Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for speaking your name?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cubbie00
Recently in RDU, I gave my global entry ID at the precheck line. I was asked to state my name. Because of how much I dislike TSA doing stupid stuff, I just stood there and looked at the TSA TSO (not real officer). He asked me again and again and I just refused to say anything. He then asked me to step aside and not pass and called for sup. I then asked if I was being detained and why and was told you had to pronounce name. 3-stripe came about 5 min later and asked me to say my name. I asked why I was being detained illegally and under what authority they were refusing me to pass. She said it was policy to pronounce a name. I said I complied with the requirements to provide identification and boarding pass. She said she could not identify me from the global entry ID. I said here is my drivers license which has same information and why were they refusing to honor a federal ID. Eventually I passed thru screening but I never gave my name. I later put in a TSA complaint and was told it is not policy and they cannot detain you and the global entry should have been honored. As usual, no apology for the invention of screening policy.
You're toast. Has the Fatherland revoked your GE privilege yet?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Everyone should learn their name in American Sign Language and just do that in reply.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta, United
My name may be spelled FlyingUnderTheRadar but it is pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove"'
Yoshi212, petaluma1, tanja and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
I've always had a fondness for Karen Walker's (Will and Grace) alter ego: Anastasia Beaverhausen. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.
Boggie Dog and iluv2fly like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Name game resurrected at LIT this morning. I forgot the "ThroatWarbler Mangrove" bit until after I got through the process.

The TSA feller in the suit told me they ask because sometimes people get the wrong BP from the kiosk. One would think a matching ID would clear that confusion, but...
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:15 am

I recently got "Look at me when I look at your ID!" followed by my first name.
That was at TUS.

That guy must have a lot of friends. Great social skills.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by catocony
Everyone should learn their name in American Sign Language and just do that in reply.
No, no: in something *other* than ASL. I'm going to start practicing mine in Australian Sign Language.

You can ask for a translator when dealing with Federal agencies, can't you?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
"Famous" illustration of English spoken oddities: Sam GHOTI's last name is pronounced FISH.
(1)the GH in enough is pronounced : F
(2)O in women is I
(3)TI in nation is SH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.