Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports now required for domestic travel??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Just curious...I know the RealID requirements are more stringent than existing requirements. Does anyone know: if you are going from a 'regular' DL to a RealID DL, do you have to provide extra documentation to be able to re-new an existing license?
Yes you do. This is causing quite a bit of difficulty as catch-22 situations are encountered.

Many people intent on renewing find unexpected problems in the process, especially in the elderly population who cannot understand why they must now suddenly produce all sorts of extra documentation in order to prove their identity so that they can renew their primary identity form.

The law of unintended consequence strikes again!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by loops
Yes you do. This is causing quite a bit of difficulty as catch-22 situations are encountered.

Many people intent on renewing find unexpected problems in the process, especially in the elderly population who cannot understand why they must now suddenly produce all sorts of extra documentation in order to prove their identity so that they can renew their primary identity form.

The law of unintended consequence strikes again!
That's kind of crazy. Depending the requirements, someone who already has NEXUS/SENTRI/GE could conceivably be turned away. I have not had a physical social security card since my teens. Never had to show the physical card to get hired (I knew my number, of course), and it obviously isn't a requirement for NEXUS/GE/SENTRI.

And I don't actually know if my birth certificate is the form required for RealID.

What a crock.

Yes, I know someone will be along shortly to post that getting a replacement physical SS card takes little or no effort and getting a new birth certificate in the appropriate form also takes little to no effort or cost. Still pretty ridiculous that I might need more documentation to satisfy DHS's requirements for a RealID (requirements that have nothing to do with me as a driver) than they required for a trusted traveller card.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
That's kind of crazy. Depending the requirements, someone who already has NEXUS/SENTRI/GE could conceivably be turned away. I have not had a physical social security card since my teens. Never had to show the physical card to get hired (I knew my number, of course), and it obviously isn't a requirement for NEXUS/GE/SENTRI.

And I don't actually know if my birth certificate is the form required for RealID.

What a crock.
It's totally crazy. Nowadays, and for a while, the only guaranteed "safe" ID that works by itself and doesn't require random supporting docs for a lot of transactions (birth cert, SS card, etc.) is a passport or passport card.

I have an infant son. Even if I don't do any international travel with him, my current plan is to get him a passport card when he is 6, renew it when he's 11, and get him a "real" 10-year adult passport and card when he's 16. If the rules get more draconian, I'll get the first passport card sooner. But as long as things stay about the same as they are now, he'll be safe from unintended consequences of ID-laws requiring documents he may not have in the future once he has that first passport card.

Got to make sure we have our papers in order. Sounds more like living in a police state than in the USA.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
What....is the flight velocity of an unladen deHavilland Swallow??
You do, of course, realize that by asking about the "velocity", you are asking to have a vector quantified, and not just a speed.
Anyway, there were two different versions of the Swallow (DeHavilland DH-108) built. The first, of which 2 were built, was a low speed model, with a design Vne (top speed) of 280 mph. No one knows what the top speed of the second high-speed version was. It disintegrated, killing the test pilot, Geoffrey DeHavilland, Jr., upon reaching .9 Mach. What that speed is in mph or kph, would depend on the ambient air temperature.
To answer your question with respect to "velocity", one would have to know the direction of travel. And if it was truly "unladen" the speed and velocity would be 0, since the British Goblin turbojet engine required a lot of fuel (roughly 4,000 gallons/hour)to run, and jet fuel is about 6.67 pounds per gallon (and almost $7.00/gallon at JFK).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
You do, of course, realize that by asking about the "velocity", you are asking to have a vector quantified, and not just a speed.
Anyway, there were two different versions of the Swallow (DeHavilland DH-108) built.
You are not a Monty Python fan, are you? Otherwise you'd recognize the reference...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You are not a Monty Python fan, are you? Otherwise you'd recognize the reference...
Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
Anyway, there were two different versions of the Swallow (DeHavilland DH-108) built. The first, of which 2 were built, was a low speed model, with a design Vne (top speed) of 280 mph. No one knows what the top speed of the second high-speed version was. It disintegrated, killing the test pilot, Geoffrey DeHavilland, Jr., upon reaching .9 Mach. What that speed is in mph or kph, would depend on the ambient air temperature.
To answer your question with respect to "velocity", one would have to know the direction of travel. And if it was truly "unladen" the speed and velocity would be 0, since the British Goblin turbojet engine required a lot of fuel (roughly 4,000 gallons/hour)to run, and jet fuel is about 6.67 pounds per gallon (and almost $7.00/gallon at JFK).
What do you mean? True Airspeed, Mach Airspeed, or Indicated Airspeed?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:34 pm

I have heard that it is likely that members of Congress will work to have this deadline extended. I remember when this was supposed to happen in the past, and members of Congress had the enforcement of REAL ID extended to prevent issues from coming. It is likely that this is an easy thing for members of Congress to do to show that they made things easier for voters of their state.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
What do you mean? True Airspeed, Mach Airspeed, or Indicated Airspeed?
You forgot Calibrated Airspeed and Groundspeed. And all of those are speeds. The question involved velocity.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

What a crock.

Yes, I know someone will be along shortly to post that getting a replacement physical SS card takes little or no effort and getting a new birth certificate in the appropriate form also takes little to no effort or cost. Still pretty ridiculous that I might need more documentation to satisfy DHS's requirements for a RealID (requirements that have nothing to do with me as a driver) than they required for a trusted traveller card.
From an article published in the last year in Florida: <http://www2.highlandstoday.com/news/highlands-news/2011/jan/23/drivers-license-renewal-and-real-id-act-ar-308123/>

Documentation now required under The REAL ID Act as proof of identity include a state-issued (not hospital) birth certificate, valid passport, naturalization document, or consular proof of birth abroad. All documents must be original or certified from the source. Non-U.S. residents must provide proof of status within the country.

For proof of a Social Security number, an original Social Security card, W-2 or 1099 form, or recent paycheck can be provided.

For proof of home address, two documents indicating the address, including a mortgage deed, utility bill, voter registration card, insurance card, W-2 or 1099 form, or bank statement can be provided.

For proof of legal name change, an original or certified copy of a marriage certificate (not church issued) or court order showing name change can be provided.

Without exception, all qualifying documents must be presented to renew or obtain a driver license or state identification card. Under limited circumstances, a temporary permit can be issued while gathering required documents.

Supporters of The REAL ID Act claim that the new documentation requirements add security to driver license and state identification holders as they will not be able to board an aircraft or enter federal buildings without a Real ID-compliant license or identification card starting in 2014.

Critics of The REAL ID Act claim the new law will weaken security of personal information by placing it in a national data base subject to access nationwide.

While The REAL ID Act of 2005 is currently the law in Florida and a dozen other states, opposition is building in Congress to repeal it. Although in the minority as approximately 37 states have prohibited implementation of the new law, compliance is now a must here in the Sunshine state.
Dunno what's happening in all the states without "real id" yet. Naturally there have been unintended consequences in the states where 'real id" is in effect. Persons who are "unemployed" (retired or homemaker perhaps?) living at addresses who are not on the deed or the rental agreement due to other arrangements, lacking insurance or do not have utility bills in their name, etal, might have trouble coming up with the two acceptable documents that confirm an address to satisfy the "proof of address" requirement. There are an abundance of non-terrorists that might slip into this category and yet... are not now or ever, a threat to national security.

Last edited by loops; Nov 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
As someone who has already been massively annoyed by the RealID process when I was unfortunate enough to be an early adapter, I feel like if I had to jump through assorted hoops, everyone else should have to share that annoyance of trying to get the documentation together. And I had it easy compared to a co-worker who was trying to get her driver's license issued in her new name after a) getting married and b) moving into her husband's home where her name was on none of the house paperwork.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
They should also accept GE/NEXUS cards for those who have them, right?
True, but can a U.S. citizen get GE/NEXUS without a passport?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I submit that the requirement to show ID at the checkpoint (and sometimes the desk when checking in) plus the no-fly list is the functional equivalent of a Soviet-style internal passport.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
As someone who has already been massively annoyed by the RealID process when I was unfortunate enough to be an early adapter, I feel like if I had to jump through assorted hoops, everyone else should have to share that annoyance of trying to get the documentation together. And I had it easy compared to a co-worker who was trying to get her driver's license issued in her new name after a) getting married and b) moving into her husband's home where her name was on none of the house paperwork.
exactly. thank you for relating yours and your co-worker's real-life experiences.

imagine if any of this presented a problem at the checkpoint?

<your documents are lacking, you cannot fly (or enter this court of law) today>

This must be repealed.

Last edited by loops; Nov 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

My guess is that DHS is not going to back down this time. If they do, states will see that they can get unlimited extensions and not bother. Rather, I think that TSA will start giving extra scrutiny to people with non-compliant ID. It won't be as bad as showing up without ID, but it will be just enough to prod the states into compliance.

That's my guess; let's see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.