Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
When I had $1500 worth of tools "surrendered" in OKC, among the options I was given was that I could put them in my car. I said I would take that one but my car was back in Nashville. They still would not let me have them back. I did not have time to take them back and check them as they had one line open for a lengthy early morning queue and I had lost much of my extra time standing in their line of incompetence. My son was traveling with me. They followed us to the gate and gave him a full pat down at the gate under a "random" selection. He was the only one of a plane full of people that was "randomly" selected. I almost selected a later flight option, but that would have required two tickets because of my son.

I am still frosted about this incident as they took stuff that had literally been through checkpoints 100's of times, had been handled and inspected by screeners, and had always been given a "go." Yet this one time they were too dangerous to take on a plane.

Because of this, I must check the replacements in my bag on every trip, along with other things that I can not be certain will survive the screening. It is a huge data point along my path to recognition of the stupidity of the TSA and their processes.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantge; AmEx Plat; SPG; Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I forget who, upthread, is the H2O2 chemist (you?), but I'd suspect that to generate a reasonable concentration you'd need a closed contained with the strip in it, and the strip would need to be impregnated with the reagent, for the same stability reasons.

Are peroxide based contact lens solutions forbidden in any volume? I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get them through if desired anyway. Then all we need is a volunteer to sacrifice his or her soda by dumping the solution into a cup and asking a crew to test it.

1) See test strip crew
2) Dump soda, replace with contact lens solution.
3) Hang out around survey team looking suspicious
3a) Look like a kettle. Approach team saying "I feel so much safer here with you protecting me. Will you make sure my taco bell drink is safe too?
4) Watch chaos evolve.
Three things:

There's not a crew, persay - the same agents who searched my bags (1 agent, 1 trainee) performed the test. I removed the cap, they waved a strip over it and squeezed the bottle. Did 3 test strips in total (1 by the agent, 2 by the trainee).

Based on this experience, I do believe they are wholly forbidden, because they will set-off the strip. I jokingly said that if I really wanted to mess with a friend, I would just poke a small hole in a bottle of the stuff and drop it in a friend's luggage (which elicited a grin from the agent, and from the trainee "why not just use fertilizer", which definitely shut down the happy mood I had gotten the agent into.)

FWIW, though, this policy might be a new one. I have flown out of AUS more than 5 times in the past two months and always had the solution in my bag. I think it was only an issue this time because I took it out of my toiletry bag and set it in open view.

Have to say, though, love that plan. Especially if you can put it into a cup clearly bought there, that day. Perhaps a Starbucks with the timestamp and location codes printed on the side?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
When I had $1500 worth of tools "surrendered" in OKC, among the options I was given was that I could put them in my car. I said I would take that one but my car was back in Nashville. They still would not let me have them back. I did not have time to take them back and check them as they had one line open for a lengthy early morning queue and I had lost much of my extra time standing in their line of incompetence. My son was traveling with me. They followed us to the gate and gave him a full pat down at the gate under a "random" selection. He was the only one of a plane full of people that was "randomly" selected. I almost selected a later flight option, but that would have required two tickets because of my son.

I am still frosted about this incident as they took stuff that had literally been through checkpoints 100's of times, had been handled and inspected by screeners, and had always been given a "go." Yet this one time they were too dangerous to take on a plane.

Because of this, I must check the replacements in my bag on every trip, along with other things that I can not be certain will survive the screening. It is a huge data point along my path to recognition of the stupidity of the TSA and their processes.
Did you ever file a complaint with TSA about that, Ink? Not that it would go anywhere, of course, but still.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Did you ever file a complaint with TSA about that, Ink? Not that it would go anywhere, of course, but still.
And hopefully Ink monitored Ebay and the OKC Craigslist for his tools...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
- I have no doubt a test strip sensitive enough to detect peroxide vapors could exist. What I know is that the concentration of hydrogen peroxide (that is one specific kind of peroxide, with distinct chemical properties of its own) above an open flask of liquid hydrogen peroxide under 100 C (which could be held by a person) is not sufficient to be detected by a strip (you would need a special vaporizing equipment to elevate it to high enough concentrations). Vapors above cups are the experimental setup in which strips are currently being used in airports. Even this patent suggests that a closed environment would be needed to detect vapors, and does not specify which vapors would be detectable.
Hospitals etc, use VHP indicator strips to monitor spatial (room) sterilization. I don't know if these are what the TSA has nor whether they are sensitive enough to detect the minute vapor from an inert, room temperature, low-volume container as you point out.

Easy enough to find out; get hold of some (commercially available - Steris and Chemdi are two brands), fill a water bottle with H²O² and wave away. Then try eye drops or a Starbucks' latte .
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
No, as it was before I found this forum and learned all of the useful information that I now have in my bag of tricks. I did watch eBay but not Craig's list. I should have checked the Oklahoma surplus sales.

I had spares and I was headed home, so it was not a huge loss as I did not have to buy replacements. It was more the stupidity than anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.