Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Refuses Drivers License, Demands Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Refuses Drivers License, Demands Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
How do they know your citizenship without looking at your passport? There are penalties for overstay and aliens who do overstay can get "overstay" stamped in their passport. They need to know whether to collect your I-94 and they don't know whether you are supposed to have an I-94 without looking at your passport.
Even looking at a passport, they don't necessarily know a person's lawful presence status.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by loops
I have heard that TSO's receive bonuses for any "finds" of criminal behavior they might run across at the checkpoint. Can this be confirmed?
There were reports of that in the past, though even they stated that the "bonuses" weren't anything formal. But the TSA has agreed with the ACLU that such things are unconstitutional, so if it's happening now, it's likely even much less formal.

And as to I-94's, what does the TSA have to do with that? To say nothing of the fact that most I-94's have gone away.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

FlyingHoustonian: After reading the statutes provided by CBP in your post, my conclusion remains that while searches upon entry are compulsary, searches while leaving (outside reasonable suspicion) are not.

--Jon
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even looking at a passport, they don't necessarily know a person's lawful presence status.
If you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident, you should have an I-94, which will include the expiration of your authorized stay. It won't indicate whether or not you violated conditions of the stay (like getting a job when you weren't supposed to, or dropping out of school if you entered on a student visa), but they will be able to tell if you overstayed. And the I-94 should be stapled in the passport.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended

If you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident, you should have an I-94, which will include the expiration of your authorized stay.
Not necessarily. Things of this sort are far more nuanced than your above post communicates. There are so many "exceptions" to what you posted above that I am not going to even start listing them with the applicable conditional elements.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus
How do they know your citizenship without looking at your passport? There are penalties for overstay and aliens who do overstay can get "overstay" stamped in their passport. They need to know whether to collect your I-94 and they don't know whether you are supposed to have an I-94 without looking at your passport.
The TSA has no business with citizenship.They don't deal with collecting I-94s. And everyone who travels on visa-waiver no longer gets a physical I-94 anyway.

When we did have physical I-94s they were collected by the airlines (and you'd better try to make them take it yourself, 'cause they didn't always remember that.)

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Affection
FlyingHoustonian: After reading the statutes provided by CBP in your post, my conclusion remains that while searches upon entry are compulsary, searches while leaving (outside reasonable suspicion) are not.

--Jon
Well, when you miss your flight, which they regularly do, you can come back and report it to us.

It seems like you don't fly enough to run into them so I wouldn't trouble yourself about it.

The fact remains, it is cumpulsory. They can stop you from getting on the plane, and it is in the US code linked. Carpe google.

Whether any of us like that is not the point.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Well, when you miss your flight, which they regularly do, you can come back and report it to us.

It seems like you don't fly enough to run into them so I wouldn't trouble yourself about it.

The fact remains, it is cumpulsory. They can stop you from getting on the plane, and it is in the US code linked. Carpe google.

Whether any of us like that is not the point.
Absent a court involvement, can they stop a US citizen from deciding to no longer attempt to exit the country? Thus no grounds for applying exit control to such person? Mistaken or not, I was under the impression that legally they have the authority to enforce exit controls too.

A person showing up at a US port of entry on US soil is different than a person showing up to exit the US but changing their mind.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
The TSA has no business with citizenship.They don't deal with collecting I-94s. And everyone who travels on visa-waiver no longer gets a physical I-94 anyway.

When we did have physical I-94s they were collected by the airlines (and you'd better try to make them take it yourself, 'cause they didn't always remember that.)

DanishFlyer
I wasn't responding to that point, I was responding to the argument that the CPB has no right to look at anything for people leaving the country. I agree with you and others that the TSA has no right to insist on looking at a passport. I would ask, though, that everyone with a passport present it to the TDC unless they have an objection to doing so, so that we can get back a report of a TDC not knowing what a passport is.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
I wasn't responding to that point, I was responding to the argument that the CPB has no right to look at anything for people leaving the country. I agree with you and others that the TSA has no right to insist on looking at a passport. I would ask, though, that everyone with a passport present it to the TDC unless they have an objection to doing so, so that we can get back a report of a TDC not knowing what a passport is.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

However, it is still the case that CBP does not normally inspect passports on air departures from the US, maybe sometimes they do, I have never experienced this.

And even then inspecting the passport (without a scanner linked to "the system") would not tell them all that much. People's circumstances change during their stay without necessarily meaning a change in the passport or becoming illegal or overstay.

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
I don't see what the problem is when asked to show your passport along with the boarding card.
The U.S. and Canada are the only countries that I know of that do not have an exit check using a customs or immigration agent. Think of exiting Japan, UK, Schengen Zone to non-Shengen zone, South Africa, India, and even Singapore to an international destination. You have to show you passport and boarding card to someone who will then stamp your passport with an exit stamp.
So if a TDC asks you for your passport when you are travelling internationally, why make it a problem? They are just making sure that you have the docuements to proceed to the next level in the Security Theater game.
I am no fan of the TSA, but I don't have a problem with showing my boarding card and passport as id when asked to do so by the TDC.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not to be an @ss, but do you know who I am?

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

--Jon
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
I don't see what the problem is when asked to show your passport along with the boarding card.
The U.S. and Canada are the only countries that I know of that do not have an exit check using a customs or immigration agent. Think of exiting Japan, UK, Schengen Zone to non-Shengen zone, South Africa, India, and even Singapore to an international destination. You have to show you passport and boarding card to someone who will then stamp your passport with an exit stamp.
So if a TDC asks you for your passport when you are travelling internationally, why make it a problem? They are just making sure that you have the docuements to proceed to the next level in the Security Theater game.
I am no fan of the TSA, but I don't have a problem with showing my boarding card and passport as id when asked to do so by the TDC.
You can do as you like, and your views are reasonable as they apply to yourself. Others don't want the TSA pawing through their passports. Others just want the TSA to follow TSA rules, which are that presenting an ID on the approved list satisfies the ID requirement. Their views are reasonable too.

If the TSA wants to make sure you have your passport so you will be ready for CBP, or for entry at your destination, they can just ask you, do you have your passport? In addition, the airline always wants to see it.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:51 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Not to be an @ss, but do you know who I am?

--Jon
Not to be an @$$ either but yeah I've read many of your posts here, and your blog (I fly more not that that is a good thing ), and I commend your "lawsuit"good luck (re: your link), though when I was a registered lobbyist I actually affected change in the TSA and I have posted more than once about how people on this site really can get change.
First it takes money and organisation. Not to digress to much but lawsuits will do little, as can be seen by the many posted here. It will take direct congressional action to change TSA (and DHS). I can tell you from the lobbying world you need money, volunteers, time and organisation/leadership.
Complaining about the feckless TSA policies and leadership on this board is nice for all of us to vent but if you a do a search the same crap has been happening for years. Venting here doesn't fix it. Congress made it and congress must fix it.

As for the outbound checks-I fly international flights, on average, once a week (some corporate, some government, most commercial). My hit rate for exit checks is about 3-5% YMMV

I don't like anything about a "papersplease" society and I've lived in some much worse than here. However, CBP does have the right to stop and ask for documents when exiting the USA and they can examine you when leaving.
As GUwonder alluded, whether one can say no and turn around and leave? Well I don't know. Great question. I've never been in the position to try, I always had to be somewhere so with as little speech as possible I turn over my passport and move on.

again, good luck with all of it.

BTW a long read but http://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=235140 talks about the FEB being outbound at Airport and Land Borders, somewhere around page 23 or 24 You could always email CBP and ask (use a public computer and e-mail i you like) they will tell you specifics.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 pm

--Jon
My guess is that you'd have to present ID to CBP solely as a law enforcement officer, just as you would if the police asked to view ID (even as a driver, you could lawfully hold up your operator's license to the closed window of a car and be in compliance with that one), but I too find nothing that states that you must present a passport to CBP, and especially TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.