Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Really?

So when this is listed as a secondary ID for a real ID to renew a license, they are what, just making it up?

SECONDARY document list
Out of State US photo driver license
US Territory or Canadian photo driver license
Out of State US or Canadian issued photo learner permit
Connecticut issued non-driver identification card, driver license
or learner permit

(Your driver license or ID may be required to be surrendered)

I may be mistaken, but I'm almost certain that in the part I highlighted in Red you can in fact use a driver license as a secondary ID. Or an ID card, or a learner permit.

In Florida, you don't even need a secondary ID, just a primary one, so I'm not really sure why that is even part of the discussion.

Try again.
Respectfully, you are quoting information for Connecticut, I am quoting information from an article regarding Florida renewals. Shouldn't this process be uniform among the states? According to the information I have seen, the expiring primary ID (in Florida) is not listed as an acceptable ID, there must be OTHER acceptable forms of ID in lieu. I truly hope I am mistaken as this doesn't make any sense! I am hearing anecdotal evidence of persons turned away from renewing ID's and driver's licenses for lack of just one single piece of the collection of newly required documents, the existence of an expiring ID non-withstanding. There is conflicting information available and a variety of real life experiences from "No problems here" to "I can't believe how problematic the process has become". It is not surprising to me that there is confusion and frustration abounding. YMMV

Documentation now required under The REAL ID Act as proof of identity include a state-issued (not hospital) birth certificate, valid passport, naturalization document, or consular proof of birth abroad. All documents must be original or certified from the source. Non-U.S. residents must provide proof of status within the country.

For proof of a Social Security number, an original Social Security card, W-2 or 1099 form, or recent paycheck can be provided.

For proof of home address, two documents indicating the address, including a mortgage deed, utility bill, voter registration card, insurance card, W-2 or 1099 form, or bank statement can be provided.

For proof of legal name change, an original or certified copy of a marriage certificate (not church issued) or court order showing name change can be provided.

Without exception, all qualifying documents must be presented to renew or obtain a driver license or state identification card. Under limited circumstances, a temporary permit can be issued while gathering required documents.

Supporters of The REAL ID Act claim that the new documentation requirements add security to driver license and state identification holders as they will not be able to board an aircraft or enter federal buildings without a Real ID-compliant license or identification card starting in 2014.

Critics of The REAL ID Act claim the new law will weaken security of personal information by placing it in a national data base subject to access nationwide.

While The REAL ID Act of 2005 is currently the law in Florida and a dozen other states, opposition is building in Congress to repeal it. Although in the minority as approximately 37 states have prohibited implementation of the new law, compliance is now a must here in the Sunshine state.

Last edited by loops; Nov 27, 2012 at 5:33 am Reason: Adding the list of Florida ID's deleted from this post last night...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As I stated previously, Florida does not require a secondary ID to get a real ID complaint license. Since they don't require a secondary ID, only a primary one, you don't need to show a license. In other states, you need either two primary ID's or a Primary and a secondary one.

And while you may have been quoting Florida, you quoted me and said
The list of acceptable id's to renew a driver's license does not include the driver's license or state issued id that is expiring
Which was clearly not true. It may be true for you, but then you should not have quoted me.

I was pretty clear in saying when I got MY Real ID that was what I used, I never said it was the same across the entire country.

There's a set of standards that all states have to meet. It's totally up to the states as to how they want to enforce those standards, and what is necessary for people to have or not to have to meet those standards.

States, and the people living in them, have had seven years to figure this out. If people don't believe the law will take effect, they may be in for a bit of a shock if it does in a few weeks. It's a bit silly for people to just start going nuts because they now only have a few weeks left.

Last edited by cordelli; Nov 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Well, what if they look at my NEXUS and ask if I have a DL and all I have is not ReadID compliant?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

As I stated previously, Florida does not require a secondary ID to get a real ID complaint license. Since they don't require a secondary ID, only a primary one, you don't need to show a license. In other states, you need either two primary ID's or a Primary and a secondary one.

And while you may have been quoting Florida, you quoted me and said

Which was clearly not true. It may be true for you, but then you should not have quoted me.

I was pretty clear in saying when I got MY Real ID that was what I used, I never said it was the same across the entire country.

There's a set of standards that all states have to meet. It's totally up to the states as to how they want to enforce those standards, and what is necessary for people to have or not to have to meet those standards.

States, and the people living in them, have had seven years to figure this out. If people don't believe the law will take effect, they may be in for a bit of a shock if it does in a few weeks. It's a bit silly for people to just start going nuts because they now only have a few weeks left.
Florida may not require a secondary ID now, but the primary ID requirement does not seem to include what most people may have already been using for primary ID for many years (current DL). I quoted you only to be sure I didn't misquote you and wonder why the rest of my original post was not quoted. Most people without an expectation of international travel don't see any need to have purchased a passport. Thankfully, everybody's driver's licenses will not expire simultaneously! (but they still could encounter difficulties at checkpoints until uniform systems are implemented for all?)

What is "true" for you is not necessarily "true" for everyone apparently. I am not attacking your truth, I am honestly perplexed as to why there should be so many different "truths" out there and how the He!! can we be expected to know everything we need to know?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Really... My original post has been edited of pertinent information... (like the original list of required documentation) WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT??? So who or what entity is editing these posts???
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loops
Really... My original post has been edited of pertinent information... (like the original list of required documentation) WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT??? So who or what entity is editing these posts???
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I love these threads where people say how impossible it is to get the stuff you need to get the ID.

I needed to show a passport or birth certificate, both of which I have (or one of several other primary documents)

I needed to show a secondary document, which since I was renewing my license, I used my current license, again something I already had. There were 15 other secondary choices

I needed to show my social security number, either with a card, or a W2 or 1099 issued within the last five years. Really, there are people out there who will be flying who can't produce either of those from the last five years if they currently don't have a social security card, something they can get for free by filling out a form?

I needed to verify my address by picking two things from a list of over a dozen items including postmarked mail I could mail to myself.

I think it took like five minutes to get all that stuff together, and another three to five minutes at renewal time for them to scan the envelopes and verify the SSN.

Most people can print out the list and collect the necessary documentation in a few minutes from stuff they already have.

The others can certainly get it without that much of a problem.
Did you ever think about the possibility that not everyone is in the same situation as you are? You may have had no problem, but others may be in a different situation. Yes, it is a minority of people that has problems, but it is still a legitimate issue.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:48 am

I can only notice that Florida requirements were a major hassle for my 84-year-old mother, who had to obtain a certified copy of her out-of-state birth certificate plus a certified copy of her out-of-state marriage license (to track her name change) plus a new social security card (she hasnt used a social security card since 1950).

Costly? No. (Well, relatively 'no' - less than $100; however $100 is a lot of money for some folks.) Aggravating and time consuming? Absolutely.

~~ Irish
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I love these threads where people say how impossible it is to get the stuff you need to get the ID.

I needed to show a passport or birth certificate, both of which I have (or one of several other primary documents)

I needed to show a secondary document, which since I was renewing my license, I used my current license, again something I already had. There were 15 other secondary choices

I needed to show my social security number, either with a card, or a W2 or 1099 issued within the last five years. Really, there are people out there who will be flying who can't produce either of those from the last five years if they currently don't have a social security card, something they can get for free by filling out a form?

I needed to verify my address by picking two things from a list of over a dozen items including postmarked mail I could mail to myself.
If you are moving from one state to another, the last item becomes problematic. In Virginia, postmarked mail to yourself doesn't work - it has to be a utility bill, a tax bill, or similar documentation from a governmental or large corporate entity for something related to the residence. This is problematic when moving from one state to another, particularly if one must live in temporary housing for 6-8 weeks while awaiting closing. It's also problematic when the address used is not a street address (e.g. a PO box or RR).

I think it took like five minutes to get all that stuff together, and another three to five minutes at renewal time for them to scan the envelopes and verify the SSN.
I've related before how it took 3 trips to DMV to move my DL and car registrations when I returned to VA from Texas. In the first case, the verification computer network went down and anyone doing NEW applications were sent home for the day (that after waiting 2 hours in line). The second trip resulted in a deferral because there was some kind of mismatch in the STATE records (possibly related to 10 year old identity theft) and a title on record to a trailer I owned that's kept at a rural property elsewhere in the state. This required some kind of resolution at the State DMV office, but the folks that did that work were either overwhelmed or out for the day. So after another 2 hours (90 minute wait, 30 minutes at the counter), I was sent home again. Now my out-of-state DL was within days of expiring (too late to renew there) and I was well past the legal limit of residency in VA before I had to have my new papers. The third trip took 3 hours, including collection and faxing of documents (they insisted that I bring additional documents with me that time) before things could be processed.

All told it was 3 trips to DMV, 7 hours at DMV, and an additional 4 hours of vacation time/out of the office to deal with it all (the first aborted trip was on a Saturday). None of the issues impinged on my ability to drive a car or pass a written exam - it was all bureaucratic madness and paperwork.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
If you are moving from one state to another, the last item becomes problematic. In Virginia, postmarked mail to yourself doesn't work - it has to be a utility bill, a tax bill, or similar documentation from a governmental or large corporate entity for something related to the residence. This is problematic when moving from one state to another, particularly if one must live in temporary housing for 6-8 weeks while awaiting closing. It's also problematic when the address used is not a street address (e.g. a PO box or RR).

Most people can print out the list and collect the necessary documentation in a few minutes from stuff they already have.

The others can certainly get it without that much of a problem.
Yes, it's doable, but it shouldn't take so much time and thought. A lot of people don't have the time or mental capacity to go through all of this hassle and at best will end up requiring several tries to get it done right.

MA requires "proof of residence" to get an ID ( http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/AcceptableId.pdf ). When my wife (then fiancee) moved to MA after finishing grad school in CA, she was moving to a house owned in my name with my name on all the utilities, etc. She was immediately put on my car and homeowners insurance as a household member, also in my name. She's not remotely off grid, but all of her paychecks, bank statements, cell phone bill, etc., are electronic only.

If you go through the Massachusetts document linked, the vast majority of the proof-of-residence documents were not at all applicable to her at all. Her choices would either 1) to get a bank or her cell phone provider to generate a single paper statement (way more than 5 minutes of work, may incur a fee, may have to wait 30-60 days to receive the document). Printing one from online may not work if they make a stink about it being a "photocopy," or 2) order personal checks, which MA considers proof of residency even though I can go online and order checks with whatever address I want.

Because I knew about all this, I told her to order checks a month before she moved so that the week after she moved out here, she could take care of this with a single trip to the RMV (name for MA DMV) before she started her job. If she had to wait 30-60 days for statements to be mailed from her, at minimum she would have had to take time off work. Most people aren't going to go through the effort to figure that stuff out. It shouldn't require that level of intellectual effort and working the system to perform a basic transaction.

Oh, and if she hadn't had a passport, she also would have had to provide her original social security card *and* a birth certificate. Again, doable, but may be more than 5 minutes of work if you haven't seen those docs in a while (or if they are in your parents' bank box 2500 miles away).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
When the deadlines come up and the states are still non-compliant, I believe that the TSA will realize that checking IDs doesn't make a bit of difference to security. At that time, they will eliminate not only ID checkers but also right-size the rest of the work force, putting an end to gate checks, the liquid scam and 38% of the back office.

Mike
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef
When the deadlines come up and the states are still non-compliant, I believe that the TSA will realize that checking IDs doesn't make a bit of difference to security. At that time, they will eliminate not only ID checkers but also right-size the rest of the work force, putting an end to gate checks, the liquid scam and 38% of the back office.

Mike
Helllloooo...... ?! Earth to Mike. Is anyone home there?

I know (hope) its sarcasm. If not, we might need to seek out an intervention. You have some real serious issues with reality.

Funny. You made me laugh. I needed a good laugh. It was a joke? Right?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:35 pm

It seems that it is actually harder in most states to get new RealID-compliant driving licences than to get a passport book/card. Should we hope that maybe finally more people will get a passport? The percentage of US nationals holding a passport is just shameful.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
I can only notice that Florida requirements were a major hassle for my 84-year-old mother, who had to obtain a certified copy of her out-of-state birth certificate plus a certified copy of her out-of-state marriage license (to track her name change) plus a new social security card (she hasnt used a social security card since 1950).

Costly? No. (Well, relatively 'no' - less than $100; however $100 is a lot of money for some folks.) Aggravating and time consuming? Absolutely.

~~ Irish
I have a similar example, this time its a Mother-In-Law moving from New York to California.

Was your mom originally from New York City?

My M-I-L was from Brooklyn, and she had no marriage license to track her name change, only a church document.

She had only a baptism certificate, and probably had a delayed birth cert, if there was any*.

In order to get the birth cert from NYC she had to show a VALID ID (but her D/L was >5 years past the expiry date) and know the exact birth dates, but due to the delayed part, nobody was sure of her exact date of birth.* Plus have all the other docs showing legal name change, which she didn't have and could never get; legal doc had to be recent, and take court order type of effort and time and ability, which was beyond her capabilities (or ours for that matter).

Plus after 9/11 everything got real tight in NY, nobody was allowed to help cut ID acquisition red tape for other people, even if they were elderly and their family was trying to help them with it.

*All I found in the genealogy records was the index, not the details -such as parents names -that would have shown it was the correct person at all.

A further wrinkle was that the state of California required the Social Security name to EXACTLY match the birth cert. name (with paper trail to show name change in cases of marriage, etc.) otherwise they wouldn't issue the ID card.
No paper trail in her case, so no card anyway

My husband rented an apartment and signed the lease and paid the rent.

We had to wrangle with the bank to allow her to open an account with her old D/L; we said to the manager, "shes moved, her Soc. Sec. checks are coming to the new place, how in the world will she pay her rent with out a bank account?"

She never was able to get a current ID.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow

~~ Irish
Irish,

to add to my first reply to you, in my M-I-L's case, even if she had used her SS card with her name and a number on it, the number in the database would show her husbands name because she got SS $ on his account, having been married to him for >9 years.

Back in the 70s when she was set up on SS in New York, they accepted whatever marriage docs she had from church, and her D/L was current.

Plus, D/L back then accepted baptism certs in lieu of birth certs to show proof of age.

So there are people who predate the requirements....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.