Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A thought about taking my son to the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thought about taking my son to the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
I get anxious going to the airport. It isn't because I'm afraid of the TSA. It is because I'm anticipating conflict.
I'm tense because I'm seething in anticipation of what I perceive to be a systematic violation of my rights as a citizen, and the accompanying fact that most of my fellow citizens seem to passively accept it or, worse, embrace it. In the larger sense, I'm tense because I'm allowing myself to be part of something that IMO is a collective hysterical reaction promoted by my government.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
xxxxx

Last edited by Dianne47; Jul 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Additionally...

- Low level bureaucrats check the ID of military personnel on a daily basis to gain access to military bases, utilize things like the base exchange and buy gas for their car. Does he get tense when someone asks for his ID then? Maybe so, but odds are high that he shows ID to a Rent-A-Cop every morning just to get through a gate. Want that bag of chips at the Exchange? Not until you show your ID to that 90 lb Filipina running the register. Tense now?
- like them or not, using juvenile names like "Tray Stackers Association" or whatever to refer to the TSA doesn't exactly add intellectual weight to a point.
- People with brown ID cards have little business commenting on the serious subject of security clearances, especially if they don't know the background of their target audience. Or any other time, for that matter. Dependents should stick with dependent issues when discussing things military.
Most military members don't have a legitimate expectation that any of your above mentioned personnel are going to be instructed by their supervisors to touch the service member's leg until they meet "resistance."

On a different note, ever notice when most military people travel on commercial flights you never see or hear them complain? Seems they're sometimes dealt some of the toughest and trying experiences traveling yet you never see them complain. I don't know if it's manners, or they're conditioned into dealing with government bureaucracy or a little of both....but they almost always as a whole come off as calm, cool and collected. Whether dealing with TSA, the airlines, over entitled & under entitled passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Dianne47
Your post is deeply offensive, for many reasons. No one gets through the United States Naval Academy without immeasurable amounts of blood, sweat, and honor. I know this because my son is a USNA graduate.

As for "bubblehead officer on a boomer," you show a level of ignorance that is simply breathtaking. You must be the kind of person that thinks it's OK to kick a disabled vet's service dog - see the thread in the Disability Travel forum.
Lady, do you even know what "bubblehead" means? Or "boomer"? If not, ask a submariner. Heck, ask your kid. Even a Naval Academy graduate should know that...

Last edited by dd992emo; Jul 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
On a different note, ever notice when most military people travel on commercial flights you never see or hear them complain? Seems they're sometimes dealt some of the toughest and trying experiences traveling yet you never see them complain. I don't know if it's manners, or they're conditioned into dealing with government bureaucracy or a little of both....but they almost always as a whole come off as calm, cool and collected. Whether dealing with TSA, the airlines, over entitled & under entitled passengers.
Exactly. Which is why I wondered how in the heck someone as insignificant as a TSA screener could make someone with his experience "tense".
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Lady, do you even know what "bubblehead" means? Or "boomer"? If not, ask a submariner. Heck, ask your kid. Even a Naval Academy graduate should know that...
Hey! I was in the Army 45 years ago and I know what a "bubblehead" and a "boomer" are and neither is a derogatory term.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Hey! I was in the Army 45 years ago and I know what a "bubblehead" and a "boomer" are and neither is a derogatory term.
True, but a bit of tautology I think. If he was on a boomer he is a bubblehead by default.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If he was on a boomer he is a bubblehead by default.
You mean it was de fault of de people in New London who let him on de boomer?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:33 pm

Okay, you two stop with the humor while I'm being "deeply offensive" here...

And while you're at it..."tautology"? Really??? I was an LDO, not a college boy, so let's keep it monosyllabic.

Last edited by dd992emo; Jul 29, 2012 at 6:54 am
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:58 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
It's largely because military people have experienced things that make the "goon walk" look like a little girl's tea party. Aside from the whole "violation of civil rights" thing, which IS a significant and intolerable issue but WON'T be resolved by copping attitude with the "goon squad" while going through a CP, getting your nuts grabbed or your bag searched is not a big deal to most military members (active or vets). Maybe things have changed since I was in the military but when you start your first morning by being woken up to the sound of a trash can lid being thrown against the wall less that 2 feet from your head and the words "Get the f&%$ out of your racks you bunch of lazy syphilated p%$#ies", shower and use the toilet withing a foot of dozens of other people, get searched most every time you enter an overseas base or a ship and get shot at by strangers on a regular basis, you know what? Having your nuts grabbed so you can get onto a plane or having a crying kid 5 rows up from you just isn't that big of a deal anymore.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
And while you're at it..."tautology"? Really??? I was an LDO, not a college boy, so let's keep it monosyllabic.
Say same fing twice.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:53 am

^
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Say same fing twice.
Excellent! Thanks! ^
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Your post is deeply offensive, for many reasons. No one gets through the United States Naval Academy without immeasurable amounts of blood, sweat, and honor. I know this because my son is a USNA graduate.

As for "bubblehead officer on a boomer," you show a level of ignorance that is simply breathtaking. You must be the kind of person that thinks it's OK to kick a disabled vet's service dog - see the thread in the Disability Travel forum.
Bubblehead: Anyone serving on a submarine.
Officer: What your son does for a living.
Boomer: Ballistic Missile Submarine.
Ignorance: See "Dianne47."
Apology: The thing you should issue to the gentleman you attacked, since neither bubblehead, officer, nor boomer are derogatory in any way.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Bubblehead: Anyone serving on a submarine.
Officer: What your son does for a living.
Boomer: Ballistic Missile Submarine.
Ignorance: See "Dianne47."
Apology: The thing you should issue to the gentleman you attacked, since neither bubblehead, officer, nor boomer are derogatory in any way.
I attacked no one. I've removed my post. I will apologize to no one. Several posters on this thread are belittling others for dreading going through security. I dread flying myself and won't travel by air unless there's no other way to get there.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond

I attacked no one.
Yeah, right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.