Requirement for speaking your name?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

>> why stop after?

> Why pass up what the OP thought was a good opportunity to
> insult a TSA employee?

Excuse me???

I was *COMPLIMENTING* the TDC's knowledge/work, to her supv, the 2-striper. Whenever I
encounter a 1-striper that is doing their job professionally & pleasantly, I *ALWAYS* stop by the
pedestal and acknowledge/compliment their work by name.

Sadly; in this case, the 2-striper was the dud and thought her 1-striper had screwed-up. The
2-striper asked to see the NEXUS card. She didn't recognize it as an approved ID; so I gave her
TSA's own documentation. That is hardly an insult.

A DHS ID is not an insult. The CCW ID; perhaps ...

Last edited by dranz; Jul 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Huh. I must be reading posts in an alternate universe. He stopped by the two-striper and complimented the TDC who actually recognized a NEXUS card as valid I.D. How is this an opportunity to insult a TSA employee?
Compliment? You mean the veiled insult?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
The OP said the LTSO said they didn't know what a Nexus card was. So either she really didn't know or she lied about not knowing. Neither is acceptable.
I didn't say either is acceptable. However, we really don't know what the LTSO knew or not about various identification. Considering that the OP was basically telling the LTSO that one of the staff was not as dumb as the rest, I could easily see that LTSO becoming difficult on purpose. Is that the proper behavior? Nope. Yet lets not any of us claim we have always acted properly to others. If any of you tell me you have always been courteous to everyone you work with, or everyone you encounter, you have just proven yourself a liar. And sorry, some of you may not wish to see it as an insult, but telling a supervisor of staff that one of their staff is "unusually" knowledgeable may be looked at as insulting the rest of the staff (if you claim that it can not be so, well, we know that is a lie).
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Read the OP's clarification. You know, just above your post.

Or is this yet another TSA poster claiming that the OP lied and that must not have happened the way they describe?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
telling a supervisor of staff that one of their staff is "unusually" knowledgeable may be looked at as insulting the rest of the staff (if you claim that it can not be so, well, we know that is a lie).
Ah, the bizarro world of the TSA, where even complimenting them can be seen through the lens of victimization and results in intimidation and demands for yet more ID.

Reminds me of the time I wanted to compliment the TSA staff working at RIC a couple years back (pre-NoS.) Funny how the supervisor "didn't have any feedback forms available", until I mentioned that I was pleased with the service and wanted to send a compliment up the pipeline. Then, lo and behold, he just managed to find a form.

(Too bad that behavior kept me from sending it in.)

Last edited by Vidiot; Jul 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm Reason: adding clarification
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:45 pm

I didn't say either is acceptable. However, we really don't know what the LTSO knew or not about various identification. Considering that the OP was basically telling the LTSO that one of the staff was not as dumb as the rest, I could easily see that LTSO becoming difficult on purpose. Is that the proper behavior? Nope. Yet lets not any of us claim we have always acted properly to others. If any of you tell me you have always been courteous to everyone you work with, or everyone you encounter, you have just proven yourself a liar. And sorry, some of you may not wish to see it as an insult, but telling a supervisor of staff that one of their staff is "unusually" knowledgeable may be looked at as insulting the rest of the staff (if you claim that it can not be so, well, we know that is a lie).
Wow! You really are reading from a different universe.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
Wow! You really are reading from a different universe.
Actually ... not commenting on SATTSO's remarks specifically, but that attitude is not that unusual. Witness the number of "kids games" these days that deliberately don't have "winners", because praising a "winner" in a game might hurt the self-esteem of those who didn't win ...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I guess it's a good thing that earlier this year I tried to submit a compliment for an employee, but didn't manage to do so.

The TSO was professional and courteous and it was the least slimy grope I've received so far. In particular, The TSO's general attitude was great - based just on attitude to pax alone (without cutting any corners), this TSO is an asset to the checkpoint.

Unfortunately, I had to wait just over ten minutes for someone to arrive to speak to me. Then he didn't know where the forms were or if they were even available. That took another ten minutes. When he brought me the form, I pointed out the TSO I wanted to compliment, because my remarks were specifically about one TSO.

Well, he wasn't allowed to give out TSO names (not even first names) or some kind of badge or employee number. Instead, he told me to fill the form out there, return it to him and he would fill in the relevant TSO information and submit the form.

By that time, it was too close to flight time and I just left. I didn't have time to collect my thoughts and write a good note.

Also makes me wonder - does anyone really believe that if I had written a scathing criticism of that checkpoint and handed the form back to the LTSO/STSO that the form would have been submitted?

Sorry, TSA. I am almost obsessive about following up on exceptional employee behavior (even called about a cable installer who did a fantastic job). FA's, store clerks, furnace installers, you name it.

But I am not going to spend crazy amounts of time trying to figure out a way to provide feedback, postive or negative, to an organization that goes out of its way to make the process cumbersome and questionable as far as its integrity and reliability.

Hopefully that TSO will get deserved recognition through other channels.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by doober
I had the same reaction - bolding mine.

His reading comprehension skills aren't too great.
Reminds me of the search and rescue mission that picked up 10 TSOs and one non-TSA fisherman from a boat in the Gulf. Seems the UH-1 couldn't carry that much weight. The loadmaster yelled that one had to go. So the 11, all hanging on for dear life from rescue ropes, were deciding who would go. The citizen immediately volunteered, saying, "I will do anything to keep my country safe. The country needs you brave smurfs." The 10 TSOs all started loudly clapping.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I guess it's a good thing that earlier this year I tried to submit a compliment for an employee, but didn't manage to do so.

The TSO was professional and courteous and it was the least slimy grope I've received so far. In particular, The TSO's general attitude was great - based just on attitude to pax alone (without cutting any corners), this TSO is an asset to the checkpoint.
My point of my original post was that we have no idea what the LTSO knew or not. I simply stated I read the OPs statement as a veiled insult - when you approach someone in a supervisory position and say that one employee is "unusually knowledgeable" it can be interpreted as mean other employees are not, which can easily be taken as an insult, whether any of you like it or not. There is a difference in saying an employee is very knowledgeable and unusually knowledgeable.

And then you have to observe the OPs actions after the LTSOs first response.

All the posters on this thread are doing is ASSUMING they know what is going on in the LTSOs mind; the LTSO may have taken the comment wrong, we have no way of knowing. I simply pointed out that more than one possibility exist, that we should assume we can read the mind of the LTSO and know exactly what they meant.

Or have any of you ever had to say "I meant that as a compliment." If you say you haven't, then you know you have lied. And if you admit the truth that you have had to say that before, then you have to admit it is possible that there is more than one explanation for the LTSOs actions, even if you or I do not agree with it.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly

Well, I can say that I have been courteous to everyone I've dealt with in my career. If you think I'm telling a lie then all I can say is that it's reflective of your appalling attitude towards people. Just because you can't imagine someone always being courteous doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does happen, although from your statement it's easy to infer that you've never met a fellow TSO who hasn't been deliberately discourteous.

Last edited by OttawaMark; Jul 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
My point of my original post was that we have no idea what the LTSO knew or not.
Well the LTSO said he'd never seen a Nexus card. Are you now asserting that the LTSO may not have been telling the truth?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Why pass up what the OP thought was a good opportunity to insult a TSA employee?

Add: Heck, this story reminds me of the passenger who started to speak Russian to me when I gave him the advisement before the pat down; he was trying to make a point. "Sir, is that French?" He then says something else in Russian. "German?" He's became more upset, insulted me in Russian. "I know that's not Spanish." Finally he spoke in English, answering my questions throughout the advisement. He must have left wondering just how stupid I was. You have to wonder if this is what happened here... (Yes, I took Russian in college, can still speak it a very small bit.)
TSA clerks insult themselves every day they show up for that job program. Take it from a native Russian speaker.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:00 pm

My point of my original post was that we have no idea what the LTSO knew or not. I simply stated I read the OPs statement as a veiled insult - when you approach someone in a supervisory position and say that one employee is "unusually knowledgeable" it can be interpreted as mean other employees are not, which can easily be taken as an insult, whether any of you like it or not. There is a difference in saying an employee is very knowledgeable and unusually knowledgeable.
Geez. That's the most bizarre thing I've ever read. Paranoid much?

I can honestly say that, as a manager, I've never been insulted if someone told me one of my staff was "unusually knowledgeable".

~~ Irish
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by chollie
Hopefully that TSO will get deserved recognition through other channels.
Virtue is its own reward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.