Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Southwest pilot has confrontation with TSA at MHT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest pilot has confrontation with TSA at MHT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
HA! You're clearly new around here; enjoy your indoctrination.
Heh. Nah, I've been around a while... I just prefer a moderate approach.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I love the beaurocratic inconsistency of the TSA screening pilots for 4 oz. of hotel shampoo, then sends them on to the controls of a commercial airliner with thousands of gallons of jet fuel that could be flown into buildings.
It's okay. While in the cockpit, the pilot does not have access to that fuel to mix with shampoo and make a magical explosive.

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Any agency that gives its people police uniforms and badges and makes them act like they're cops, even though they have no police powers, then decides that they're not required to prominently display a name tag or identification badge on their chest at all times, is out of control.
+1

And if I ever touched a TSO on the arm, I'd be sharing a bunk in Gitmo...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:52 am

A friend of mine who was a flight attendant for a large regional carrier told me a number of years ago about something she personally witnessed when her captain and a TSO got into an argument and it got to the point where one took a swing at the other (I forget which now). So this isn't the first time such a thing has happened. This was at a small airport in the SW.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Depends whom it favors.

Mike
My thoughts exactly. Or more than likely the DHS/TSA will drag their feet until it's forgotten about and nothing will come out of it.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
While I'd agree that refusing to provide a name is not the mark of an employee that cares about customer service, I've had the same issue before with airlines and credit card companies. I'd hardly use that single piece of evidence to defend the statement "XYZ agency is out of control."
There is significant difference between a government employee who refuses to provide their name and an employee for a private company.

Come on now. Battery? Really? Both the pilot and the TSO involved said nothing violent happen. There's no need to go to extremes.
Which of your relatives work for the TSA?

A battery is:

1. That defendant touched plaintiff with the intent to harm or offend the plaintiff;
2. That plaintiff did not consent to the touching; and
3. That plaintiff was harmed or offended by defendant’s conduct.

“A battery is any intentional, unlawful and harmful contact by one person
with the person of another. . . . A harmful contact, intentionally done is
the essence of a battery. A contact is ‘unlawful’ if it is unconsented to.”
(Ashcraft v. King (1991) 228 Cal.App.3d 604, 611 [278 Cal.Rptr. 900],
internal citations omitted.)

“A battery is a violation of an individual’s interest in freedom from
intentional, unlawful, harmful or offensive unconsented contacts with his
or her person.” (Rains v. Superior Court (1984) 150 Cal.App.3d 933, 938
[198 Cal.Rptr. 249].)

The pilot said the STSO was being condescending. Doesn't mean he actually was. Again, the article really tells us nothing.

So, yes, a battery. Really.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
A friend of mine who was a flight attendant for a large regional carrier told me a number of years ago about something she personally witnessed when her captain and a TSO got into an argument and it got to the point where one took a swing at the other (I forget which now). So this isn't the first time such a thing has happened. This was at a small airport in the SW.
Happened more recently at JFK, although the pilot was off-duty. I hope it was caught on camera. Interesting that he says it happened because he was trying to look at her ID tags to get her name.

http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_news...-at-pilot?lite
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:43 pm

Police say no charges in TSA official-pilot dustup

The long and short of it:

"...police concluded that Harbaugh's touch did not amount to assault."

TSA's statement once again says they investigated themselves, and found themselves innocent: “The findings demonstrate that our employees acted professionally and followed proper screening protocols in their engagement with Captain Mcghie”.

Last edited by OldGoat; Aug 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm Reason: Noticed TSA statement likely to TSA's investigation rather than LE investigation.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
There is significant difference between a government employee who refuses to provide their name and an employee for a private company.
That wasn't my point. My point was that we don't call credit card companies "out of control" when one employee refuses to give a name. Just because we don't like TSA, we're going to apply a different standard here? The article gave us no information, and the first responder immediately jumped to "They're out of control!!! ZOMG!!111"

Which of your relatives work for the TSA?
Don't be ridiculous. Please leave unproductive comments like this out of this forum. Comments like these are just plain pathetic.

A battery is:

1. That defendant touched plaintiff with the intent to harm or offend the plaintiff;
2. That plaintiff did not consent to the touching; and
3. That plaintiff was harmed or offended by defendant’s conduct.

“A battery is any intentional, unlawful and harmful contact by one person
with the person of another. . . . A harmful contact, intentionally done is
the essence of a battery
. A contact is ‘unlawful’ if it is unconsented to.”
(Ashcraft v. King (1991) 228 Cal.App.3d 604, 611 [278 Cal.Rptr. 900],
internal citations omitted.)

“A battery is a violation of an individual’s interest in freedom from
intentional, unlawful, harmful or offensive unconsented contacts with his
or her person.” (Rains v. Superior Court (1984) 150 Cal.App.3d 933, 938
[198 Cal.Rptr. 249].)

So, yes, a battery. Really.
Except that... it wasn't:

Originally Posted by OldGoat
If you really see harm in the touching of arms, I suggest you stay indoors from now on so you don't become a battered man.

If you touched someone on the arm (perhaps to get their attention, for example) you would likely laugh at the implication that you committed battery.

Jumping to battery here is jumping to extremes.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by OldGoat
I hope this police department remembers that conclusion the next time TSA accuses a passenger at MHT of touching a TSO.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Jones said the security footage taken at the checkpoint area should clear up whether the confrontation amounted to an assault.
If the tables were turned there would be no security footage available.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
That wasn't my point. My point was that we don't call credit card companies "out of control" when one employee refuses to give a name. Just because we don't like TSA, we're going to apply a different standard here? The article gave us no information, and the first responder immediately jumped to "They're out of control!!! ZOMG!!111"
Government employees are in a different category. You can choose not to deal with a private company. You're stuck with the government. The story told us the government employee refused to provide their name. What part of that do you not understand?

I have to interact with the TSA. I KNOW they are out of control. Why don't you? Perhaps you are not familiar with the 4th Amendment and the cases that have defined the permissible scope of administrative inspections?

Don't be ridiculous. Please leave unproductive comments like this out of this forum. Comments like these are just plain pathetic.
It is not ridiculous or unproductive at all. The only thing that might be pathetic is your unwillingness to explain your blind support for the TSA. I was venturing a guess as to what it might be.

Perhaps you are too defensive on this issue for a reason?

Except that... it wasn't:

If you really see harm in the touching of arms, I suggest you stay indoors from now on so you don't become a battered man.

If you touched someone on the arm (perhaps to get their attention, for example) you would likely laugh at the implication that you committed battery.

Funny that the pilot believed it was offensive.

In our system, the police are not the final arbiter of what is a crime and what is not. The courts and juries are.

Why is it that if you do not address the issue of why it is a one-way street? If there had been any touching of the TSA employee, you can bet there would have been charges.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:59 pm

It is not ridiculous or unproductive at all. The only thing that might be pathetic is your unwillingness to explain your blind support for the TSA. I was venturing a guess as to what it might be.

Perhaps you are too defensive on this issue for a reason?
Really? That's where you're taking this? Despite my frequent criticism of the TSA, because I happen to not believe that constant bashing of the TSA is productive, or that paranoid and unsubstantiated accusations of other members of this forum are productive, suddenly I have "blind support" for the TSA?

If you want to have a productive conversation, I'm up for it.

Last edited by UshuaiaHammerfest; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

Unintentional touching isn't battery, nor is touching that doesn't cause offense to a reasonable person.

This was battery. The fact that you have additional requirements for considering something battery isn't important. Battery is what the law defines it to be.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Unintentional touching isn't battery, nor is touching that doesn't cause offense to a reasonable person.

This was battery. The fact that you have additional requirements for considering something battery isn't important. Battery is what the law defines it to be.
Where did you get that I have additional requirements for battery? I don't. I highlighted what another poster wrote.

Most reasonable people would not allege battery just from someone touching them on the arm and being condescending. The article says nothing about how hard the touch was, how offensive it was, and so on. But given the other facts it did provide, we can safely conclude what it really was.

It was a pissing contest. Nothing more.

My sense is that you and many others on this forum believe that only those with the absolute most extreme anti-TSA views are welcome. That's pretty sad, considering the implication is that you'll drive away those who are generally opposed to TSA's practices and policies, but just happen to be smart enough to be objective and recognize that not every incident is worth crying foul over. And those are the people that you need if you ever want to see the anything change.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm Reason: reference to deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.