Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Rude, lazy, incompetent and too dumb to lie....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude, lazy, incompetent and too dumb to lie....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Perhaps you see value in listening to people who espouse the notion that the TSA or any of its employees are somehow useful.

I don't. They're a blight, and should be eradicated as quickly as possible.
That's precisely my point. I find today's security as implemented by the TSA to be mostly theatre, and numerous examples of the agency's policies trampling on rights. I do think the TSA should be restructured or eliminated and replaced with security that makes sense while still respecting the rights of individuals.

But I also know that simply bashing them constantly, whining, .....ing, and moaning about them is not going to sway many (or any) opinions. I ignore extremists, as most people do.

So, yes, I do see value in listening, because in listening, I can hear their concerns and beliefs and construct a sensible counter-argument that might just change someone's mind.

Try it some time.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
So, yes, I do see value in listening, because in listening, I can hear their concerns and beliefs and construct a sensible counter-argument that might just change someone's mind.

Try it some time.
I did, for the better part of ten years.

I got really tired of hearing the TSA apologists sputter, "But, but, but, 9-11!" while the TSA provides not one iota of security that might have prevented it.

The TSA must be abolished. It serves no useful purpose above and beyond any private security, it is a waste of money, and it represents a swirling drain of civil and humanitarian rights, all to no effect other than enriching the pseudo-military "security" complex and insuring that persons wholly unsuited for private-sector employment can obtain a paycheck despite their utter lack of any marketable skills.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I did, for the better part of ten years.

I got really tired of hearing the TSA apologists sputter, "But, but, but, 9-11!" while the TSA provides not one iota of security that might have prevented it.

The TSA must be abolished. It serves no useful purpose above and beyond any private security, it is a waste of money, and it represents a swirling drain of civil and humanitarian rights, all to no effect other than enriching the pseudo-military "security" complex and insuring that persons wholly unsuited for private-sector employment can obtain a paycheck despite their utter lack of any marketable skills.
^^ x 1000
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
How hard is it to train people to ask if they don't know? To make it clear that on the rare occasion that a pax does escalate, there will be consequences if the TSO has lied instead of escalating to someone who does know?
Actually, it's quite hard to do that --- but not for the obvious reason.

I've read research (sorry, I can't find a link right now) which looks at how experts and novices rate their own level of knowledge of their discipline. The brief summary is as follows. If you're an expert, you're highly likely to know that you're an expert. If you're a novice, you're just as likely to believe that you're an expert than believe that you're a novice.

In short: if you don't know what you're doing, you probably don't know that you don't know what you're doing.

This is one of the reasons I'm extremely loathe to use the term "lie" to refer to statements by TSOs that contradict TSA rules. I think it's much more likely that such TSOs honestly believe that they're correct, even as they offer their mistaken knowledge as facts.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I think I would have assisted by yelling "I need a male assist and a supervisor immediately" in my loudest possible voice myself.
would that have helped or created more issues? they are not really into improving customer experience....IMHO
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Actually, it's quite hard to do that --- but not for the obvious reason.

I've read research (sorry, I can't find a link right now) which looks at how experts and novices rate their own level of knowledge of their discipline. The brief summary is as follows. If you're an expert, you're highly likely to know that you're an expert. If you're a novice, you're just as likely to believe that you're an expert than believe that you're a novice.

In short: if you don't know what you're doing, you probably don't know that you don't know what you're doing.

This is one of the reasons I'm extremely loathe to use the term "lie" to refer to statements by TSOs that contradict TSA rules. I think it's much more likely that such TSOs honestly believe that they're correct, even as they offer their mistaken knowledge as facts.
Ink's Eight Phases of Knowledge:
  1. I do not know, and I know I do not know.
  2. I know a little, but I have a lot to learn.
  3. I know a lot, and there is not much more to learn (but I am wrong).
  4. I realize that I do not know everything I need to know about this, but I know enough to get by.
  5. I know it all and there is nothing more to learn.
  6. Well, that was wrong, I really need to learn some more about this before I really make a mess.
  7. I am really, really knowledgeable about this, but the more I learn, the more I realize I can never know everything.
  8. I don't know everything, in fact I know very little, but at least I know I don't know it and I am actively learning more so that I can know more.

I am really happy if I can get to #6.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
The Dunning–Kruger effect
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Precisely what I remembered. Thanks for finding that.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
  1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill
Hmm. 1 to 3 sound very familiar. 4 does not, which says something about TSA's so-called "training".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.