments. They came out just after we renewed our passports. Of course I use my GE card now.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:22 pm

I got one when I had the chance. I use it with the TSA for the reason folks have given. Also I use it when I ride my bike. I carry it and a credit card (and my health insurance card), and my theory is that if I lose it it's no where near as a PITA as losing my license would be.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I got one when I had the chance. I use it with the TSA for the reason folks have given. Also I use it when I ride my bike. I carry it and a credit card (and my health insurance card), and my theory is that if I lose it it's no where near as a PITA as losing my license would be.
Losing a US passport card is more of a hassle for me than losing a Global Entry or driving license card. A lost passport card can result in some of the same hassles that a lost passport can cause.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:56 pm

Besides not having a home address, passport card is a document that confirms identity and citizenship. It can be very handy when one needs to prove US citizenship for US consulates abroad (e.g., in case of a lost passport book, etc). It is totally worth $30 for 10 years in my opinion.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
The Passport card is also good for the Readi-lanes at US land borders. That could save some time. I'm considering this for the family members who do't really travel enough to do the whole app/interview process for GE or NEXUS. That would make cross-border travel easier when we travel together.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Is it possible to get a Passport Card if my passport is not expiring any time soon?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by König
Besides not having a home address, passport card is a document that confirms identity and citizenship. It can be very handy when one needs to prove US citizenship for US consulates abroad (e.g., in case of a lost passport book, etc). It is totally worth $30 for 10 years in my opinion.
In case of a lost passport book, at most US embassies/consulates, someone can look up enough information to confirm identity and citizenship of a US national who has lost an unexpired US passport for a US citizen without relying upon the US citizen presenting any physical ID at the US embassy/consulate.

The US passport card is not as widely accepted as a US passport in terms of proof of identity and citizenship/nationality, as the US pretty much set it up that way. But often enough it is indeed some use.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Is it possible to get a Passport Card if my passport is not expiring any time soon?
Yes.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...Yes.
Do I need to renew the passport as well?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Do I need to renew the passport as well?
Only if you wish to do so.

Some people do get the passport card issued without the passport being renewed.

Adults who already have a passport book may apply for the card at a reduced price.

For more information about passport cards and how to apply, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
http://travel.state.gov/content/stud...ort-cards.html
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Only if you wish to do so.

Some people do get the passport card issued without the passport being renewed.

http://travel.state.gov/content/stud...ort-cards.html
Thanks. I was finally able to get the renewal PDF form, and I see where you can request the passport card only. However, since you must send in the passport book, I would love to see a statement to the effect that the original passport book will be sent back along with the card.

I suppose this note on the renewal form implies that that is the case:

NOTE: You may receive your newly issued document and your returned citizenship evidence in separate mailings.

I would assume that the new passport card would have an expiration date that matches the passport book's expiration date.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:46 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I applied for a passport card about 1 1/2 years ago, nowhere near my passport book expiry. I don't remember the exact times and of course they could be different now, but I think I received my passport book back about 2 weeks after mailing it in and the passport card another 2 or 3 weeks after that. It has a 10 year expiry independent of the passport book.

As well as being a form of ID that doesn't have your address, I find that it looks official enough to pass for ID abroad (well, it is official federally-issued ID), even when you are in countries where you technically are supposed to carry your passport book with you at all times.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:16 am

I got mine with an expired passport. The expired passport was punched and returned to me.

I am finding some people are not happy when presented with a PPC for ID - they want to see a DL, which I refuse to provide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.