Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

No-fly list lawsuit should proceed in federal court in Portland, appeals panel rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No-fly list lawsuit should proceed in federal court in Portland, appeals panel rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Also waaaay too many statements that the FBI offered to remove them from the list if they agreed to become an informant to be coincidence. Also, so many offers of 'one-time waivers'. The FBI obviously doesn't believe them too dangerous to fly, but they are using the No-Fly List to coerce them. How shameful.
Pretty much. But that bit is old news; the ACLU took that on in an amended complaint in April:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...b57_story.html
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Spiff
Arrest and prosecution of DHS and TSA employees would be a good start.
Oh my.

Last edited by apodo77; Jun 25, 2014 at 6:45 am
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome!

The government scumbags who initiated and maintained the no-fly list should be individually liable for damages and should face criminal prosecution.

Pissant should be immediately arrested to start off the prosecutions.
They are presently studying their appeal options. It's not over yet.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They should be arrested and perhaps allowed to bond out while the appeal is in play. When the appeal is denied, they should begin trial and then ultimately a very long stretch in prison. For someone Pissant's age, that should be life.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Awesome! ^

The government scumbags who initiated and maintained the no-fly list should be individually liable for damages and should face criminal prosecution.

Pissant should be immediately arrested to start off the prosecutions.
Yeah, you got that right!!!! That's the problem!!! I'm tired of TSA! It's time to end the TSA now!

You lied, cheat, steal and stupid.

Good riddance to TSA!!!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Not by a long shot. I suspect these people will still be on the NFL for many years to come and I suspect that the government will continue to play games and threaten and coerce people and put people on the NFL while this plays out.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by eghansen
It is interesting that the "no-fly list" makes a mockery of the TSA.

What the list says to me is that the FBI believes that people on the no-fly list are so clever that the current system of passenger and baggage screening can't be trusted to stop them from committing terrorist acts and keep airline travel safe. Thus these people must be barred from all airline travel whatsoever.
Great point! ^
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:53 am

They should be arrested and perhaps allowed to bond out while the appeal is in play. When the appeal is denied, they should begin trial and then ultimately a very long stretch in prison. For someone Pissant's age, that should be life.
What it is you think they should be arrested for, precisely? You have called for arrests at least three times so you obviously think you're on to something?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:40 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Josh Davis
What it is you think they should be arrested for, precisely? You have called for arrests at least three times so you obviously think you're on to something?
Violating people's civil rights by illegally denying them passage by commercial airplane. Extortion. Denial of due process.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:48 am

Violating people's civil rights by illegally denying them passage by commercial airplane. Extortion. Denial of due process.
Exactly. I can't advocate violence on this forum, but I can note that I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if they were lynched.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:54 am

Besides violating the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the TSA of DHS also violated a law passed by Congress, according to this court. 49 U.S.C. 44903 provides:

49 U.S.C. 44903 Air transportation security
(j) Short-term assessment and deployment of emerging security technologies and procedures
(2) Computer-assisted passenger prescreening system
(C) Advanced airline passenger prescreening
(ii) Assumption of function. Not later than 180 days after completion of testing under clause (i), the Assistant Secretary, or the designee of the Assistant Secretary, shall begin to assume the performance of the passenger prescreening function of comparing passenger information to the automatic selectee and no fly lists and utilize all appropriate records in the consolidated and integrated terrorist watchlist maintained by the Federal Government in performing that function.
(iii) Requirements. In assuming performance of the function under clause (ii), the Assistant Secretary shall --
(I) establish a procedure to enable airline passengers, who are delayed or prohibited from boarding a flight because the advanced passenger screening system determined that they might pose a security threat, to
appeal such determination and correct information contained in the system;
(G) Appeal procedures.
(i) In general. The Assistant Secretary shall establish a timely and fair process for individuals identified as a threat under one or more of subparagraphs (C), (D), and (E) to appeal to the Transportation Security Administration the determination and correct any erroneous information.

The court indicated that "the DHS TRIP process" violates the above section, but to be safe, "concluded [that] the DHS TRIP process violates Plaintiffs' rights to procedural due process under the United States Constitution," without directly holding that 49 USC 44903 was violated. This way, Congress can not simply overrule the ruling by amending 49 USC 44903. Good work, judge.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Blogndog
Exactly. I can't advocate violence on this forum, but I can note that I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if they were lynched.
No.

You are skirting the rules, IMHO, in saying this. You aren't advocating violence, but this is also unacceptable.

We're supposed to be a nation of laws, not vigilantes. Just because TSA ignores the law doesn't mean the appropriate sanctions should be outside the law.

I don't like groin chops either, but this is not an acceptable response. It just lowers you to the level of the law-breaking TSOs and their AWOL or complicit enabling managers.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by chollie
No.

You are skirting the rules, IMHO, in saying this. You aren't advocating violence, but this is also unacceptable.

We're supposed to be a nation of laws, not vigilantes. Just because TSA ignores the law doesn't mean the appropriate sanctions should be outside the law.

I don't like groin chops either, but this is not an acceptable response. It just lowers you to the level of the law-breaking TSOs and their AWOL or complicit enabling managers.
Agreed -- the law needs to apply equally to all. So let's prosecute anyone who harms the DHS, but only after a 13 year gap while the perpetrators get away with it until the court system catches up with the reality on the ground.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
Pretty much. But that bit is old news; the ACLU took that on in an amended complaint in April:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...b57_story.html
The government is still using the blacklists in much the same way as alleged in the "old news'" items.

I have little to no doubt about the following: when it comes to most people who have been hit by these kind of US blacklists and offered a USG "deal" to get around the blacklist hits, approaching the ACLU is more the exception than the norm. Most victims of this sort are probably too scared or otherwise poorly positioned to challenge the government in an open venue on such matters.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The government is still using the blacklists in much the same way as alleged in the "old news'" items.

I have little to no doubt about the following: when it comes to most people who have been hit by these kind of US blacklists and offered a USG "deal" to get around the blacklist hits, approaching the ACLU is more the exception than the norm. Most victims of this sort are probably too scared or otherwise poorly positioned to challenge the government in an open venue on such matters.
Particularly when the government has demonstrated a willingness to go after family members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.