Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on Mocek v. Albuquerque et. al.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Is she ashamed of something?
Feeling up an 82-year old grandmother perhaps?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The police officer might not be permitted to rely on the clerk's deliberate false statement that videorecording wasn't permitted at the checkpoint, but that doesn't absolve the clerk from liability for telling a deliberate lie.
Aside from obvious cases or where there's a clear an unambiguous ruling from the highest court with jurisdiction, when somebody (even at attorney) says that something is or is not legal, they aren't stating a fact, but offering an opinion. Fundamentally, it's up to the courts to decide whether a specific action is illegal or not. In the case of photography within the checkpoint, it's far from settled law. If you, me, Phil, or a TSO states that it is or is not permitted, we're all expressing our opinion of how we interpret the law. If the courts were ever to settle the issue (which I think unlikely any time soon, as I said), some of us might turn out to have been wrong, but not to have "lied".

This distinction between "facts" and the law is fundamental to our justice system. You may note that when a court (even the US Supreme Court, which has final jurisdiction on the subject) issues a ruling about the law, it's called an "Opinion".
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
This distinction between "facts" and the law is fundamental to our justice system. You may note that when a court (even the US Supreme Court, which has final jurisdiction on the subject) issues a ruling about the law, it's called an "Opinion".[/QUOTE]

He wasn't interpreting the law; he was stating the rules of his employer. It is settled law. Nordstrom's permits shoppers to enter within the hours of 10 AM and 6 PM (or whatever it is). It's settled law, therefore, that a shopper entering during that time isn't trespassing. There's never going to be a court case about whether shoppers entering during normal hours and for normal activities are trespassing; that doesn't mean there's any question that it isn't trespassing, and a Nordstrom's employee isn't rendering a legal opinion when he or she responds "no, are you crazy?" if asked whether a shopper during normal hours is trespassing.

Court rulings come into play in cases such as setting up tables and running petition drives in places like shopping centers in California, whether the shopping center likes it or not. They don't come into play in determining whether it's legal for a customer to make a purchase in the snack bar, or to buy a t-shirt.

When a clerk says photography isn't permitted at the checkpoint, he's not rendering a legal opinion; he's lying. The TSA explicitly permits photography at the checkpoint, they train clerks that photography is permitted. Clerks have been explicitly told over and over that photography is permitted. The clerks don't own the checkpoints, their employer owns the checkpoints, and their employer consents to photography.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 11:55 am Reason: readability
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
While it's true that TSA has stated, multiple times and through multiple venues, that it does not prohibit photography at the c/p, do we know for sure that they actually train the front-line TSOs on this fact?

Given the abysmal inconsistencies in policy throughout the US, many of which can be attributed to poor training, lack of training, or non-standardized training, I wouldn't be surprised if some TSOs are actually told flat-out that photography is prohibited. But mostly, I think TSA simply doesn't bother to include photography rules in the training at all, giving the agency an out if the subject ever actually does see a courtroom. "That is not TSA policy and we never trained that TSO to say that photography is prohibited, therefore we're not liable for his un-Constitutional actions."

Of course, the cynic in me sees an even simpler possibility: some front-line TSOs may not be edumacated enough to know the difference between "prohibited" and "permitted". Thus, when they here, "Photography is not prohibited", they think it means that photography is not allowed, and proceed from that false assumption.

"He's not just famous, he's IN-famous! He's MORE THAN famous!"

"Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!"

Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
The clerk from GSO who has posted here says they train them on this over and over and over.

It isn't that they don't train them, it's that they don't fire people for incompetence, laziness, or abuse of passengers. They teach them that they are "on the front lines" against terrorism and that everything is the passenger's fault, so that when they are too lazy (for example) to know what a NEXUS card is, they blame the passenger.

But they are trained on what a NEXUS card is, just as they are trained that photography is allowed.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
It’s not that they don’t fire them, as government employees unless they commit a criminal act, they can’t be fired for incompetence, laziness, or abuse of passengers as easily as a private employer could. Government employees know this, so they take there is nothing you can do to me attitude when you have a confrontation with them.

This is the one main advantage of private screeners like the ones at SFO, they are not government employees and can be fired for incompetence, laziness, or abuse of passengers.

I’ll bet that the TSA suit that caused the problems with Stacy Armato, no matter what the outcome of her lawsuit is, will still have his job after the lawsuit is either dismissed or settled out of court, he may have to watch some videos for retraining purposes or be slapped on the wrist and told don’t let it happen again.

Mr. Elliott

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 11:56 am Reason: readability
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:01 pm

Oral argument scheduled for March 17, 2015:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2015/02/0...moceks-appeal/

Oral arguments on “Freedom Flyer” Phil Mocek’s appeal of the dismissal of his Federal civil rights lawsuit against the TSA employees and Albuquerque police responsible for falsely arresting him at a TSA checkpoint at the Albuquerque airport in 2009 have been scheduled for Tuesday, March 17th, in Denver, Colorado.

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals hearing will be (sort of) open to the public, with caveats as discussed below....
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Update on Mocek v. Albuquerque et. al.

Is that good news? Is he dismissed his civil rights lawsuit?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by N830MH
Is that good news? Is he dismissed his civil rights lawsuit?
His case was dismissed - not good news.

His case is being appealed and will be heard by the 10th Circuit Court - that is good news.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
In reading the first 20 or so pages of Mocek's brief, it seems like he could really use a better lawyer
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I live here in Denver and added it to my calendar so I can go to the court bldg.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
In reading the first 20 or so pages of Mocek's brief, it seems like he could really use a better lawyer
What's wrong with it?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
Very poorly written stylistically and hard to follow. A big contrast with the government's well-written and easy to follow brief.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 am Reason: readability
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Also, Mocek's brief has a number of typos, date errors, MS Word revision flags, etc. Badly in need of proofreading.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 am Reason: readability
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Is anyone going to the hearing tomorrow in downtown Denver tomorrow? I was thinking of going down there and listening to the arguements. I am kind of looking foward to checking it out.

If anyone else is going, hit me up. It would be nice to meet other FTers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.